We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Assistance with travel and restaurant

Brampton, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Assistance with travel and restaurant

Hi,

I am a part of a group of 40 travelling to Israel in a few months.

I need some help in finding a transportation company that can take us on a nightly basis from our hotels (Jerusalem, Tiberias and Tel Aviv) to a restuarant and then back to our hotel. We would be happy with a maximum of 4 vehicles.

I also need to find restuarants that are able to deal with a group of 40. I've been in contact with a few but I would love to hear suggestions for the experts here.

Thanks,

Heidi

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,935 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Assistance with travel and restaurant

As part of a group of 40, do you not have a bus?

The big buslines could provide transportation on an 'as needed' basis. Companies such as Maya Tours provide buses on a contractual basis for longer or short term.

There are many restaurants that could meet your needs but you would definitely need advance reservations.

You would need to provide more information about your choice of restaurant: budget, middle of the road, fine dining. Restaurant food in Israel may be more expensive than you pay at home (if you are Canadian from Brampton Ontario). Do you want a kosher restaurant, meat or milk restaurant or does it matter if the restaurant is kosher or not.

In Jerusalem, Anno Ticho House has a fabulous dairy restaurant that is just top notch when it comes to serving groups. I took a group of 40+ there last year and I still shake my head thinking about how wonderful that evening was. They have lovely gardens, terrific food, excellent service.

In Tiberias, Decks is the place to go. Right on the water, it is THE place for fish in Tiberias.

If you go further north about a half hour or 40 minutes north of Tiberias, Dag Al HaDan is a very special restaurant right on the Dan River. Fish freshly caught and you sit outside surrounded by the trees and the water. Fabulous.

The fish is prepared any way you like it and they have quite a selection.

In Tel Aviv there are so many, many choices from very expensive to very reasonable.

Brampton, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Assistance with travel and restaurant

We have a bus to do the touring in the day but we need to take care of our own dinner arrangement.

Restaurant choices would be middle of the road. We love to try local dishes. Last year we spent 2 weeks in Greece and loved every minute of it. It does not matter to us if the restaurant is kosher. We are not picky people, we just love good service and good food.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,573 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Assistance with travel and restaurant

You can ask the tour company to provide transportation for dinner at addtional cost. The driver will also appreciate a good meal, as he works hard all day (ditto for rhe guide). You need to use a bus company with vehicles in each city, such as Egged or a different company for each city. You may not need transportation if the restauramt is nearby the hotel. Another option is reserving dinners at the hotels(especially for Friday night, specifically in Jerusalem or Tiberias).

Chana

Israel

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Assistance with travel and restaurant

Where are you staying?

1. If you are staying in a large hotel, you could eat in your hotel an evening here and there. Less hastle, and the food is usually decent, if not exciting.

2. We could recommend places that are within walking distance.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,545 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Assistance with travel and restaurant

Except for the Sabbath I would recommend NOT eating in the hotel. Get out and see real restaurants. In many areas there are many restaurants in walking distance of the hotels. Where are you staying? It would seem to me that after being on a tour all day you would want to move a little. Also, are all 40 necessarily going to go together every night. Going alone in family units, especially when in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem will provide a very different experience than being with a group of 40.

You will need to have reservations in place for a group of 40. You can't just walk into a restaurant. Your tour company should be able to help you with this.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,016 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Assistance with travel and restaurant

If you are staying at hotels in the centre of Tel-Aviv and Jerusalem there will be dozens of restaurants within walking distance of your hotel. There will be no need to arrange transportation.

A wide variety of restaurants are available, serving every type of food, not only Middle Eastern.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,500 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Assistance with travel and restaurant

Regarding transportation, definitely work with your tour company to arrange for the transport with the bus you will be touring with. You already have a bus and driver in the area and this should be much less costly than setting up something separate.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,778 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Assistance with travel and restaurant

I agree on the transport. I also agree that if you are in the city, walk to restaurants (except for those who may have mobility issues) -- you'll have lots of choices within walking distance.

As for Annette's recommendations, I have decided that she and I need to go to Israel together. We have identical restaurant tastes!

Douglas Duckett

9. Re: Assistance with travel and restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 09:16