We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galilee area or Eilat?

West Hartford...
Level Contributor
220 posts
218 reviews
Save Topic
Galilee area or Eilat?

We're going to israel in April, 2013 for 16 days. The air is booked, but no hotels yet.

We know that we want to spend 4 days in Tel Aviv (Neve Tzedek area - possibly a rental apartment) and about a week in Jerusalem (possibly the Harmony Hotel) - but am trying to decide whether to spend the rest of our time in the Galilee area or in Eilat. I know they are very different areas - rural/agricultural/mountainous vs resort/beach/desert. We want to visit both areas, but don't want lodging in both areas - rather to visit one of these areas as a day-trip out of Jerusalem.

So, we're looking for opinions on which area is better for a day-trip.

Our interests are historical & nature.

Lastly, we would like to visit Petra - I know there is a lot of information on Petra here and elsewhere, but my (possibly foolish) concern revolves around whether ones ethnic background should be a concern for visiting Jordan.

Thanks,

Bert

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galilee area or Eilat?

Whilst the Eilat region has its own grandeur and beauty, go to the Galil, particularly given your interests.

With regard to the ethnic background of people visiting Petra, you don't mention what your background is, not that it matters. Many Israelis visit Petra with no problem.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
822 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galilee area or Eilat?

I have never been to Eilat but have been to Aqaba across the border. If you want to go to Petra then Eilat would be your better option for your lodging - you can't do it as a day trip. Petra is amazing and you won't be disappointed but you really need to stay overnight as the entrance fee is 90 Dinars for a day trip and that is reduced to 50 if you stay in Jordan.

Everyone in Jordan was so friendly and I cannot see how your ethnic background would be a hindrance.

Having said that l loved the Galilee and Golan and with 16 days I think you are selling this area short by only doing a day trip. If it was me I would deduct a day from either Tel Aviv or Jerusalem and spend at least 2 days there..

You will love Israel and don't fret about ethnic background at Petra - amazing sight and should be (along with Jerusalem) on everyone's bucket list (IMHO).

Enjoy

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,910 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Galilee area or Eilat?

Your question is not very clear. I understand you want to stay in Tel Aviv for 4 days and possibly do day trips from there? One week in Jerusalem which is a great idea. However your question of to visit the Galilee or Eilat is not clear as you mentioned doing them as a day trip from Jerusalem. This is not possible. Eilat is a 5 hour drive from Jerusalem and most of the sites in the Galilee are over 2.5 hours away. You can choose to go to one or the other but not both if you are unwilling to stay in both locations overnight.

Regarding Petra I don't know what your ethnic background is, but I have never heard of any problems with anyone visiting Petra. Do note however, that if you want to visit Petra you will need to go to Eilat and stay there overnight at least one night. While there is a possibility of flying to/from Eilat for a one day tour of Petra it is not recommended because of the extremely long day and expense for such a day.

Chana

Israel

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Galilee area or Eilat?

The Eilat option is the more feasible ofnthe two options if you want to combine your Israel trip with an excursion to Petra.

Otherwise, I'd pick the Galilee, hands down.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,922 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Galilee area or Eilat?

I second IndigoGrrl's response.

Missing the Galilee is missing a huge piece of Israel. There is just so much to see and do. In April, the hills will still be green. To see the Galilee, especially the upper Galilee is not a day trip. With over 2 weeks in Israel wly not plan

3 days Tel Aviv

3 days Galilee

6 days Jerusalem (day trip to Masada and the Dead Sea)

3 nights Eilat/Petra then fly back to Ben Gurion for your departure

Israel is a small country but it is not that small and travel times, especially around Tel Aviv and Jerusalem can be much longer than what you see on a map due to traffic jams. It is very common to sit in traffic on the highway into Jerusalem. It will take away a lot of the time for touring.

West Hartford...
Level Contributor
220 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Galilee area or Eilat?

Thanks for all of the responses. Unfortunately, it looks like if we want to go to Petra, then we have to go to Eilat, for at least one night - and probably two. Holding true to my original intent (no more than 3 hotel stays in 15 days), then we need to choose between the Galilee area and Eilat/Petra.

Luckily, we have time to think about it. We may have to do 4 hotel stays - something we try not to do, as it seems almost impossible to get to know an area in less than 4 or 5 days - which is something we like to do.

Thanks to all.

bert

7. Re: Galilee area or Eilat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2013, 10:17