We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Eilat to Galilee area

West Hartford...
Level Contributor
220 posts
218 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from Eilat to Galilee area

Can somebody tell me how long it will take to drive from Eilat to Sharona in the Galilee area? Google indicates it's about 4.75 hours, but, it's hard to tell from Google maps what kind of road it is, and if that estimate is accurate.

Thanks,

Bert

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,910 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Eilat to Galilee area

From Eilat to Sharona (?) if in the Galilee would take closer to 6 hours. You just drive up road 90 and then continue to your destination. The drive up 90 is partially 90kph and partially 60 kph and takes about 6 hours from there no more than 1.5 hours to your destination depending on its location and traffic when you travel. The drive from Eilat to Tel Aviv alone is 4.5 hours.

Google maps does not always show you how to get to the destination you think you asked for.

Chana

Israel

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,134 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Eilat to Galilee area

I had to look up Sharona. It's in the Lower Galilee, next to Road 767 (from Kfar Tavor to Kinneret) - around 10 km northeast of Kfar Tavor.

Stay on Road 90 to Tzemach at the southern tip of Lake Kinneret (Sea of Galilee), then turn left (direction of Tiberias) continuing on 90 and turn left (west) at Kinneret Junction (2 km after Tzemach), on road 767. Sharona is about 11 km from there.

(I do maps; I don't drive!)

West Hartford...
Level Contributor
220 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Eilat to Galilee area

Thanks, Chana.

I was afraid it was going to take longer than Google was reporting. At least I can't get too lost with just one road!

We communicated on another thread when I was first planning the trip. For such a small country, Israel took a lot of planning! Our itinerary is now to stay 3 days in Tel Aviv, fly to Eilat for 4 days, and while in Eilat to take a 2-day trip to Petra/Wadi Rum. Then to drive to Sharona - providing the opportunity to see just about the whole country, although I'm not sure it will be a very scenic drive. Then back to Jerusalem for 6 days.

Thanks for the help!

bert

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,544 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Eilat to Galilee area

You should budget more than one day for driving from Eilat to the Galilee via Hwy 90. The logical place to stop is at the Dead Sea to visit Massada, the Ein Gedi Nature Reserve and go for a dip. You can stay overnight at the Massada Youth Hostel if you want to do the sunrise climb. Other places to visit on the way are Timna and Bet Shean. You don't need two days in Eilat.

Edited: 09 August 2012, 07:27
West Hartford...
Level Contributor
220 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Eilat to Galilee area

<<You should budget more than one day for driving from Eilat to the Galilee via Hwy 90.>>

Yes, the drive time is a bit more than I like. But, I checked the Youth Hostel at Massada and it's booked for the day(s) we'd want next April.

Any suggestions for a another place between Eilat and the Galilee area that would be a good place to stay for one or two nights - ideally within a day-visit of Massada?

thanks,

bert

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,447 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Eilat to Galilee area

Yes, Kibbutz Ein Gedi, about 15 minutes north of Masada.

Douglas Duckett

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,658 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from Eilat to Galilee area

There is a youth hostel at Ein Gedi too which is similar to the one at Masada.

When you say you checked with the Masada Youth Hostel and they are already booked - is this based only on their web site or did you contact them directly? If your trip is more than 6 months ahead the web site may show no openings simply because it has not been updated properly. If so - write or call the hostel directly, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,544 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from Eilat to Galilee area

There are also many hotels at Ein Bokek, just south of Massada.

West Hartford...
Level Contributor
220 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting from Eilat to Galilee area

<<When you say you checked with the Masada Youth Hostel and they are already booked - is this based only on their web site or did you contact them directly?>>

Yes, I contacted them by email, and they quickly responded that they were full on the dates I provided.

I had prevously found a hostel web site that showed a calendar, and the days we wanted were shown as booked for all rooms, as were every Sunday in April - apparently Sundays are very popular! - even 8 months out.

I contacted two different kibbutzim in Ein Gadi, but neither could book anything that far out. They both used the same web booking site. They told me that I'd have to wait until October to book.

Sometimes it pays to prepare in advance - sometimes it doesn't!

bert

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,658 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting from Eilat to Galilee area

Planning ahead doesn't always work the way we want - but at least you've checked out all the options.