We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jordan (Petra) & Israel - Mar 2013

E W
NY
5 posts
Save Topic
Jordan (Petra) & Israel - Mar 2013

Is 7 days enough to tour Petra & Israel?

what is the weather like in Mar 2013.

Thanks!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,498 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jordan (Petra) & Israel - Mar 2013

Seven days is not sufficient to tour Israel alone on a first visit IMHO. If you'd like to combine Petra with Israel, you'll ideally need at least 12 days.

Passover begins on 25 March 2013. Avoid visiting Israel for the first time during the week long holiday. Earlier in March is not an ideal time to visit either. I suggest you try to plan your trip for early April 2013.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,409 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jordan (Petra) & Israel - Mar 2013

The most popular way to travel between Jordan and Israel is via the Arava crossing between Eilat and Aqaba. Traveling between the center of Israel and Eilat requires nearly a full day each way so if you take a day tour to Petra you will have only four days for the rest of Israel. This is definitely not sufficient.

Alternatively you could fly from Tel Aviv to Eilat and back which would save those two days of traveling but even six days in Israel is hardly enough.

The best idea would be to extend your trip.

I also suggest that you post some info about your interests, budget, etc.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,743 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jordan (Petra) & Israel - Mar 2013

Save Petra for another trip and tour Israel for an entire week. 1 day Tel Aviv, 2 days north, 3 days Jerusalem, 1 day Masada/Dead Sea.

Chana

Israel

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jordan (Petra) & Israel - Mar 2013

The short answer to your question is 'no, 7 days is not enough time to tour Petra and Israel'.

You should have 2 days for Petra and ideally 10 days as a bare minimum to see only the main sites in Israel.

If you only have one week and can't extend, then it would be reasonable to do Petra and just get a taste of Israel but you may only be able to see (Jerusalem) and just barely that. Alternatively, spend the entire week in Israel and see the fantastic archeological sites there instead. You won't be disappointed.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,115 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jordan (Petra) & Israel - Mar 2013

I too have to say no--one week isn't enough to really see Israel. You would be rushing around and not know what you were looking at.

The time before Passover has a slight chance of rain but it is probably less expensive than the time AFTER Passover. I see no problem with your visiting in early March. DO stay away from the Passover holiday week--when prices go way up and things get very crowded.

New York City, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Jordan (Petra) & Israel - Mar 2013

Myself and another friend (2 ladies in early 30's) have a total of 8 days for a trip planned Oct 10-19, 2013. We are torn between how much time to spend in Jordan and Israel. We would be flying in from Dubai because that is where my friend lives now. What would you suggest the best itinerary be to cover history/archaeological sites and Dead sea/night life.

Key is 8 days total of allotted travel time, 1.5 days in Dubai and flight time.

Thank you for any guidance!

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
3,801 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jordan (Petra) & Israel - Mar 2013

Because you actual start point is Dubai, best is to fly to/from Aman. Take a tour to Petra and Wadi Rum (2 days) and use the boarder crossing between Aqaba and Eilat. A day at Dead Sea and Masada, 2 days in Tel-Aviv and 3 days in Jerusalem. (You will not be able to see the north of Israel). Unfortunately the closest border crossing will be King Husain bridge (Jerico) which is the slowest.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,115 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jordan (Petra) & Israel - Mar 2013

May I also suggest you start your own thread. The date on this one is in the past and not everyone will respond.

9. Re: Jordan (Petra) & Israel - Mar 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 August 2014, 21:35
10. Re: Jordan (Petra) & Israel - Mar 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2015, 05:15