We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to Travel to Israel - October 2012

Indianapolis...
3 posts
Save Topic
Safe to Travel to Israel - October 2012

I'm growing concerned about my pending trip to Israel in mid-October. Is there reason to consider canceling considering the unrest with Middle Eastern embassies, talk of strikes on or from Iran, and the pending US elections? I've been before and felt safe, but I know the circumstances surrounding the area are even more tense than normal.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,023 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe to Travel to Israel - October 2012

It is currently very quiet in Israel and there is no tension. The events in surrounding countries have not affected daily life here. Nobody here can predict what will happen in the future. My personal opinion is that there is no reason to change your plans.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,528 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe to Travel to Israel - October 2012

Another vote for don't change your plans - things are quiet and calm and obviously no one has a crystal ball to see what will happen tomorrow - let alone in a few weeks.

There is a lot of saber rattling and name calling going on - but that's it.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,581 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe to Travel to Israel - October 2012

Another voice for not cancelling. If everytime there wad unrest in a country neighboring Israel people cancelled their trip to Israel, no one would ever come. As mentioned there is no crystal ball but Israel is an island of calm which hopefully will stay that way.

Chana

Israel

Indianapolis...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe to Travel to Israel - October 2012

Thanks everyone. So you're not seeing any change in daily activity? No unusual or additional warnings or concerns from local government?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,728 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe to Travel to Israel - October 2012

Nothing unusual going on in Israel right now. It's business as usual. Come and enjoy.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,528 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe to Travel to Israel - October 2012

The only unusual thing going on now is that we are in the midst of a holiday season - loads of tourists from around the world and lots of Israelis touring around the country.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,023 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe to Travel to Israel - October 2012

Unusual activity? None whatsoever.

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe to Travel to Israel - October 2012

Go and enjoy......and welcome to TA.....my fellow Hoosier. I am 35 miles sw of Indy.

Kathy

Indianapolis...
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe to Travel to Israel - October 2012

Thank you!

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
3,368 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe to Travel to Israel - October 2012

I add my vote, if it's needed, to all those saying that we can see no reason today to change plans to come to Israel. Huge numbers of visitors are coming and enjoying their stay, and large numbers seem likely to come over the coming weeks and months.

I don't quite agree with some of the claims of total normality given above, although I well understand the motives behind them. To answer your direct question, Erik, there is much discussion of possible developments with Iran in the Israeli media and this issue is never off the home page of any Israeli news website.

Oreets in message 2 gave a balanced and credible answer I can sign my name to.

Edited: 27 September 2012, 17:54