We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancelled Trip for Nov.18-30. Need help with airlines

Arizona
Level Contributor
57 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Cancelled Trip for Nov.18-30. Need help with airlines

We had booked airfare with US Air thinking that an american based airlines would not fly into Israel during a conflict. Big mistake. We canceled the day before and thought we were ok. Everyday I called prior and after I was given a different story. Trying to compose a letter/email to them again with all the facts, but wondering what the rest of you experienced.

I read on a thread here that El Al refunded everyone and other airlines put them in a trip bank. Do you have to pay cancelation fees, rebooking fees, change in airfare prices?

We were supposed to visit our daughter studying at BGU but they were relocated to the south so we wouldn't have been able to travel with her then.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,929 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancelled Trip for Nov.18-30. Need help with airlines

I sympathize with you but am not sure what you would like people on Trip Advisor to do.

The term "conflict" is vague. I would have considered it a localized flare-up which did not affect any tours or tourist areas.

Hindsight is crystal clear....

Dr. Z

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancelled Trip for Nov.18-30. Need help with airlines

Well, the facts are that Beer Sheba (where BGU is located) was under rocket attack for a week, including a few hits, and many residents spent long (and scary) hours in bomb shelters. Even Tel Aviv had 2 or 3 rocket attacks and there were hits in its southern suburbs.

I think you meant that your daughter was relocated FROM the south to the NORTH??

Eilat, Israel
Destination Expert
for Taba, Eilat
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancelled Trip for Nov.18-30. Need help with airlines

There are places south of Beer Sheva...........Eilat, hello? don't forget us.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,970 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancelled Trip for Nov.18-30. Need help with airlines

rxtemp--you can try posting on the Air Travel Forum for ideas, but I think you will find that you are going to be told that when you buy an airline ticket you are essentially entering into a contract with the airline, If the airline wants to be more generous than the restrictions of the contract that is their privilege ( as El Al did) However, an airline isn't under obligations beyond the terms of the contract. You cancelled and you need to deal, unfortunately with the consequences. ( at best ,I think ,you'll be charged a change fee AND the new price--if prices have gone up since you booked. )

Airlines--and I know I wrote this more than once in response to questions will only cancel flights if their insurance companies refuse to insure them. As Dr. Z said it was not a conflict but a localized action and nothing happened near the airport.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,281 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancelled Trip for Nov.18-30. Need help with airlines

Cancellation charges are clearly stated on each ticket. Most airlines stock to their policy. It is much easier to reschedule a flight than outright cancel. In such instances many airlines will wave the change fee regarding situations such as what was going on in Israel. This, by the way is another reason to take our travelers insurance, which may (or may not) cover the costs you have incurred.

Chana

Israel

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,630 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancelled Trip for Nov.18-30. Need help with airlines

This is NOT another reason to get traveler's insurance, as I cannot imagine insurance covering cancellation under these circumstances. Parts of Israel were affected, not all. And since even the last post admits it may or may cover the cost, I can't imagine why that's a "reason."

But some airlines were waiving cancellation or rescheduling fees through this; Delta did. And again contrary to what you were told above, that would not have been on the ticket; it was a special waiver. But we can't answer that, only the airline can.

Douglas Duckett

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
919 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancelled Trip for Nov.18-30. Need help with airlines

To answer the OP's original question, US Airways had a travel advisory in effect if traveling to Tel Aviv between the dates of the recent rocket attacks from Gaza. However, they were only waiving the change fee on non-refundable tickets if you rebooked. They were not refunding restricted tickets. Assuming you had a non-refundable ticket, since you cancelled it before your scheduled departure, you should be able to exchange it for a future ticket within 1 year of original purchase date. You would have to verify that the rules of the airfare you purchased allow this, as not all do. I would also contact US Airways customer service and ask if they would consider waiving the penalty to change your original ticket when you're ready to use it again due to the circumstances.

Bottom line, your original ticket most likely still has value that you can exchange towards a future ticket on any US Airways flight, not just to Tel Aviv.

…philly.com/2012-11-16/news/35135916_1_tel-a…

Arizona
Level Contributor
57 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cancelled Trip for Nov.18-30. Need help with airlines

Thanks Whirlwind. That's what I needed. US Air does not have this info anymore and is denying this. Saying travel from Nov. 19 on was covered, while I was traveling Nov. 18. It's more complicated since I was leaving from a small airport with no seats available over Thanksgiving week to rebook me on and I could not change my return flight.

What I was hoping from readers is to understand what accomodations other airlines actually made. I read here El Al was refunding but wanted to fact check.

BTW, my daughter and the overseas group were relocated south to BGU at Sde Boker, which was very safe and everyone was so welcoming to their group.

9. Re: Cancelled Trip for Nov.18-30. Need help with airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 17:15