We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to Pack for Haifa?

Haifa, Israel
14 posts
Save Topic
What to Pack for Haifa?

Hi there,

Me and my husband, we are moving to Haifa( Technion) for a year or so. I want your suggestions, like what to pack before I move to Israel. Other than comfy Clothes what else should I pack..deodorants, multivitamins, sunscreen?? What Should I carry?

All the help in this regard is appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

Mentioned in this post
Haifa
Haifa
Haifa District, Israel
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
819 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to Pack for Haifa?

deodorants, multivitamins, sunscreen can all be bought in any supermarket

you;d only bring them if you;re uncomfortable with trying another brand (sunscreen is expensive compared to other place like the US)

i wouldn;t waste weight on any toiletries

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,729 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to Pack for Haifa?

Bring your clothes. If there is a certain brand of something you just cannot live without, then bring some with you (whatever product) until you get acclimated into what to purchase here. It used to be that alot of products could not be found here, but that is not the case today. Bring a rain poncho (especially for Haifa), comfortable walking shoes, medications you take regularly (for the first few weeks).

Enjoy your stay here!

Chana

Israel

Mentioned in this post
Haifa
Haifa
Haifa District, Israel
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,946 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to Pack for Haifa?

The suggestions I have is to bring some sunscreen to start you off. I find the price of sunscreen to be about twice what you would pay in NA.

Also, if you are used to taking Aspirin bring some. The usual over the counter pain killer in Israel (as well as Europe) is Paracetamol. It is excellent but North Americans in general are unfamiliar with it. I believe Aspirin (also called Cartia) is a prescription drug in Israel.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Europe
Europe
World
Haifa, Israel
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What to Pack for Haifa?

Thanks. I think I will pack some sunscreen till I get acclimatized to the new surroundings. Do you suggest packing some small amount of Indian grocery to start off immediately in Haifa.

Being an Indian, I can't live away from my chilli powder, cumin and other condiments. Should I pack it or I can get these easily at Haifa.How about Levis and Zara? Can I buy these brand there at Haifa? Can't live without my Levis and Zara.

I cant wait to move to Israel. I am sure Technion is a great place to work.

Mentioned in this post
Haifa
Haifa
Haifa District, Israel
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,729 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to Pack for Haifa?

There are spice stores throughout Israel, including some specialty shops. I'm sure you will find what you like but bring a small supply until you find the right store. Since you are allowed only one piece of luggage I'd skip the sunscreen which is heavy and takes up precious space.

Aspirin is available over the counter, so no problem with that.

Chana

Israel

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,218 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What to Pack for Haifa?

Haifa is a big modern (and beautiful) city, with plenty of supermarkets and department stores. All supermarkets have a large selection of spices.

There are two branches of Zara in Haifa: the Grand Canyon mall and the Kiryon Mall.

zara.com/webapp/…Stores

You can buy just about anything in Haifa that you have ever heard of, and more!

Edited: 19 December 2012, 18:23
Mentioned in this post
Haifa
Haifa
Haifa District, Israel
Grand Canyon Mall
Grand Canyon Mall
50 Reviews
Haifa, Israel
Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
12,400 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to Pack for Haifa?

Do your shopping for clothes in U.S. Israel is a very expensive country. A pair of Levis 501(checked 2 days ago) cost a100$ here(400 shekels). Dont worry about spices. Haifa is a modern city, but it is a Middle Eastern town as well. Only fools buy spices in supermarkets when you have all those colorful, authentic Arab stores in Downtown. You will love Haifa and enjoy Technion.

Edited: 19 December 2012, 23:21
Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Haifa
Haifa
Haifa District, Israel
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,272 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to Pack for Haifa?

Everyone is responding as if the OP is coming from the US. The address on their name is SOUTH KOREA--so info on price comparisons etc. etc. may not be accurate

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,416 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to Pack for Haifa?

South Korea is cheaper than Israel so bring your cloths. You can ship them not take with you on your flight together with some other stuff. As for spices you can get everything here, either at the open market downtown or at many shops. I suppose the only thing you won't get here is kinchi, but there are many other hot spices... There is one Korean restaurant in Jerusalem. Did not try it yet, but I plan to. You will love it here, people are friendly, quite like in Korea, or at least we felt like that when we visited Seoul in 2010.

Edited: 20 December 2012, 14:03
Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel
israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,416 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to Pack for Haifa?

South Korea is cheaper than Israel so bring your cloths. You can ship them not take with you on your flight together with some other stuff. As for spices you can get everything here, either at the open market downtown or at many shops. I suppose the only thing you won't get here is kinchi, but there are many other hot spices... There is one Korean restaurant in Jerusalem. Did not try it yet, but I plan to. You will love it here, people are friendly, quite like in Korea, or at least we felt like that when we visited Seoul in 2010.

Edited: 20 December 2012, 14:05
Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel