We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

update to changing money

Perth Australia
Level Contributor
457 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
update to changing money

Just a brief update please. I will bring an atm card when I arrive in June but had planned to also bring some Australian dollars. Someone mentioned a money changer near the Jaffa gate in Jerusalem. Is there one? Or did they misunderstand me and mean there is an ATM machine there?Any comments?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,334 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: update to changing money

There are currency exchange locations all over Jerusalem and all over Israel. Why specifically the Jaffa Gate?

You'll also find ATM machines everywhere. Most feel this is the most convenient way to obtain our local currency.

Perth Australia
Level Contributor
457 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: update to changing money

Hi David the guide

I am staying in accommodation near the Jaffa gate and someone had mentioned there was a money changer there. I wasnt sure if they had misunderstood my question and they meant an ATM thats all.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
8,809 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: update to changing money

There are licenced money changers all over the country (no commission), usually in areas frequented by tourists. The Post Office also exchanges foreign currency with no commission, but they have longer lines and shorter hours. However, you can always check their current rates online as a basis for comparison:

http://www.israelpost.co.il/postcurrency.nsf/WebDisplay/$First?opendocument&l=EN

Check the fees charged by your bank or credit card for withdrawing cash from ATMs.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,224 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: update to changing money

Perhaps it would be helpful to clarify to folks how they find licensed money changers (vs. people working the streets). Is there a clear sign or designation?

Douglas Duckett

Washington State
Level Contributor
2,164 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: update to changing money

>Someone mentioned a money changer near the Jaffa gate in Jerusalem

To answer the question, yes, there is (or always has been) a little stall there. As you start down David Street he is on the left, by the door for the Petra Hostel. If you hit stairs, you missed him.

I have used him on occasion and his rates have always been fair.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,055 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: update to changing money

Money changers are clearly marked with a sign in English that says Change on it. There maybe a currency symbol and may say money changer. Since this form of business has become legalized I doubt one would find someone on the street converting money.

I do not recommend using any changers inside of the old city including just inside Jaffa Gate as their rate of exchange is terrible compared to others. There is on in Mamilla on the right when exiting Jaffa Gate, or walk aling Jaffa road for a better rate.

Chana

Israel

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,766 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: update to changing money

While I do not know the rates given by the money changers in the Old City I do know that the money changer in the Mamilla Mall offers horrible rates and I would never use him unless I was totally and completely desperate. I have frequently asked his rates and walked out. I use globes.co.il ( you can click English on Top left ) to get the current rate and then drop a few points. ie. right now it shows( along the bottom) 3.72 shekels to the dollar. I would expect to get 3.69-3.70 and would accept no less then 3. 67 ( if I was needing money badly)

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,055 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: update to changing money

Rdglady, true Mamilla's rates are not great at up to 15 agorot to the US dollar, but in the Old city they are up to 30 agorot to the US dollar (note that 5-7 agorot to the US dollar as commission is a good rate). I have done my homework and continue to do so on a regular basis when it comes to exchanging foreign currency when out and about.

Chana

Israel

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,564 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: update to changing money

Some of the better rates I have found are at two money changers who are at the lower end of Ben Yehuda St.

If it's a one time deal, then a few cents won't make all that much difference, but consider that less than half a block away from these two places is a money changer that takes 10 agorot a dollar more - it adds up.

BTW - Chana and rdglady are right about the inflated rates charged by the money changers right inside the Jaffa Gate and at the Mamilla Mall.

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
819 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: update to changing money

Does the Kent shop at the corner of the midrachov and yafo still exist

they used to give good rates