We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental car trunk size

Boston...
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Topic
rental car trunk size

I am looking for confirmation that the Mazda 3 has enough trunk room for 2 large luggage bags as it says on the rental car websites. In a past tripadvisor answer, one person said it fits one large and a small bag comfortably so now I am wondering. If anyone who knows this car type can help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

thx! anne

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,224 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rental car trunk size

I looked at a Mazda 3 when traveling with two other friends last May and went with a Mazda 6 instead. With that, there was no problem, though we had some of our luggage in the back seat. Depending on how "large," a Mazda 3 might be tight. Others will weigh in as well.

I'd suggest you go to a Mazda dealer in your area and look at a Mazda 3. That's what I did.

Good luck!

Douglas Ducektt

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,766 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rental car trunk size

I was going to write check it out at a dealer or go online to Mazada and get information. I had suggested that to Douglas--and he took my suggestion and now beat me to sharing it. --oh well--we all are constantly sharing what we learn from each other!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
194 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rental car trunk size

Hi Anne,

Yes, the Mazda 3 can fit two large suitcases, though it may be a bit cramped. For more trunk space, you may be more comfortable with the Mazda 5.

Enjoy your trip.

Boaz

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,564 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rental car trunk size

Thanks for the information Boaz, but a Mazda 5 is a minivan and while it has more room for luggage, it doesn't have a trunk per se - and so does not offer the option of having your luggage hidden from prying eyes.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,055 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rental car trunk size

The Mazda three will fit some large suitcase, but not all types if there are two of them. In any case when renting a car there is no confirmation that you will get exactly a Mazda in this range. There are other cars with a larger trunk in this class such as Kia-Forte and Mitsubishi-Lancer have more room -- to fit two large suitcases.

This I know from personal experience with all three models and trying to get all luggage in the trunk at one time. BTW, if you are only two people the back seats fold down so you can lay one suitcase there in a pinch.

Chana

Israel

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,863 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rental car trunk size

My experience in renting cars in Israel is that I rent one car online but when I arrive in person, I get the car in the same class that is available. You may do a rental for a Mazda 3 but end up with a different car with different trunk space in the same category. If space is important, go up a size in the rental categories.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,224 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rental car trunk size

The "car in same class" tip is important. As I recall, when I booked through Eldan, the class was the Mazda 6 or the Ford Mondeo, which is not sold in this country and I could, therefore, not "pre-screen." I took my chances and got the Mazda 6 (the Ford Mondeo could well have been fine), but I am very glad that I did not try to do three with the Mazda 3.

And I forgot that tip came from you, rdglady -- a belated thank you!

Douglas Duckett

Edited: 29 January 2013, 17:34
Boston...
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: rental car trunk size

All of you have such great and indispensable advice! I would not be able to plan my trip this well without you.

FYI, I spoke with a local Mazda dealer who measured a Mazda 3 trunk to save me a trip, and although we figured our luggage would just fit, it would be tight. I will definitely go up a car size and request a car in the same class (with trunk!) if the one I ask for is not available.

Many thanks to all, anne

Maplewood, NJ
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rental car trunk size

I'm confronting this exact dilemma - we are going to be three in a car, each with a relatively narrow but long duffel bag on wheels. I think we'll end up needing to put one of the back seats down to fit everything in, which may make the ride less comfortable for our teenage son in the remaining back seat, which already seems short on leg room from what I saw in a video review of the car. But upgrading to the Mazda 6 class is over 50% more money for a 1-week rental, which seems crazy to me. Figuring out the car rental with all of the confounding insurance options and exclusions is easily the worst part of planning this trip.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,275 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rental car trunk size

We have been doing the same thing here. The thing is that if you are travelling around you probably want your hand luggage to be hidden from sight as well as your big suitcases. It is a very good idea to go up a size.

We took one of our suitcases to a car dealer a couple of weeks ago to check boot sizes and my dear hubby didn't dare admit we were only checking to find the right size car for a rental, so he let the car salesman assume we were buying. As a result we ended up with a test drive in one of those new cars that park themselves! Very cool experience, but we did wonder what the legal implications would be if the car was involved in an accident while it was self-parking!