We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 day trip to israel

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
9 day trip to israel

Hello,

I'm a single non-religious Jewish woman planning my first trip to Israel. I'll be there 9 days, arriving on a Tuesday, and want to make the best use of my time. I wont have a car, so I'll have to rely on tours. I'd like to take a tour to the North and don't know if it would be more interesting and beautiful to do the West coast trip to Ceaserai, Acre and Rosh Hanikra for one day or take a two day tour which includes Tzfat and the Golan Heights but not the West coast.

Any suggestions for 9 day itinerary?

Also, in Jerusalem, I'm considering staying in either the American Colony hotel or the Harmony Hotel. Which would be the safest, most pleasant and easiest to get around from? Or is there a better alternative?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,753 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 day trip to israel

The Harmony has the best location, right in the heart of Jerusalem with every thing you need by you.

With 9 days you coulld take both tours. What else you want to see?

troy mi
Level Contributor
907 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 day trip to israel

The 1 day west coast tour is definitely worthwhile. Given your parameters, IMHO the Tzvat/Golan add on would be interesting but a lower priority depending on your other priorities to the south. Jerusalem is definitely 3 days for the Old City, Vad Yashem, Davidson Arch Garden, Israel Museum and another full day for the Masada/Dead Sea tour.

Re hotel, I think the Harmony (and that area) is much more desirable with lots of restaurants/shopping that are very walkable

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 day trip to israel

Thanks so much for your reply. I'd like to spend a little time in Tel Aviv visiting Jaffa and the Diaspora museum, and of course go to many of the cultural and historical sights in Jerusalem. I'm also hoping to visit the West Bank to get a first-hand impression of the situation there. There are a couple of alternative tour companies that go to various places there. Do you think it's safe?

I have the opportunity to extend my stay from 9 to 12 days, but given that I'm travelling on my own, I was afraid that 12 days might be too long. What do you think?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,364 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 day trip to israel

In Tel Aviv, if there's one museum you can go to, make it the Palmach Museum rather than the Diaspora Museum. But in order to visit the Palmach Museum, you need to reserve an English language tour and usually months in advance.

Definitely choose the Harmony Hotel over the American Colony.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 9 day trip to israel

Thanks Davetheguide. I love your posts. I'll definitely check out the Palmach museum and stay at the Harmony Hotel. Any suggestions for hotels in Tel Aviv and ways to visit the North would be greatly appreciated.

Edited: 08 February 2013, 23:05
Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,382 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 9 day trip to israel

In Tel Aviv, as Dave suggested - do the Palmach museum ( palmach.org.il/Web/…Default.aspx ). If time permits - visit the Jewish Diaspora museum too ( www.bh.org.il )

I suggest you to do the Tzfat (city of Kabbalah) + Golan Heights tour. Make sure the Golan Heights day, you go to Gamla { http://tinyurl.com/by5jt73 } & ancient Qatzrin.

I would allocate 7 days for Jerusalem, don't miss those sites:

* The old city and the Jewish quarter in it (take a walking tour)

Sites not to miss in the old city and the Jewish Qtr:

** The Western Wall

** The Western Wall tunnel (pre-booking is needed)

** Chain of Generations Center (pre-booking is needed) (can take a bundle ticket with the previous site)

** The "Burnet house" site

** The "Hurva" synagogue (guided tour)

** Ariel Center - 1st temple period Jerusalem

** Tower of David - The Museum of the History of Jerusalem, located in the historical Jerusalem citadel near the Jaffa gate. Visit the museum by day and watch the night spectacular at night (reserve in advance)

towerofdavid.org.il/English/General/Tower_of…

Outside the old city:

* City of David ( http://www.cityofdavid.org.il/en ) (do Hezekiah’s Tunnel)

* Mt. Zion and King David's tomb

* Israel Museum ( http://www.english.imjnet.org.il/ )

* Yad Vashem - the national holocaust museum (taking the guided tour is recommended) ( www.yadvashem.org/yv/en/visiting/index.asp )

* Underground prisoners museum ( itraveljerusalem.com/en/museum-underground-p… ) (pre-book English tour)

* Jaffa street, Ben Yehuda street

* Machne Yehuda market

* Temple mount sifting project ( cityofdavid.org.il/en/tours/mount-olives/tem… )

* Visit the national hill, including the supreme court (English daily tour (sun-thu) at 12:00), the roses garden, the big menorah in front of the Knesset, Israel's parliament. (preferrably take a guide, if you can - do visit Mt. Herzl too with him)

* Tour the Hasmonean aquaduct ( cityofdavid.org.il/en/tours/armon-hanatziv/h… )

Day tours from Jerusalem:

* Dead Sea area: Qumran national park, Ein Gedi nature reserve, Masada national park & the Dead Sea beach

* Herodion national park

Jerusalem official tourism website: http://www.itraveljerusalem.com/

Personally, I suggest you to extend the trip to 12 days, so you won't be "stressed" on the time limit.

Where do yo do the Shabbat during the trip? important to plan.

Summary:

Tel Aviv: 2 days

North: 2 Days

Jerusalem: 7 days

Dead Sea: 1 day

Total: 12 days

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,908 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 9 day trip to israel

12 days is NOT too much time in Israel. It is barely enough time! If you can do 12 days, definitely do it.

It is quite safe to visit the West Bank. There are several alternative tour companies that offer tours. You can take from either a Palestinian point of view or a Jewish point of view. Each of those tours are definitely biased but you can see with your own eyes that things on the ground are not like what is reported in the media here in Canada. You could do this as a day trip from Jerusalem.

The best way to visit the north is to rent a car. It is really easy to do. You can rent a car in Tel Aviv and head north via Ceasarea, Haifa and Akko. If you want the Israeli experience, you can take a bus up to Kiryat Shemona (be prepared to say it several times when they question if you are SURE you want to go to Kiryat Shemona!, not a lot of tourists on that bus). From the bus station in Kiryat Shemona, it is 2 blocks to the Eldan car rental place. Don't do this on a Sunday, all the soldiers are heading up north and it is a bit too busy. However, I always think that taking public transit is a way of getting to see the country and meet Israelis. You can drive back south and return the car in Jerusalem. There are no drop charges for renting in one place and returning in another.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 9 day trip to israel

What fabulous advice everyone is giving me. Thanks for all the great links Amos.

Anmejoshme. It would be interesting to do two tours of the West Bank--in order to get views from both sides. Can you recommend tours?

Edited: 09 February 2013, 02:12
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,908 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 9 day trip to israel

I haven't taken any tours myself. I have traveled in the area on my own.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,364 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 9 day trip to israel

In Tel Aviv, consider staying at one of the boutique hotels in the Atlas Group (www.atlas.co.il). My favorites are the Shalom & Relax Hotel and the Melody Hotel. BTW, the Harmony Hotel in Jerusalem belongs to the same group.

Remember - in order to visit the Palmach Museum you can't be spontaneous. You need to order the English language tour far in advance (sometimes months in advance if you're coming in a busy season).

In Tel Aviv, don't miss a walk through Neve Tzedek followed by a stroll down Rothschild Blvd. Visit Independence Hall while you're there. Definitely chill out at the Tel Aviv Port at sunset and have a drink there at 'Shalvata.'