We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jerusalem to Tel Aviv via Abu Gosh by Bus

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Jerusalem to Tel Aviv via Abu Gosh by Bus

Hello all,

We will be travelling back after a days sightseeing in Jerusalem by bus and would like to stop off in Abu Gosh to eat. Is there a bus route that does this journey?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,233 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jerusalem to Tel Aviv via Abu Gosh by Bus

superbus has a few routes that will take you from Jerusalem to Abu Gosh and then from Abu Gosh to Tel Aviv. You can find schedule information at www.bus.co.il

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,708 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Jerusalem to Tel Aviv via Abu Gosh by Bus

No. All buses from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem go directly on Highway 1, not through Abu Ghosh. Sometimes if the highway is very busy with huge traffic jams the buses will detour through Abu Ghosh, but since it isn't a scheduled stop on that route they will not let you off there.

There are buses from Jerusalem to Abu Ghosh, run by a company called Superbus, going several times a day. It's route 185. You can see the times here:

http://tinyurl.com/aphv6ke

Note that the buses do not leave from the central bus station in Jerusalem. They start from a stop opposite the Jerusalem International Convention Centre (Binyenei Ha'uma), which is opposite the central bus station.

When you come out of the bus station in Jerusalem you will be on Jaffa Road. Cross the road, and the light rail tracks, and follow the crowds on a narrow path (there is a big fenced-off building - or rather digging - site on the right as you walk on the path). You will then be opposite the Convention Centre, and there are several bus stops there. It's a very busy area and if you need to ask directions you won't have trouble finding somebody to tell you.

Don't take bus 189 listed on the timetable; it goes fairly near Abu Ghosh but doesn't enter it.

Posted simultaneously with Oreets. Note there is NO bus from Abu Ghosh to Tel Aviv; you have to return to Jerusalem.

Edited: 25 February 2013, 11:56
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,233 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jerusalem to Tel Aviv via Abu Gosh by Bus

After reading Shuffaluff's post I double-checked since I was sure I saw buses from Abu Gosh to Tel Aviv when I searched the first time.

Perhaps this is a new addition to the route - but the 189 and the 186 both go from Abu Gosh to the Arlozorov Terminal in Tel Aviv - again double-check to see that the times will work out for you, otherwise you will have to backtrack to Jerusalem and then take the express bus to Tel Aviv.

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jerusalem to Tel Aviv via Abu Gosh by Bus

Thank you. Looks like I will have to miss my visit to Abu Ghosh on this visit.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,708 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Jerusalem to Tel Aviv via Abu Gosh by Bus

Oreets, no, that's not correct.

The 189 is from Jerusalem to Telz Stone (Kiryat Yearim). Returning from Telz Stone to Jerusalem the buses continue to the Shoresh interchange because there is nowhere else for them to turn round.

The 186 is from Jerusalem to Beit Meir and doesn't go to Abu Ghosh.

These are all Superbus routes.

I'm at work now and can't get the Otobusim website to do much. Can you point me to the site where you found those buses from Abu Ghosh to Tel Aviv? If it's true, it's new to me. They won't be operated by Superbus because of the conflict with the route numbers.

Got site to work. It says from Abu Ghosh to Tel Aviv you must go via Jerusalem. I didn't think it was anything else.

Edited: 25 February 2013, 12:10
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,708 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Jerusalem to Tel Aviv via Abu Gosh by Bus

OK, here's what I did, and I did it in English so the OP can read it as well!! I entered start place as Abu Ghosh and destination as Tel Aviv. This is what came up.

http://tinyurl.com/a5btcbd

It's bus 18whatever to Jerusalem, and then another bus from there. The 185 is the only one that actually goes all the way through Abu Ghosh. The others merely pass close by.

That's the only way to get there from Tel Aviv.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,233 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jerusalem to Tel Aviv via Abu Gosh by Bus

Thanks for the heads up Shuffaluff - I thought I had it right, but I guess I missed the fine points - thanks for the accurate information.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,708 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Jerusalem to Tel Aviv via Abu Gosh by Bus

No problem. I live in Superbusland and am familiar with all these routes!

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jerusalem to Tel Aviv via Abu Gosh by Bus

Thank you all for your efforts. Much appreciated.

USA
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jerusalem to Tel Aviv via Abu Gosh by Bus

If I take a taxi from Ben Gurion Airport to Jerusalem, would it ordinarily go through, or very near, Abu Gosh? Would it be unusual for me to ask the taxi to stop for a few minutes in Abu Gosh so we could buy some hummus and maybe other food to take with us?