We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Topic
Renting a car

I am going to visit Israel for 5 days in April. I will be staying in Jerusalem. I thought the most efficient way to get from Tel Aviv airport to my hotel in Jerusalem would be renting a car. Am I making a mistake? Is there an easier, better way to attack this problem?

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,436 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car

The most EFFICIENT way would be to just rent a private taxi from the official taxi stand out side the terminal door. Cost would be somewhere around 175 NIS, approximately. ONLY use a taxi from the official stand, not a rougue driver. Also, insist on the fixed rate from the driver, not the meter.

The other LESS efficient way would be to rent a sherut, or a shared ride. This is usually a mini van type of vehicle that waits until there is a full load of customers before leaving. This runs about 50 NIS (I may be a little off there)

Those are usually the 2 main ways people get to Jerusalem from TLV as hiring a car just for Jerusalem has some negatives.

Traffic and parking in the city are wasteful times for a tourist and there really is no reason to have one. All areas are very accessible by taxi, light rail, or walking.

Which hotel are you staying at?

Dr. Z

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,935 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car

It is not advisable to rent a car if you are staying in Jerusalem. The parking and traffic in Jerusalem is a challenge. It is easy to take public transit or just walk to most places in Jerusalem. For things a little out of the way, just take a taxi, still considerably cheaper than renting a car.

To get to Jerusalem form the airport, take a sherut (shared taxi). It costs 62 shekels. Go to the taxi stand and the sheruts will be waiting and you will be directed to one going to Jerusalem. As soon as there are 10 people on board they will take you to your hotel in Jerusalem. You might not be the first dropped off and might get a bit of a tour of Jerusalem first.....note that they can't take you to your hotel if it is in the Old City or some locations in East Jerusalem but will take you very close so you can either walk from there or they will make arrangements with a taxi for you if it is too far to walk. This is the most effective way to go at a low price. Of course, you can always take a private taxi to Jerusalem.

The bus or train are not options to Jerusalem from the airport- the trains from the airport don't go to Jerusalem and the buses don't come into the airport.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,436 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a car

I think they want the most Efficient, not the most effective.

Either way, getting a private taxi is the most efficient and effective.

The reason I asked for which hotel they are staying due to the reason you pointed out. It can make a big difference if they are staying in the Old City.

Dr. Z

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a car

halpert2, I have nothing to add to my friends perfect advices above, except to mark the fact that the airport, Ben Gurion int'l, while marke as "Tel Aviv" as destination city, is actually located about midway between Jerusalem and Tel Aviv. The ride to Jerusalem is about 40 minutes.

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a car

Do you have different advice if there are two travelers? I imagine the cost olf the shared sherut would be doubled. We are staying at Agripas 40, Jerusalem, Israel, 94301. Will the taxi or sherut be able to take us there directly?

Thank you for this advice, although I have traveled around the world, this I'd my first trip to Israel.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,779 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a car

A sherut charges by the passenger, so yes -- doubled.

A sherut should take you to any address in Jerusalem for a fixed price (exception for inside the Old City or some parts of East Jerusalem). Agrippas Street should be no problem.

Douglas Duckett

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,534 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a car

The sherut will take you right to your door for this address - and yes, the cost will be 62 NIS x 2 - still less money than a taxi.

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting a car

Looks like I have my answer. Thanks for being so kind and efficient with your responses.

9. Re: Renting a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2014, 06:15