We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phone calls to US - need advice

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
411 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Phone calls to US - need advice

Verizon does not have an Israel plan so I'm looking for advice re: best way to get a phone for my child to use on a trip to Israel in order to

a) call US cell phones AND

b) call Israeli friends within Israel

Options I'd like to explore:

a) rent in Israel

b) rent ahead of time and have phone delivered to US before he leaves

Also would like comments/opinions on the different companies out there - if anyone has an experience to share.

Thank you!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,435 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phone calls to US - need advice

Rent ahead for delivery -- I use Amigo (www.amigo-us.com). I've had good experience and reasonable rates. I believe another company (talknsave?) is recommended on this forum, too, but others will add their advice.

Douglas Duckett

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,126 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phone calls to US - need advice

REnt in advance. The two best companies ( google for websites) are talknsave and amigo. If you are flying El Al ( and possibly other carriers) they have deals. These companies will send you the phone in the US.

BTW Verizon DOES have an Israel plan but it is very expensive and you would be foolish to use it. ( every time I turn on my Verizon phone in Israel to access a phone number I get a SMS telling me to contact them for rate information and use them while in Israel)

Edited: 20 March 2013, 16:19
Paragon
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phone calls to US - need advice

Another recommendation for AMIGO.....works well....rates are reasonable.

Kathy

4. Re: Phone calls to US - need advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2014, 05:16