We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What order to do things in......

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
What order to do things in......

I am once again planning for my 8th trip to Israel. Had made some plans for March of this year and postponed.

Debbie and I are now looking at mid-October with an arrival on or around the 15th of October and departing for home on or around the 30th of October. It will just be the two of us. I had a few "good possibilities...." "definite maybes"....but, that just isn't going to happen and we are looking forward to a very independent trip in which we will drive in the north (first time to do any driving in Israel!)

My question....rather elementary.....is whether to secure lodging and then buy airline tickets OR do it in the reverse??

We know quite well where we want to stay. I feel rather strongly that since it is about 7 month before our trip we should be fine with getting airfare first............(I have a good price tracked down today..LOL)...but, it would be rather devastating to choose dates, book airfare and then not get the lodging we want.

Advice? Thanks, friends.

Kathy

Paragon, IN, USA

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,453 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What order to do things in......

Normally, I would say book your flights first - you shouldn't have problems getting the hotels you want that far out, especially since it is not a holiday period. However, if the specific hotels are that important book them first.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,749 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What order to do things in......

Check with the hotels if the dates you want are available, but book your flights first. This should not be too difficult since your trip is so far in advance.

Chana

Israel

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What order to do things in......

I have sent queries regarding hotel in Tel Aviv, hotel in the north and apartment in Jerusalem. I am hoping that the replies come really quickly. *smile*

My main "issue" today was that I found a ticket that meets my needs (only 1 plane change) for about $300 less than it was showing not long ago.....and I want to jump on it, but, have Debbie's desires regarding lodging to take into consideration as well as my own (her desires mirror mine, btw)......

Kathy

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,435 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What order to do things in......

I will give a different answer -- book your lodgings, particularly your beloved Nof Ginosar now. You can almost always cancel without penalty on the lodgings. And, yes, get Debbie locked in on dates so you can grab good airfares! If the airfare is there, you can book the lodgings later -- I know you are flexible even if your faves aren't available.

I'm excited for you! Not long after you return, I take off!

Douglas Duckett

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What order to do things in......

After yet another phone discussion with Debbie.....our dates are going to be (with still a little flexibility on each end, but, not much).....an October 8th departure out of the USA, 2 nights in Tel Aviv (9 and 10), six nights in the North (Nof Ginosar we HOPE)..........and a full week in Jerusalem (hopefully in Sharonsplaces 1 bedroom apt. that is attached to Sharon's home).........arriving back home on October 25th. I have sent inquiries re: these dates and requests to the appropriate folks and hope to hear back soon and then book the airfare. Debbie has so many air miles that the cost of airfare isn't such a concern to her as it is to me. Thanks, everybody!

Kathy

Israel
Level Contributor
5,164 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What order to do things in......

So glad to hear that you're planning another trip. Great news, Kathy!

7. Re: What order to do things in......

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2014, 04:17