We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shlomo Rent a Car - By far worst rental experience

Allentown...
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Shlomo Rent a Car - By far worst rental experience

I used this company service during our family trip to Israel in September 2012.For starters i have to say that we were forced to buy additional car insurance at the counter in TLV airport. Even after presenting car insurance i bought from Expedia i was told that I can not have a car without paying for insurance from the car rental company. Unfortunately my husband and kids were tired and rather than arguing and waiting for manager who was MIA at that time we just paid. With added insurance the price for my rental more than doubled. My car rental become $254.99 instead of $108.00. Plus $77.00 i already pay for Expedia car insurance. This would be all "water under the bridge" if month after our visit i would not get charge on my credit card for $15.78 and and another one 3 month later for $27.60. The only way to contact anyone in the company is email. after corresponding for a week or so i finally get some answers. On my request to send me company policy regarding car insurance i was told that it was my choice to get insurance and they can not get my money back. I was also told that charges were for toll road and speed lane. On my logical question why i was not notified about upcoming charges and proof of charges i never get an answer. Now, April 1 2013 - 5.5 month later i am getting another charge on my credit card for $25. I am planning to dispute this with my credit company until i see documented proof. I am a reasonable person and really do not mind to pay if i owe for toll or ticket but i do hate when someone feels free to charge my credit card without notification. They have my full information on their record and if they too cheep to send mail they can at lees send email to me.

My husband and I are traveling abroad few times a year, we were renting cars in Israel before and were renting from Sixt before in other countries and we never had any problems. Normally we were getting copy of the ticket or invoice from the rental company with a notification regarding upcoming charges. This is by far our worse experience. I will never rent from Shlomo Rent a Car or Sixt again.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,639 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shlomo Rent a Car - By far worst rental experience

I'm sorry to hear of your negative experiences with Shlomo Sixt, unfortunately, you are far from the first to have a problem.

However, at least for some of your issues I have to justify the company. The contract you signed does indicate that you will be charged for any tolls you incur plus a service charge for processing these charges. This is the norm with every rental company in Israel. Whether you think it is right or not is not the issue - none of the rental companies send you a "heads up" that you will be charged for tolls, nor do you get a breakdown of these charges. I suppose that if you request this information it should be available.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,915 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shlomo Rent a Car - By far worst rental experience

Instead of signing up to TA for a complaint you should have consulted the forum before your trip and would have found out that this comapny gives a miserable service. Still Oreets has good points, you should read your contract. Sorry it happened to you.

Allentown...
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shlomo Rent a Car - By far worst rental experience

Thank for your response and again I am not agains the charges I am agains your service. And we did get letters and copies from Spain, Germany and USA rental companies before. And none of rental company force us to buy car rental insurance either.

Allentown...
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shlomo Rent a Car - By far worst rental experience

Good point. Problem is that when I was ordering on Expedia i was ordering Sixt Rental Car - the company i already knew and rented from - not Shlomo

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,639 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shlomo Rent a Car - By far worst rental experience

Your experience only serves to highlight the standard advice that is given on this forum all the time - do not book your car rental with the parent company but only through the local, Israeli site. It will eliminate many problems and you will get accurate information regarding the insurance, rates, etc.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,309 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shlomo Rent a Car - By far worst rental experience

Every international car company is run by a local franchise. This is the case with Sixt.

As Oreet said, your contract tells you, that you will be charged for toll road. Highway 6 has big signs warning you, before you enter that it is a toll road. It would have been foolish to assume that you would not have the charge passed on. Why should a company eat your use? The speed lane on Highway 1 heading towards Tel Aviv also has a sign warning you that it is for "members' There mere fact that the vast majority of cars were NOT going on it, should have told you that you probably should have stayed off too. $108 for a weekly rental is insanely inexpensive, that in and of itself would have been red flag. What kind of car did you rent?

I just went to Expedia and did a dummy booking for the same kind of car I have reserved with Eldan for 4 days in May. Reading the fine print it says that the insurance MAY NOT be accepted by the rental agency. It also said that if you needed to make a claim you would first have to lay out the money and then they would ( hopefully) reimburse you! Not my idea of fund. So, even Expedia tells you, the insurance may not work! My dummy booking btw, was $3.00 less than my rental from Eldan and THAT includes all insurance at Eldan.

Look--I am the last one to stand up for shlomo since they seem to have a number of big problems, but when they are right--they are right! The ONLY thing I would fault them for is not sending you copies of the charges with explanations!

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shlomo Rent a Car - By far worst rental experience

I had almost the same bad experience with Sixt Shlomo 2 years ago. As I always receive very good service with Sixt I was really surprised with Shlomo subsidiary.

The only thing which helped me that time was writing complain to Sixt head office in Germany putting in CC Shlomo Sixt. Head office explained that they do not responsible for Shlomo Sixt and I need to apply to them directly. Shlomo Sixt did not return me back already charged money but at least they stopped charging! One more thing I can suggest - write about your case at facebook or twitter Sixt, as I think it could help to proceed with this question.

Wish you good luck!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
197 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shlomo Rent a Car - By far worst rental experience

Hi LudmilaK69

I'm Boaz and I work for Shlomo Sixt. I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I'd like to speak with you outside of the forums to find a resolution to the issues you had. Please private message me.

Thanks

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,532 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shlomo Rent a Car - By far worst rental experience

Boaz:

Why don't YOU send them a private message ???

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
197 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shlomo Rent a Car - By far worst rental experience

Thank you mbgg

I intended to let others know that I am available to address any concerns. But yes, I will send the message