We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please Critique my trip to TA and Jerusalem

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
822 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Please Critique my trip to TA and Jerusalem

I am returning to Israel on 29th April and this time bringing my sister with me. We have 7 days and hotels booked. We will not visit the Galilee this trip and are not religious although we were brought up Christian and went to Sunday school so know the stories. We are very interested in history.

I have packed a lot in and written it out as a timetable which, if possible I would like to stick to. I was spontaneous on my last trip and although I enjoyed it immensely I missed a lot. This time I want to stick to a schedule and have used TA and Douglas' excellent guide. Although I have been before I want my sister to enjoy this as much as I did and do not want to be walking aimlessly trying to find places as we have so little time, I am not good with maps although my sister is better.

Mon- Arrive in Ben Gurion and take a taxi to Hotel - Beachfront in Tel Aviv,

Tues - Walk along the promenade to Old Jaffa, explore the area and take the Dan HOHO bus from St Peter's Church (no8 on their map). Get off the bus at No 10 Newe Zedek,, visit the Shalom Tower, Independence Hall (outside only), and walk along Rothschild to No 14 (Sheinkin). Board bus again here and go to Rabin Sq (No 18) Spend time on Dizengoff and get bus at NO 20 Azrieu Ctr, continue on bus to No 25 Diaspora Museum and time permitting get off here and visit museum. Take bus from here to Tel Aviv Port. Take last bus back to No 6 close to our hotel.

Wed - Bus to train station and train to Akko. Spend the day here visiting the gardens, Knights Templar passageways, Citadel and Templar Halls.

Thurs - Bus to Jerusalem (early) and leave bags at Abraham Hostel (too early to check in). Take the 11am Holy City Tour (4 hours). Back to Hostel to check in then Sound and Light Show in Tower of David.

Fri - Israel Museum, Mahane Yehuda market and get food for the evening. Taxi to Mount of Olives and walk down to the Garden of Gethsemane, visiting churches along the way. Enter the old city via the Lions Gate and visit St Annes Church. Walk to the Western Wall in time for the lighting of candles. Walk back to Hostel and eat the food we bought earlier.

Sat - Abraham Hostel tour to Masada, Ein Gedi and Dead Sea.

Sun - 10am tour of City of David (we will not be doing the wet tunnel as we are both claustrophobic). Afternoon, Hurva Synagogue, the Cardo, Garden Tomb, 16.30 tour of the Kotel Tunnels (booked), Visit Mamilla Mall.

Mon - Yad Vasham in the morning and then some shopping. Nesher taxi to airport for 8.20pm flight to Manchester.

I would appreciate your comments.

Thank you

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,781 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please Critique my trip to TA and Jerusalem

I think it works, with these comments:

• Tuesday is booked, and you are wise to say "time permitting" on the Diaspora Museum. That's your first full day, so you don't want to wear yourself out at the beginning.

• On Sunday, I'd skip the Garden Tomb. While it is much valued by evangelical Christians, and is a lovely spot, it is clearly not the site of the tomb of Jesus. You say you're not religious, and I think this is one to drop since it is out of the way of your other destinations.

Have a great visit!

Douglas Duckett

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,732 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please Critique my trip to TA and Jerusalem

I agree with Douglas concerning the Garden Tomb. But it's also closed on Sunday so there's no possible way of including the site on that particular day anyway.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,121 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please Critique my trip to TA and Jerusalem

Nice well built program. I like your Tuesday using the HOHO bus effectively. For Akko, go for lunch to Galileo at the Pizan Harbor. It is in the walls next to the sea. Great views and great food, mainly fish that was caught that day. Akko has a lot to offer and you might be time pressed. You could get something light for lunch and go to Galileo for dinner before heading to Tel Aviv. It is not an expensive place.

Another tip - when you get out of the Templar tunnel turn right and walk maybe 100 - 200 meter to an icecream parlour (Uri Buri icecream). Don't miss it!!! It opened recently. I was there about a month ago.

Edited: 03 April 2013, 20:41
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,555 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please Critique my trip to TA and Jerusalem

A few more suggestions. Check the opening times for churches at the Christian Information Center - it would be a shame to get to any church only to discover that you are 10 minutes late. You can find all this info at: http://www.cicts.org/default.asp?id=440

If you want to visit the Hurva Synagogue you need to also make reservations for a tour there.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please Critique my trip to TA and Jerusalem

* Tuesday -

what's your plans at the Shalom tower?

I would recommend to go directly to Rotchild boulevard, walk it up all the way (don't stop at station #14) - just continue by foot, see HaBima theater, its lovely square with the small garden. Continue by foot on Dizengoff street to Dizengoff center. After that, take the bus from station #16 to station #18 - Rabin sqare. Around (but on the other side of the road) the large square in front of the city hall there are great cafes and other stores. Continue to Azrielli center. There's a shopping mall there but more interestingly the Tel Aviv short movie and the lookout. From there - carry on as planned.

Wed - Bus #10 picks up from Ben Yehuda/Shalom Aleichem to Arlozorov (Terminal 2000) which is adjacent to Tel Aviv Central (Savidor) train station.

Thu - Take the same bus #10 to the same Terminal 2000 - this time take the express bus to Jerusalem (#480). The station can be easily spotted - there's a big shed with a big electronic sign (announcing all bus departures) next to it (and big signs- Jerusalem). In Jerusalem - just take the tram (direction 'Heil HaAvir) and descend at HaDavidka stop, near Abaraham hostel.

I advise that after you get check-in to Abraham (and rest a bit) - do a little walking tour - this time in the NEW city. You'll have plenty of time till the night spectacular at the Tower of David.

I'll advise this (in brackets - the letters on the google map)

(A) From Abraham hostel, walk on Jaffa street till Machne Yehuda market (B). Walk the market, do your shopping, back to Abraham hostel to store the goods (C). Then continue on Jaffa street to the opposite direction of the market (D), visit Ben Yehuda street (E), continue back on Jaffa street (F), city hall (G), on to Mamilla (H) and then to the Tower of David (near [I]). If you would have spare time - you'll have plenty of things to see (or sit in a cafe) at Mamilla.

Here's your map: http://goo.gl/maps/NPRMI

Friday: Maximize your time at the Israel Museum (only opens 10:00-14:00) (you already visited Machne Yehuda yesterday). Continue as planned.

Have fun!

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
822 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please Critique my trip to TA and Jerusalem

Thank you all

Looks like the The Garden Tomb is out.

Shoshi, I like the sound of that restaurant, we don't like big lunches but we might consider eating there in the evening and taking a late train back to TA (I will check train timetables).

Oreets thanks for the website for church opening hours, I have sent an email to this link requesting a reservation http://www.jewish-quarter.org.il/contact.asp but as yet have not had a reply. After leaving the City and David and before the tunnels tour we have about 3 hours. Would we have time to visit the Burnt House?

Amos, thank you, I have marked all the stops you suggested on the Dan Map just hope we will be able to find the bus stops!! The reason for the Shalon Tower, I understand it has the history of TA in mosaics? I really want to go to the Machne Yehuda on Friday as we want to get fresh food for our picnic that evening on the roof terrace of the hostel. What if we went there first (early as er are early risers) and the go to the Israel Museum?

Thanks again

Can't wait.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,555 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please Critique my trip to TA and Jerusalem

You will have plenty of time for the Burnt House. Between the video and the archaeological display you need less than an hour.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please Critique my trip to TA and Jerusalem

Yes, there are two mosaics, a model of Tel Aviv and many old photos. Okay then :)

About Machne Yehuda on friday - if you go up early enough that would fit in. Keep in mind the on fridays Machne Yehuda is packed and overcrowded, as people do their shopping before the Shabbat. However, if you show up early I guess it wouldn't be that crowded yet (but prepare yourself :) )

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,033 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please Critique my trip to TA and Jerusalem

Why bother with the HoHo bus in Tel-Aviv. You will waste time waiting for it at every stop. It will be much faster just to take a city bus (or a taxi) and you will have more time to see the sites. For example, you can take a #24 or #25 from Rabin Square to the Diaspora Museum and you won't wait more than 10 minutes.

I would skip the Shalom Tower. A better ideas is to go to Bialik Street and see the Municipal Museum in the Old City Hall building.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
822 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please Critique my trip to TA and Jerusalem

Amos, your comment 'OKay then' is concerning me. I sounds to me like 'if this is what you want to see OK') I don't know if this is what I want to see.

We only have 1 day in Tel Aviv and I want to maximise it. My interest is the development of TA from the port of Jaffa to the emergence of the Israeli state in 1 day (impossible I know but that is all we have Akko is not negotiable) .

You have given me excellent advice on the HOHO bus which I have written into our itinerary. Considering my interest do you think I should forget the Shalom Tower and concentrate somewhere else? We will be travelling from Manchester which is a 5 hour flight and only 2 hours time difference so I don't think our first day will be too exhausting.

I am more or less happy with our Jerusalem itinerary (we are early to bed and early risers so will be at the Market, which is only across the road and up a bit, early). I am still worried about our 1 day in TA which is very important to me.

As I have said I am really bad with maps - What am I missing in Tel Aviv in our time frame?

Thank you