We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flight ? for 2 teens--PLS respond ASAP! booking today!

z2u
boca raton, fl
Level Contributor
226 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
flight ? for 2 teens--PLS respond ASAP! booking today!

Hi! Taking my two teens to Israel for the first time (for them). Deciding between United and El Al. United--Newark or El Al--JFK...doesn't make a difference to us. We are flying business class, and this summer. 1. Anyone know which seats recline better? 2. Also--very important--what kind of TV/movies are onboard? I think United has direct TV with tons of channels and many movies, but El Al has very little. I'd rather not take laptops/dvd players if not necessary, as we are spending two weeks traveling and moving from hotel to hotel. 3. If we have to take laptops, do both airlines have a place to charge each one? 4. By any chance is there internet on either airline?

Thanks so much for your help.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
38,354 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flight ? for 2 teens--PLS respond ASAP! booking today!

Welcome to the Israel forum.

I do not know what United is like but regularly go back and forth on El Al Business.

a. JFK vs. EWR--no difference--whichever you can get the best priced connecting flight to.

b. Business seats in El Al are NOT beds. They are flat ( kinda) but at an angle.

c. El Al does not ( on most of the aircraft) have a modern entertainment system. It is not on demand, but it works!

d. El Al doesn't have internet ( not saying United does)

e. El Al has a place to charge by business seats

I would strongly suggest , regardless of the airline you choose that you fly in and out of Israel on a night flight. This way you are SLEEPING, not watching TV etc. etc. It is much easier to acclimate to Israel time if you are not awake on the plane. My favorite flight is the 009 to TLV and the 001 from TLV. There are flights to/from EWR at almost the same time!

DO NOT take, IMO, the flight that gets in at 6or 7AM. ( to TLV) It seems like you have the whole day but it is an exhausting flight. You leave the US during the day, it is almost impossible to sleep and you basically loose your entire body clock night with the 7 hour time difference~

Now come back and ask us about the trip itself.

BTW if no one knows United business ( they just recently started flying to TLV) try their forum on flyertalk.com

Edited: 05 April 2013, 18:36
israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,226 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flight ? for 2 teens--PLS respond ASAP! booking today!

Check seats on seatguru.com

Level Contributor
162 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flight ? for 2 teens--PLS respond ASAP! booking today!

We flew Business Class this past December on United. EWR-TLV. The seats reclined fully into a bed, plus they give you a real pillow and longer blanket. TV was built into each seat and it was ONDemand. We never flew EL-AL. Very happy with United.

z2u
boca raton, fl
Level Contributor
226 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flight ? for 2 teens--PLS respond ASAP! booking today!

thanks for all the replies. I booked us in business class on el al--without fully reclining beds and tv. oh, brother...

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
38,354 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flight ? for 2 teens--PLS respond ASAP! booking today!

If you booked a night flight--hopefully everyone will sleep. BTW the pillow on El Al are decent and the blanket is long. --and feel free to ask for extra pillows and/or blanket if you need. The other reason I like El Al--they wrote the book on security!

z2u
boca raton, fl
Level Contributor
226 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flight ? for 2 teens--PLS respond ASAP! booking today!

Thanks rdglady... My dad was pretty adamant that we fly El Al for the security... Since you are such a great help, would you mind telling me your thoughts on the "best" hotels in Jerusalem, Tel Aviv and Haifa? as in 5 star, best location, most up to date facilities...however, not romantic--I'm going with 2 teens, so I don't need jacuzzis or glass bathrooms or elegant restaurants. Thanks for any advice.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,972 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flight ? for 2 teens--PLS respond ASAP! booking today!

Best hotels is a broad and very subjective statement.

I understand you want 5 star, good locations, and up to date but what's your budget per night?

Dr. Z

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,933 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flight ? for 2 teens--PLS respond ASAP! booking today!

For Jerusalem, I strongly suggest you go to the David Citadel Hotel, 5 star, great service and wonderful location - and the best breakfasts around.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,793 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: flight ? for 2 teens--PLS respond ASAP! booking today!

My favorite "deluxe" hotels in our two major cities are:

Tel Aviv: Hilton or David Intercontinental

Jerusalem: Inbal

Concerning Haifa, I don't recommend using that city as a base for touring Galilee and the Golan Heights. I suggest you stay in Galilee instead - especially with two active teens. In Galilee you'll have so many options geared for your kids. The best rural accommodations in Upper Galilee are at Pastoral Kfar Blum kibbutz hotel.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,226 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: flight ? for 2 teens--PLS respond ASAP! booking today!

For a real upscale experience you could stay at the Efendi hotel in Akko. http://www.efendi-hotel.com/