We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not Europcar!

west hartford, CT
Level Contributor
157 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Not Europcar!

I would avoid using this rental car company from TLV if at all possible. They don't have any desk at the airport, and persist in telling people to wait for them at the wrong pickup site! They refuse to accept MasterCard World Rental CDW coverage, even though Europcar international says that they do. They do not supply the Toyota Verso car promised, although they did substitute a similar car, the Kia Carens, but with worse fuel consumption, which means something in Israel, with its high cost of gas. And the crowning glory was that they had the nerve to ADD a $22 charge for transport from the airport to their off site rental office! I would not recommend using them, if at all possible. But if you need a seven seater, you may have no choice.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,278 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not Europcar!

Most rental agencies do not accept CC insurace in Israel. Car makes are never promised but rather mentioned as a similar type. Charge for transport to their offices or was it airport tax?

In Israel before badmouthing one company or another check how things are done here and always read he small print especially when booking on line.

Chana

Israel

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,950 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not Europcar!

One correction--it isn't that most rental agencies do not accept CC insurance, it is that most insurances issued through credit cards exclude Israel! There is only one CC that covers Israel--I am blanking on its' name but I do not think it is the one that you had.

Unfortunately, international rental sites frequently make errors and that is why we recommend you go to the Israeli site of any company that you are interested in.

Otherwise Chana makes good and valid points.

west hartford, CT
Level Contributor
157 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Not Europcar!

The only card insurance accepted is Mastercard World card, which I had specifically obtained for this purpose. Europcar's central office told me they WOULD accept it, and I brought a letter to prove this, but the local office refused to accept it. Also, the local office told me that I was being charged for the privilege of being transported to their off site rental location, not an airport tax. Not to mention that the desk person at the branch office was incredibly rude to deal with.

I should say that the return person was more pleasant to deal with. I have not yet received the bill - hope there are no surprises. I also tried repeatedly to contact Europcar about my concerns. Their website will not accept a communication of more than a few words, but it takes detective work to figure this out! Finally, I asked them to give me an email address so I could send them feedback. They gave me one, and I sent feedback. No response and it's been over a week since I sent it. So I stand by my original review. This is a company to avoid in Israel, unless it's your only option for the car type you need, which was the case for us.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,629 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Not Europcar!

I think from his description he has a legitimate beef. He had the right credit card for CDW coverage, and got contradictory information.

Sometimes we have people come on here to complain who clearly did not do their homework. This does not seem to be such a case, and we ought to be careful to rush to defend the Israeli company.

To the OP: You may want to challenge the disputed charges through your credit card company.

Douglas Duckett

2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Not Europcar!

This is the worst car rental car we dealt with. They over charged us and we can not get a hold of anyone who would take responsebility for refunding us. I spoke with about 6 different people, wrote emails and a complaint to their customer service. They STOLE our money and would not talk to us. STAY AWAy

Edited: 03 May 2013, 02:02
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,278 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Not Europcar!

Perhaps you could give a bit more detail into the issue you have run into. As a new poster it would be nice to hear a bit more about your experiences. There is a Sixt employee on this site named Boaz. You can send him a PM and see if he is able to help you rectify the situation.

Chana

Israel

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,950 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Not Europcar!

Europcar is NOT Sixt. Boaz will be of no use to you. But I do agree, if you want to warn people a few details are in order.

Edited: 03 May 2013, 11:57
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Not Europcar!

We rented a car in the airport on Dec. 17, 2012 and returned it on January 6, 2013. We damaged the car in o e area and we were prepared to pay for this. We were charged close to 1 000 US$ for the Damage and we wanted to claim it from our insurance. I called to ask for a report itemizing the breakdown if the cost. I was told to contact Eyal Elisha who was helpful and told us that by accident we were charged for 2 different dmagrs and that we should get a refund. The refund never came. I contacted Eyal again and he told me that Meirav is responsible for that. Contacted Meirav by email, never heard back. Tried phoning never heared back. Called numerous times to the airport branch but it is not their responsebity. They told me to the office in Hulon but they do not answer the phone and I could not leave a message. I wrote a complaint to your customer service online but again no one got back to me.

Our contract # is 18763.

As it is now. I did not get a refund and can not claim anything from my insurance

Please help!!!

Basel
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Not Europcar!

I was extremely disapointed with Europcar Israel and have to say they are by far the worst Europcar office I have ever seen. As our family is an Easy-Jet "frequent flyer" we used to rent from Europcar in all our travels around the world and have never had such bad experience as we had in Israel airport. It started with the fact that they even dont have a stand. ok, i was quickly indicated by the ladies working for the other car rental companies (that had a stand...) who he was, so no big deal, just weird. Then, I was supposed to wait for a shutlle to pick me up from the airport as their office. I waited over 20 minues! the people who were before me said they waited over 30 minues. in 30 dgrees celcius, its really not a nice experience. then, the wierdest thing is that their office is not even at the airport! its about 15 minutes drive away. Then, luckily there was not a long que so i disnt need to wait alot in their office but once my turn arrived the entire process took way way too long. again, we rent alot from europcar all over the world, average time is 5-7 minutes in the counter and you get the keys. here it was over 20 mintes. couldnt undertsant at all what the lady was doing and why it took so long... So, I landed at 11h10 was out at 11h25 (i had only hand baggage) but was on the road at 13h15!!!! SCANDAL

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Not Europcar!

Your experience is quite typical for renting a car in Israel. It is different in different countries but even when there is no line up, it takes 20 minutes for paperwork. Every time I have rented a car this has been my experience. You had to wait 20 minutes for a shuttle? Not so bad. Everything is relative and the fact that they were waiting for you, the car was ready, and you were out of the airport in 2 hours from the time you landed, really, that isn't so terrible. The Hebrew word 'Savlanut' pops to my mind when thinking about this situation. Seriously, I can't rent a car in 5-7 minutes in Canada so I don't think your expectations were realistic.