We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

foil packing in food products - security alarm airport

england
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
1 review
Save Topic
foil packing in food products - security alarm airport

This may seem like a silly question - but on one of my previous trips to Israel (approx 1989), I bought a lot of packets of food to bring back (Telma and Osem packet mix of falafel, kneidel, sahlab, etc), and when I was at the airport to return home, as the security wand passed over my suitcase it set off the alarm and I had to go to a separate room to have everything checked. They said it was because of the foil-aluminum packaging inside the boxes of food.

I was wondering if its still allowed to being these dried food packets home in a suitcase now that restrictions have changed over the years. ?

thanks

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,306 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: foil packing in food products - security alarm airport

In terms of what you are allowed to bring in your checked luggage - no problem. However, any packages that are foil wrapped (and they may be packed differently now) will show up as dark blob in the xray which will probably mean your luggage will be opened and checked.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,606 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: foil packing in food products - security alarm airport

As Oreets said - no problem at all. They'll just make sure it's food and nothing else and will let you pass.

england
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: foil packing in food products - security alarm airport

Thanks. I hadn't thought about the x-ray, good point.

4. Re: foil packing in food products - security alarm airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2014, 06:19