We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ein Gedi to Eilat, via Tel Aviv

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Ein Gedi to Eilat, via Tel Aviv

Our itinerary on our 1st visit to Israel (all accommodation now booked) is basically: 5 days Tel Aviv. Hire car and drive to Haifa for 3 days, drive to Galilee/Golan Heights 4 days, drop car in Jerusalem and stay there for 7 days, Hire car again and drive to Ein Gedi for 4 days. Drive through the Negev to Eilat for 6 days (including 2 days in Petra/Wadi Rum). Fly Eilat to Tel Aviv and then home to Australia.

Our problem is that the Israir flight from Eilat to Tel Aviv only allows 15kg baggage per person. So we thought maybe to drive to Tel Aviv and leave a whole lot of luggage there (including all the shopping no doubt!!) and then the same day drive down to Eilat. Sounds like the whole round trip will take about 8 hours or so. (and we'd like to stop and see the crater on the way. Is this do-able, or are we trying to do too much on this day? Any other suggestions?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,609 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ein Gedi to Eilat, via Tel Aviv

Why don't you just fly to Ben Gurion before your flight to Australia. This way you will have all of your luggage with you and generally the airline will see you are flying overseas and you will have no problems with the weight. It is not clear if you are staying in Ein Gedi for 4 days and what you plan on doing there. Where will you leave your luggage in Tel Aviv if you drive back there from Ein Gedi before going to Eilat. I would not suggest such a proposal. It would be best if you just leave your things in Tel Aviv before going to Ein Gedi and then picking them up on the way to the airport.

What 8 hours of traveling are you referring to? You can visit the Makhtesh on the way from Eilat to Tel Aviv. Plan on at least 2 hours there including Mitzpeh Ramon. I would suggest taking a jeep tour there if budget is available

Chana

Israel

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ein Gedi to Eilat, via Tel Aviv

Thx Chana. I looked at flying to Ben Gurion from Eilat on El Al, but they only have one flight per day at some ungodly hour like 6.30am!! That's why I chose Israir but they fly into the other airport. We would leave the bulk of our baggage at the hotel in Tel Aviv, as the night before we leave for Aus we will be o/nite there. We can't really leave our stuff in Tel Aviv before Ein Gedi as we will be travelling from Jerusalem direct to Ein Gedi (unless I suppose, we travel from Jerusalem back to Tel Aviv and drop some luggage at the hotel, and then head to Ein Gedi.).

The 8 hours I was referring to was Ein Gedi to Tel Aviv plus Tel Aviv to Eilat. We plan to stop on the way at the crater.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,232 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ein Gedi to Eilat, via Tel Aviv

Why don't you drive from the Galilee to Eilat via the Jordan Valley and the Dead Sea. Leave the car at your hotel for the two days in Jordan, then drive to Jerusalem via Mitzpe Ramon and return the car. Stay in Jerusalem until the end of your vacation and take the sherut to the airport.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ein Gedi to Eilat, via Tel Aviv

Thx mbgg, not a bad plan, but I have already booked the various hotels and it will be really hard to swap around at this stage.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,232 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ein Gedi to Eilat, via Tel Aviv

It may be easier to change the dates at the same hotels than solving your luggage problem.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,408 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ein Gedi to Eilat, via Tel Aviv

Did you check Arkia? ( http://www.arkia.com ). They also operate domestic flights from Eilat to Tel Aviv municipal and Ben Gurion int'l airports.

If you're flying home, definitely take a Ben Gurion int'l bound flight, to save the hassle in the transfer between airports.

7. Re: Ein Gedi to Eilat, via Tel Aviv

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2014, 06:18