We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant recommendations and clothing

Boston
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant recommendations and clothing

Coming to Israel next Sunday - very excited! Looking for recommendations of restaurants in Tel Aviv (1 night) and Jerusalem (mainly staying here).

Also, looks like it will be a heat wave next week in the area. Is it okay to show knees, arms, etc at sites? A skirt and modest tank top, or do I need to have something longer and a wrap to cover arms?

Thanks!

Boston
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant recommendations and clothing

Just realized I should add some more info on what we like to eat. We semi- foodies and I'm a vegetarian although hubby is not. Atmosphere is important as well as a great meal!

troy mi
Level Contributor
909 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant recommendations and clothing

where staying in these cities? - Plenty of options for vegees everywhere. I would suggest for TA, taxi or walk north to the Port area which has been re-configured for dozens and dozens of very nice and casual restaurants on the water where you will both find something. No issues for clothing in TA but yes re modesty for religious areas of Jerusalem - I'll let the women answer that one

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,406 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant recommendations and clothing

I'll start with clothing first - with the exception of visiting religious sites you can basically wear anything you like and are comfortable with - you will see plenty of shorts, sleeveless, tank tops. For religious sites your skirt or slacks should be at least knee length and you need at least short sleeves an a modest neckline - you can use a shawl or wrap to cover up.

In terms of food, especially as a vegetarian you have plenty of options - give us an idea of whether you want street food, inexpensive options or fancy sit down dinners. Also - when in Jerusalem don't miss the Machane Yehuda market - a treat for all your senses.

Boston
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant recommendations and clothing

Thanks for the info!

In Tel Aviv, we are staying at the Gordon hotel and in Jerusalem first on Agrippas street and then near the King David hotel. Looking for a sit down nice meal rather than street food

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,889 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant recommendations and clothing

Here are two very different suggestions for Tel Aviv:

1. Dr. Shakshuka in Jaffa near the Clock Tower. This is Notrh African Jewish food (kosher). They serve salads and a main dish. You could go for the shashuka - 2 eggs in a tomato spicy sause, and your husband can eat either couscous or plate of mafrum etc...

2. The Old Man and the Sea at the Jaffa port. You'll enjoy the 12-15 salads (all vegetables) and the majadara (lentils with rice) and your husband can have fish in on the grill, fried or whatever. Consult the waiter.

Very typical Israeli food and great atmosphere. Both are not cheap but not expensive either.

Edited: 21 April 2013, 18:03
troy mi
Level Contributor
909 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant recommendations and clothing

From the KD area, walk south to Emek Refaim - plenty of casual and very nice locally-popular restaurants in this area of the German Colony (English is not an issue). If locals do not suggest places, use Google maps for that street and search for "restaurants". From the Gordon, it is an easy stroll to the Port area.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,406 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant recommendations and clothing

One more wardrobe suggestion - no matter how hot it will be during the day, the temps in Jerusalem always drop once the sun starts going down. The difference between day and night can be as much as 20 degrees (F) if not more - make sure to bring a sweater, light jacket, sweatshirt, etc. for the evenings.

Israel
Level Contributor
31 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant recommendations and clothing

i would go to the Giraffe officer's club on Haarbaba street (http://www.giraffe.co.il/contact-us).

they have great food. also vegan.

Israel is not cold. i might get chili at night right now. but during the day if it is sunny ( did not check the forcast) then you will be just fine with a short sleeve shirt.

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant recommendations and clothing

You will need to cover your shoulders with some sort of wrap (or shirt sleeves) at almost all religious sites. If your skirt is at least knee-length, you'll be fine.

For restaurants:

If you are "foodies," you may enjoy Te'enim, a vegetarian gourmet restaurant in a lovely Jerusalem stone building outside the Old City

http://teenim.rest-e.co.il/

fodors.com/world/…review-459583.html

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant recommendations and clothing

In addition to it being cool in Jerusalem at night, if the weather is very hot, a lot of places will be air-conditioned, so you really need something to keep off the chill.