We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heat in July

west virginia
Level Contributor
30 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Heat in July

We will be coming from Haifa and want to spend two nights (Friday & Saturday) in a location convenient to tour Galilee, Safed, not sure where else. We read that staying near the sea will be very hot. (I can only travel in the summer). What areas have a higher elevation? I was looking toward Safen or Rosh Pina. After this we will be heading south toward Masada.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,403 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heat in July

Safed or Rosh Pina will be cooler than places on the Sea of Galilee (the Sea is 200 meters BELOW sea level and hence very warm). Rosh Pina is a small and quiet village with many B&Bs, restaurants and a mall. It is very convenient for touring in the Upper Galilee and Golan.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,926 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Heat in July

Safed is higher up than Rosh Pina and consequently cooler.

Note that unless you are Orthodox Jewish (Shabbat observant), staying in Safed/Tzfat over Shabbat - Friday and Saturday - won't be a good idea for you. Everything will be closed, including all restaurants.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heat in July

Don't stay in Safed over Shabbat. Better to stay in Rosh Pina or Vered HaGalil or further north at Kibbutz Kfar Blum. The Ramot Resort or Golan Rooms in Ramot are on the Golan and will be even cooler.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heat in July

On the other hand, during the day you will be touring outside, presumably, so it doesn't matter where you are for the night. All the accommodations will be airconditioned. I assume you are renting a car - that will have AC too. So will most restaurants, except for the outdoor seating - and that's where the smokers are.

Masada and the Dead Sea will probably be hotter. Plan to visit Masada when they open, before it gets brutally hot.

Have lots of water with you all the time. While sandals may be cooler, for many sites - nature and archeological, closed shoes are better because of the sand and pebbles. I keep a pair of sandals handy in the car to change into toward day's end. Fans are nice to have and good sunhats are essential.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
435 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heat in July

I'm assuming you'll be renting a car.

If so, I'd suggest sleeping in one of the numerous rural B&B's located around the Galilee. Once you narrow down the selection, come back and ask our opinion.

Some are simple and some very luxurious (hot tub, huge flat screen TV, 4 course breakfast, etc.).

Look at this map for options: http://www.zimmeril.com/mapView.asp

Here is another website with upmarket options: http://www.zimmeril.com/mapView.asp

For simpler accommodation in a beautiful setting try this: http://natureisrael.org/MountMeron

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heat in July

No matter where you stay in the north, it will be hot, hot, hot in July. There is air-conditioning everywhere so there is relief. When touring in the heat of the day, slow down and drink more than you think you need. There are beautiful water spots to visit where you can get relief from the heat such as Banias, Tel Dan, or Nahal Snir. Staying at one of the kibbutz hotels will also give you access to a swimming pool which can be refreshing during or at the end of a hot day. The kibbutz hotels include Hotel Pastural on Kfar Blum (widely considered the best of the bunch), Kibbutz HaGoshrim, Kibbutz Giladi.

west virginia
Level Contributor
30 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heat in July

Thanks for all your thoughts. I made a reservation at Shulamit Yard in Rosh Pina. I had already made this reservation when I got the message with the map for the zimmers. I am going to explore this for some other locations.

8. Re: Heat in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2014, 06:19