We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AIrlines

NJ
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
AIrlines

I have the opportunity to fly to Tel Aviv via either United or El Al airlines. Does anybody have any recommendations? The cost is about the same. I heard that El Al security tends to harass people, but United, is, well, United.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: AIrlines

Both are awful,is no different,choose the cheapest one

NJ
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: AIrlines

Really? Is there any airline that you can recommend? I can check out others.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: AIrlines

Fliying from the usa,I will taker an european one,and make a connection in europe,a bit more time,but youy get a much better flight

From new jersey,dont know,but from new york,you have several

High end british airways,air france,lufthansa,swiss all are great,but not very cheap in general

low end you have alitalia,iberia,cheap,not great,but they do the job.,much better than united or el-al

Maybe check on aeroflot of russia,also,get good reviews,for the prize,of course

If the prize is rigth,take one of the high end european airlines.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: AIrlines

are you fliying economy?

NJ
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: AIrlines

I would like to fly at least business class, but it will depend on the cost. I'm going to look at the other airlines you mentioned. I prefer better quality if possible. :) A connection in Europe might be fun!

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,889 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AIrlines

dkitty21 - I suggest you wait till most of the frequent posters on this forum come back as it is still Shabat (Saturday) and many do not use computers etc... on this day. There are several frquent users of this line and they'll have accurate information. The one that answered you has a biased approach to the airlines that fly non-stop. I don't know why.

My personal experience with British Airways, Iberia and Alitalia on shorter flights was not good. These are the flights you'll get after the flight from the US.

Edited: 04 May 2013, 18:19
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,904 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: AIrlines

dkitty, if you search arielcha's posting history you will see that he will never lose an opportunity to defame El Al. This says more about arielcha than about El Al.

>>I heard that El Al security tends to harass people<<

It's not harassment, it's strict security. El Al questions passengers for good reason. Would you rather they let everyone on the plane regardless, and risk having the plane blown out of the sky?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,422 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AIrlines

I will second Shoshi's comment regarding the poster who knocked both El Al and United. He has issues with them.

I would not recommend flying Iberia or Alitalia or any of the Russian airlines if you are looking for quality, comfort and a hassle free flight.

I have flown back and forth to US using many different options and know of hundreds of people who fly this route. Many have used El Al, United, Delta, and USAir and have been happy with their choice. The plus of flying non-stop is that this extremely long flight gets over with easily and relatively painlessly.

As to security - there is increased security for all flights to and from Israel, El Al does not harass anyone, they are known for being the safest airline and for that reason alone many people choose to fly with them.

Either El Al or United would be a good choice - you might prefer El Al as you can begin to feel as if you are in Israel right from the start.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,412 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AIrlines

I agree with the others. Obviously, arielcha has issues with EL AL and United (he previously posted similar posts). I flew EL AL many times and I find them very convinient.

As for security, since you have nothing to hide - just answer patiently and politely all the questions by the security personnel and it would be smooth.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,737 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: AIrlines

As mentioned El Al is the most secure. Their planes are comfortable and they have code share with several YS airlines so if you are not from the New York area rhe ticket is less than purchasing two tickets. They fly from JFK, EWR and YYZ with a total between 4-6 flights daily except Shabbat. United has the advantage of the US largest (?) airline flying from Newark and Delta from JFK has additional security, comfortable seats and a good crew.

I would not fly via Europe if you are coming from NYC unless you find a fantasic deal or want to have a long layover to visit a certain city such ad Amsterdam on KLM.

Chana

Israel