We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Israel Itinerary HELP PLEASE

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Israel Itinerary HELP PLEASE

Hi (sorry for the length of my post)

Me and my partner are travelling to Israel and Jordan, landing in Amman, Jordan on 7th July and leaving Amman on 23rd July back to England, we would like to spend about 7 days in Israel and have questions regarding our Itinerary so that we can see as much as possible in Israel before going back to spend about 9 days in Jordan.

In Israel we would like to see Nazareth, Galilee, Caesarea, Acre (Akko), Jerusalem, Masada, Jaffa, Tel Aviv, Bethlehem & Mount of Olives, plus anything else that we have missed off our list.

Our budget is not huge so would like to keep costs to a minimum, therefore is it best to hire a car to drive round to each of the above or is it better to get buses and coaches?, would we need to spend a night in each location or do buses run between each of the above?, where would be best to spend night(s) so that it is the best location for onward travel to other locations? from Amman which is the best place to start in Israel and where should we end for onward travel back to Jordan?,

And any idea of costs would be brilliant.

Thank you so much for your help and for taking the time to reply.

Ashley & Abby

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
8,819 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Israel Itinerary HELP PLEASE

Why not look for a flight package with outbound to Amman and return from Israel. The airfare will probably be only slightly higher but you will save the Israeli exit tax going to Jordan and a days traveling between countries.

I assume that you will be going to Petra. From there you can continue to Aqaba and cross over into Israel. From Eilat you can take a bus to the center of the country or fly if you find a good deal (look at the El Al, Arkia and Israir web sites)

Renting a car is a good idea if you are going to the Galilee because public transport to many sites is not efficient as they are not on the main roads. You do not need a car in Jerusalem or Tel-Aviv because of the parking and traffic problems.

Edited: 07 May 2013, 19:33
israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,673 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Israel Itinerary HELP PLEASE

I suggest you cross at the northern border crossing near Beit Shean and go back from this place. Crossing at the Allenby Bridge is more complicated. Crossing in the south Aquaba-Eilat is too far from the country's center and will take at least a day from your trip. Take a taxi from the border to Tiberias. Rent a car (book online before arriving, it will cheaper and you'll have a car waiting) and visit the sites on the shores of the Sea of Gallili. From drive to visit Nazereth and Akko. Continue along the coast and visit Casearia. Drive to Tel Aviv and return the car in the afternoon. Stay 1-2 night in Tel Aviv (Beachfront hotel?). Go to Jerualem by bus. Stay there for the rest of your trip. Check how can you cross back to Jordan. I don't know what goes with a visa to Jordan for re-entry.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,231 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Israel Itinerary HELP PLEASE

You have gotten some good advice already, and I won't repeat it. With so little time, I would spend at least three nights in Jerusalem

If it would be of help in planning your trip, I would be happy to send a copy of a free, noncommercial guide to Israel travel that I offer to anyone who asks. It is a 54-page .pdf file, and to get it, just write me at Labatt@fuse.net, and I will send it as a file attachment via return e-mail. While I think the information would help people planning any kind of trip, it is particularly written with independent travel in mind. And no strings -- not even in the travel business.

That offer goes to anyone reading this, by the way, but you must send me an e-mail, not a message on Trip Advisor, as I cannot send file attachments through that medium.

I hope that you and your partner have a wonderful visit!

Douglas Duckett

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Israel Itinerary HELP PLEASE

First, I highly recommend to fly to Jordan but to fly back from Israel.

In this case, you would not have any visas problem when trying to cross into Jordan from Israel.

It seems that you have 16 days. Consider allocating to Israel a bit more than 7 days in order to be less in a hassle.

The pubic transportation in Israel is highly developed. However, I will suggest you to rent a car for the Galilee part of your trip, as it is a country-side area where buses are less frequent.

General itinerary:

Day 1:

* Cross to Israel on the "Jordan River"/"Sheikh Hussein Bridge", located in northern Jordan.

Take a taxi to Beit She'an bus terminal and then a bus to Tiberias (budget wise). Rent a car from Tiberias.

* Visit the various Christian sites around the Sea of Galilee (Capernaum, Tabgha, Mt. of Beatitudes etc).

* Explore Tiberias and watch the Tiberium show at night on the promenade (19:00,20:00 and 21:00, 15 minutes each). Sleepover at a kibbutz guest house near Tiberias.

Day 2:

* Travel to Nazareth, visit Nazareth: http://www.nazarethinfo.org/

* Continue to Akko, visit the Old City of Akko: http://www.akko.org.il/en/

* Evening: visit the German Colony in Haifa (+dinner).

Sleepover at a hostel around Haifa.

(Haifa tourism: http://www.tour-haifa.co.il/ )

Day 3:

* Tour the Bahai gardens in Haifa: ganbahai.org.il/en/tours/#currenttimetable

* Drive south and visit Caesarea National Park.

* Drive south and dorp your car at Tel Aviv.

* Eveining: Tel Aviv promenade - walk all the way to the port (+dinner)

Sleepover at Tel Aviv.

Day 4:

* Tel Aviv morning: Walk the promenade southwards all the way to Old Jaffa. Visit Old Jaffa.

( visit-tel-aviv-yafo.com/categories/jaffa%E2%… and www.oldjaffa.co.il/… )

* Get over to Tel Aviv's Central Bus Station and take bus #405 to Jerusalem.

* Jerusalem - check in to your hotel. Go out and explore Jaffa street and Ben Yehuda street.

* Evening - get over to Mamilla mall, sit in a cafe in front of the old-city walls. Later, go to the night spectacle at the Tower of David museum (reservation in advance is required - online at towerofdavid.org.il/English/General/Tower_of… )

Day 5:

Good morning! you're in Jerusalem.

* Go to the "Machneh Yehuda" market and explore this great local market.

* Take the Sandeman's Jerusalem free tour.

* Continue on exploring the old city yourself.

Day 6:

Day-trip to the Dead Sea:

* rent a car

* go to Ein Gedi nature reserve

* go to Masada National Park

* take a dip at the Dead Sea (Ein Bokek beach)

evening: return to Jerusalem and return the car (possible return next-day morning if office closed, you pay for 24 hours anyway).

Day 7:

* Morning: A visit to Yad Vashem / Israel Museum

* Midday: Day-trip to Bethlehem.

Last Evening in Jerusalem.

Day 8:

* Final gifts and postcards in Jerusalem.

* transfer to Ben Gurion int'l airport ("Tel Aviv" in flight reservations) using the official shuttle - "Nesher" sherut.

Budget accommodation - use:

http://www.hostels-israel.com/

http://www.iyha.org.il/eng/

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,060 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Israel Itinerary HELP PLEASE

I suggest hiring your own car. From Amman start your tour in Jordan seeung the sites north of Jordan like Mabada and Jeresh. Cross over at the Sheikh Hussein crossing into Israel at Beit Shean You can thwn take a taxi to Tibetias(or into the city and then a bus) to Tiberias to rent a car. Plan your itinerary from north to south with Jerusalem in the middle and Eilat at the end where you will cross over into Jordan to continue your tour there -Petra, Wadi Rum etc. This would be

the most cost/time effcient sine your time in Israel is so short. In any case DO NOT plan crossing at King Hussein/Allenby crossing which is high in time/cost in many instances.

Chana

Israel

6. Re: Israel Itinerary HELP PLEASE

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2014, 05:17