We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety - June 2013

India
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Safety - June 2013

Hi everyone,

Nearing our trip to Israel, and very excited - we will be there from 2 to 10 June.

I have been reading of the unrest in Syria and the region. Would you say that there is a reason to be concerned of any spill-over into Israel? I realise that these things are unpredictable, but is there any unease in the atmosphere?

Also, is the security drill that happened today routine?

Thanks

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,343 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety - June 2013

Today's security drill has been in planning for quite a while - it is not an indication of any need for concern.

As to the mood - life is going on as normal - no "unease in the atmosphere". As you noted, none of us has a crystal ball but there is no indication that what is going on in Syria will "spill over" into Israel.

Come, you will have an amazing time.

India
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety - June 2013

Thanks Oreets - thats comforting to hear!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,364 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety - June 2013

While I am not in Israel at the moment, the thing I've learned as I go back and forth is that the reality of facts on the ground and the news we hear in the foreign press are totally disconnected.

Last winter i left Israel and went to Prague. For 3 days I heard not one word on CNN about Israel. Then, something negative happened in Israel and the TV was full of "news" We all know that Israel didn't vanish for those first 3 days. However, the old adage of "no news is good news" more than holds true. Israel is ignored unless the world press can find something to report that paints her in a negative light.

IN summation, come--and it will probably take you around 30 minutes to realize that your fears were unjustified.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,101 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety - June 2013

I don't know where you come from, but Israel is as safe as any other country, or safer. You will find out when you walk the streets at night and see how many are walking around.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety - June 2013

I just got back from Israel and saw no problems. Felt very safe.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,930 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety - June 2013

If people hesitated to go to Israel because of opinions expressed in the media, no one would ever set foot in the country. The fighting in Syria has been going on for a couple of years. You can still go to the border lookout in the Golan Heights and look into Syria at Har Bental. If it wasn't safe, the military certainly wouldn't let tourists stand right on the border and take pictures. What will you see? When I was there last I saw the small Syrian city of Kuneitra in the distance and a few cars driving on the roads, farms, a new reservoir, that kind of thing. The media won't be reporting that because it is just not that interesting to them.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety - June 2013

Me and my husband were in Israel last March, I would definitely advise you to go ahead with your trip. ISRAEL is a VERY SAFE country, we drive from one place to another even at night and we never feel threatened. We even got lost at one point and it was already dark, we ask for direction from people on the street and they are very helpful. As for the unrest in Syria I don't believe it will have any effect on Israel. Just go and enjoy, you will love Israel.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
822 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety - June 2013

I have just returned from Israel - went with my sister. I am retired but she is not and the first question she was asked by he cohorts - Is It Safe?? Her answer was yes, we walked all day and at night with no problems and would say we felt safer than our home country.

Edited: 28 May 2013, 19:16
Villanova...
Level Contributor
133 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety - June 2013

I just got back from Israel and I traveled all over the country with my husband. I always felt safe.

Qualicum Beach...
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety - June 2013

We have been home two weeks after being in Israel for five weeks. I felt as safe there as I do in Canada. Definitely go and enjoy!

btw.....I had asked the same question you did before I visited!

Sandy