We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VAt for tourists?!?

Constanta, Romania
Level Contributor
27 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
VAt for tourists?!?

haaretz.com/news/national/it-s-official-tour…

So, Israel will start to apply VAT for hotel rooms booked starting with June1. This is a terrible news. It will add 18% to any booked accommodation.

Now the question is: is this VAT refundable? As a non Israel citizen can I refund this paid VAT when I exit the country back to home?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,680 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VAt for tourists?!?

The article you linked to is way out of date - this has already been mentioned here. The proposal you are talking about was over turned. The situation remains as it was - no VAT on hotels, car rentals or tourism services for tourists.

Constanta, Romania
Level Contributor
27 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VAt for tourists?!?

I just received email from booking. com. My booking was made for September

I think the decision has been made...

''Thank you for using Booking.com as your travel partner.

Booking.com was recently informed by the authorities of Israel that their VAT / TAX will be increased from 17% to 18% on all reservations staying as of 01.06.2013.

It will become payable on all reservations in Israel staying from 01.06.2013.

All guests staying overnight in Israel must pay this tax.

Unused valid reservations are also subject to the tax.

It is the responsibility of the lodging industry to ensure that this tax is collected from all guests and passed to the authorities of Israel.''

Edited: 31 May 2013, 15:16
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,360 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VAt for tourists?!?

Booking.com is wrong. There is no nice way to say it. However, as they indicated the hotels, not them would be connected the tax I would not worry about it. As Oreet said, VAT on tourists was one of the many things discussed. it was not included in the bill. The tourism industry fought long and hard against it. The article you posted is dated May 7. The one linked below is dated May 20.

ynetnews.com/articles/…00.html

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,159 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: VAt for tourists?!?

VAT is indeed being increased from 17% to 18% on June 1.

But that is something else, not related to tourists. An Israeli staying in the same hotel previously had to pay VAT at 17%, and will now pay VAT at 18%. Tourists didn't pay VAT on their hotel bills previously, and don't pay VAT after June 1.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,680 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: VAt for tourists?!?

Booking.com is wrong - the VAT is going up to 18% tomorrow night - however, it will NOT be applied to hotel rooms for tourists.

Constanta, Romania
Level Contributor
27 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: VAt for tourists?!?

The email was received couple of hours ago. And it said all guests have to pay not only Israel citizens.

I hope booking com to be wrong and you guys to be right.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,360 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: VAt for tourists?!?

I just get such a warm feeling when I bring up a link, when colleagues all agree and the poster seems to feel that a booking site based in the Netherlands is more knowledgeable.

BTW in case you missed it--this post is dripping with sarcasm!

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,916 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: VAt for tourists?!?

Am I missing something on this thread? Where is the sarcastic link?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,360 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: VAt for tourists?!?

The link in my # 3 post is not sarcastic, it is a hard fact news story. The sarcasm is my saying I get a warm feeling when we are not believed when we are writing about something that is hard cold incontrovertible fact. ( sorry to disappoint)

Constanta, Romania
Level Contributor
27 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: VAt for tourists?!?

Really I do not get your sarcasm. This site has half of the market in online booking in Europe.

And you tell me is not a trustable source because they are reside in Netherlands?

After you presented the fact I think they are wrong and I hope they will clarify this issue. But is not easy when you are receiving an email that you have to pay 18% more

Sorry I have asked here about clarifications