We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cliff Churgin - great tourguide!

Washington DC...
3 posts
Save Topic
Cliff Churgin - great tourguide!

Cliff Churgin, from Walking the Land, took our group of mid-age businessmen around Jerusalem and did an outstanding job - impressing the first timers and more seasoned travelers alike! Very personable and incredibly knowledgable - highly recommended tourguide for all of Israel and especially Jerusalem! cliff@walkingtheland.com

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,256 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cliff Churgin - great tourguide!

What was the itinerary like?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,362 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cliff Churgin - great tourguide!

Steve, you are the second person in as many days to join TA and sing the praises of Cliff. As said on the first thread--your posts end up not be helpful or supportive of the guide. When a guide joins and then all of a sudden those he guided join and recommend him, the whole thing appears to be a concerted informercial. ( to use the phase Azzeny used on the other thread. )

Washington DC...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cliff Churgin - great tourguide!

We did the Old City - he picked us up at the hotel and took us through all 4 quarters of the Old City, starting at Jaffa Gate!

Washington DC...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cliff Churgin - great tourguide!

2 people recommended a tour guide and you're not happy. Maybe he was just good?

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,100 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cliff Churgin - great tourguide!

Too much advertizing lately. It takes the fun of trying to help tourists and diminshes the value of the advice given. Yikes.

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,600 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cliff Churgin - great tourguide!

Steve, the problem is that this is the only thing that you and the other person recommending Cliff has posted. Those of us who are tourists travelling to Israel may be interested in knowing a good guide, but it's against the guidelines of Trip Advisor for guides to 'self-promote'. Some people, if they know they can't do that will ask satisfied customers to come in here and promote them. It's simply a way they get around the prohibition to self-promote..

To be honest, the type of guide I would choose would be someone who is not pushy in the way of self-promotion, or pushy by means of asking others to promote him because he knows that he can't. So really, because you and the other poster have joined and solely posted a recommendation at the same time that Cliff joined, it appears to the average reader like me to be an advertising campaign promoted by Cliff. It isn't doing him any good to do that

I hope to be going to Israel again next year and may look for a guide for a few places, but if I choose someone from Trip Advisor it will be someone who has personally shown a willingness to help others who don't want guides but just information, who has shown themselves to be knowledgeable (having been twice I can recognise if good advice is given over sites I have already been to), and who legally is allowed to guide in the places I choose to visit.

At the moment, if Cliff is promoting himself by asking you to post a recommendation then he is breaking one of the rules here - which could lead someone like me to think that maybe he would break other rules regarding guiding outside Trip Advisor. (I speak from the experience of having had someone guide me in the past in a place he was not legally allowed to do so.)

I hope you understand that those who do 'keep guard' over the forum do so with travellers like you and me in mind. :)

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,100 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cliff Churgin - great tourguide!

Heather G - thank you for your post. It sums up what is important on TA.

8. Re: Cliff Churgin - great tourguide!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2014, 06:16