We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

repeat visitor seeks new suggestions

new jersey
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
repeat visitor seeks new suggestions

we have been fortuate enought to have visited israel a number of times, and have seen all of the "must see's. What are some reccomendations that arent on the major tours. we will be based in jerusleam and have a car. and arent afraid of driving distances aside from the uusal, and always amazing sites of jewsih heritiage, we have also done petra, gush etzion and the herodian ruins. We are fascinated by anyhing that has to do with the establishemnt of israel 1948 period, have been to the palmach museum) and i also would love to see some archeology sites and perhaps religious sites-- ie tombs, graves, that arent on normal tours. What are the "gems" that people love the second or third time they visit ? Thanks so much for your help

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,842 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: repeat visitor seeks new suggestions

Look at the suggestions on this thread:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293977-i1733-k6…

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,059 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: repeat visitor seeks new suggestions

Tombs- Beit Shearim is such a place. Nearby is Zippori if you did not visit yet. The open museum in Tefen, near Naharia. Kibbutz Yad Mordechai with a memorial of the '48 war and Mezudat Yesha. These are not listed in any order.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: repeat visitor seeks new suggestions

I don't even know where to start! But here are some ideas off the top of my head:

In the Shomron:

Mt. Gerizim - visit the Samaritans and the archaeological site there

Tel Shiloh - Where the Mishkan (Tabernacle rested for 369 years)

Beit El - Site of Jacob's dream and the promise of the Land of Israel to Abraham

In Judea:

Tomb of the Patriarchs if you haven't been.

Hike to the Haritun Cave in Tekoa (You will need a guide for that)

In the Negev:

Tel Arad - Site of an ancient Israelite Temple

Tel Beer Sheva - The ruin of ancient Beer Sheva where Abraham and the patriarchs lived

Galilee:

There are no end to Jewish tombs here Beit Shearim was mentioned. I love to take people to the tomb of Rabbi Hanina Bin Dosa in Arabeh.

Near Beit Shemesh:

Tel Tzorah - Where Samson lived

Ruin of Har Tuv - one of the early Jewish settlements before the State of Israel

There are sooo many more but I hope these will get you started off!

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,059 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: repeat visitor seeks new suggestions

If you take the some of the advice given by TourGuideAaron I hope you'll check where they are and if you are willing to take the risk.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: repeat visitor seeks new suggestions

Shoshi,

I am not sure why you say that. Are you aware of anything every happening to tourists in any of the places I have mentioned? I'm not. But maybe I'm missing something.

Unfortunately I do hear of tourists getting their cars broken into or pick pocketed in Tel Aviv every now an then so I would watch out if you visit there.

Edited: 10 June 2013, 19:42
Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,534 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: repeat visitor seeks new suggestions

I felt very safe each time we were in the West Bank, except for one short walk from the tomb of Abraham around.through deserted streets to where there is a Jewish settlement. It was a little spooky going past a street I recognised from a tv film and on past a mosaic commemorating the death of a little child and some other memorials. I'm glad we saw what we did though.

With that slight exception I felt completely safe in the West Bank and it was a very interesting and enlightening experience. We were stopped once to have our passports checked in Nablus, but there were no problems. In the Shomron we went to Mt Gerizim and on a second day to the Samaritan Passover there. We also went to Tel Balata (Nablus), Tel Shilo, Taybeh and we tried to find Sebaste but failed. We had an interesting lunch in Nablus where the local people seemed delighted to come and talk to us.

On another occasion we were with a tour which went to Emmaus - as our bus drove through everyone stopped what they were doing to clap us as we went past. We gathered that they were delighted to see tourists there. :).

Most of the other places TourGuideAaron mentioned aren't in the West Bank, of course. Of them Tel Arad was one of the most fascinating with the remains of the temple.

Now, dealing with a taxi driver outside our hotel in Jerusalem was another matter. He blocked our way, violently thumping on the taxi we were in, ordering us out because he thought we should go in his taxi instead. We did not comply! The driver of the car we were in was on his phone reporting the incident and requesting help when the guy finally realised we were not to going to be intimidated and let us pass. We paid for it the next day by being well and truly ripped off by one of the other taxi drivers. Jerusalem taxis proved more dangerous than our days in the West Bank. :).

Edited: 10 June 2013, 20:33
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,287 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: repeat visitor seeks new suggestions

Kasr al-Yahud, Einot Zuqim, Ein Prat, Tel Beit Shemesh, Khirbet Atri, Tel Azeka, The Biar Aqueduct, The Good Samaritan Inn mosaic museum.

Have you walked up the tunnel from the City of David to the Southern Wall Excavation (Davidson Center)? Visited the Herod exhibition at the Israel Museum or the Yvel visitors center? There is also the Castel, Sataf and Ein Hemed to name a view places near Jerusalem.

If you can arrange to visit Sebastia/Samaria I have no doubt you will totally impressed by this fantastic site.

Now all you need to do is see what is of interest that you have not been to before and start your planning.

Chana

Israel

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,932 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: repeat visitor seeks new suggestions

The Birya Forest area and its many ancient tombs.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,287 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: repeat visitor seeks new suggestions

Birya forest is near Zfat and a bit out of the realm of a day trip from Jerusalem.

Chana

Israel

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,932 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: repeat visitor seeks new suggestions

Yes, of course....but ebds4 mentioned that they are unafraid of driving distances.