We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cosmetics prices

Hong Kong, China
9 posts
Save Topic
cosmetics prices

Shalom, I will travel to Israel next week with one of the mission - buy cosmetics for my sister. She wants products from Premier DeadSea, Ahava and Seacret Spa. Not sure where I can buy them at a good price without VAT? Is the price offered by the duty free shop in airport reasonable? Please help. I will go to Tel Aviv, Tiberias and Jerusalem and shop around. Thanks.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,300 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cosmetics prices

There are some stores which are authorized to refund VAT. Meaning that they have a special form which needs to be filled out and presented at the airport with the cosmetics, after which you receive the refund. You must make a purchase of at least 400 shekels from the same vendor on the same receipt in order to be able to receive the refund. You can shop around, but most Israeli made cosmetics are identical in price at any store. I would choose the shop that offers the refund which ultimately turns out less expensive (18% less expensive).

Chana

Israel

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,908 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cosmetics prices

While the VAT may be 18%, you do not get 18% returned as there is a service charge for getting the VAT back. I think now you get about 12% back, if that. The system has changed lately and if you pay by credit card, it is refunded to your credit card....sometime......For the type of thing you want to buy, I would just choose a place that has good sales on- like buy 2 and get the 3rd free. The prices are similar everywhere except the airport, which in my opinion, is more expensive for cosmetics without the VAT than buying almost anywhere else in the country with VAT.

Has your sister been specific about what she is looking for. The variety of products available is mind boggling, everything from shampoo to foot cream. I would suggest you not buy the mud in the bag. While it sounds great, just wait until you try and get it out of your bathtub or shower stall. Your sister may never talk to you again :) Have fun with the shopping. Be sure to ask for samples everywhere you go. I once came home with a box of 200 samples of different products for a women's group. No charge. Almost every store that sells cosmetics will give you samples if you ask.

Boston
Level Contributor
67 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cosmetics prices

We bought some Ahava lotions in Tel Aviv. All the Ahava stores (Jerusalem, Tel Aviv etc) had the same prices/promotions. We paid by credit card and received cash in USD at the airport (You had a choice of currency) for the VAT refund. We also checked out the duty free prices in the airport and it was more that we paid so buy before you get the to the airport.

Edited: 13 June 2013, 20:37
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,093 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cosmetics prices

Looking 372 you are spot on in your comments. I shop all the time with credit cards and get dollar refunds from VAT and avoid the duty free store like the plague!

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,908 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cosmetics prices

I must have hit a bad day at the VAT back desk :)

I don't usually buy enough anymore to get the VAT back so it has been a while since I was there. Glad there is more updated info.

troy mi
Level Contributor
907 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cosmetics prices

whatever you buy, make sure it goes in luggage, not carry-on - a lesson I forgot :(

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cosmetics prices

We have always gotten cash at VAT (airport) refund regardless of how we paid.....hope that hasn't changed.

Also...the advice about making sure you put the articles in checked baggage is a great one...otherwise if you are over on the allowed ounces per liquid ....you'll get it confiscated.....ask me how I know. *smile*

Kathy

Paragon, Indiana, USA

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,093 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cosmetics prices

It is important to put liquids in checked baggage BUT it is equally important that you know where in your luggage you place these items and make sure they are accessible.

VAT refund is, for items going into checked luggage a two step process. Make sure you leave sufficient time at the airport to do this.

a. Bring your VAT refund form AND the luggage you are planning on Checking in ( this means BEFORE you go to your airline line) to the VAT refund desk in the middle of the departure area.

b. Have your passport and forms ready. The person behind the counter will ask to see what you bought. They may ask to see it all or they may ask to see part of it. Legally they can ask to see EVERY item. You will then be opening your luggage and removing the item(s) to show this person.

c. They will stamp the VAT form.

d. You leave the line and move to the side to repack your luggage as needed.

e. Go check in with your airline and get rid of your luggage

f. Go through the final screening ( metal detector, luggage scanner for carryons --LEAVE your shoes ON)

g. Go through immigration

h. walk/ ride moving walkway to the departure/duty free lounge. As you enter the lounge you turn right and right again and head towards the second VAT refund station. ( it is near the children's play area)

i. show your stamped VAT refund form OR your actual items if they are with you

j. Receive your refund in manner and currency of your choice!

NOTE: if you are NOT putting the item in your checked luggage you start with Step E above!

Enjoy!

Hong Kong, China
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: cosmetics prices

The checked-in advice for the cosmetics item is crucial, which reminds me how the security officer pitted my souvenir, dates boxes, with a tiny needle when I hand carried them to the plane. But I need to stress that they did it in a friendly and professional manner for everyone's safety.

Hi anmejoshme, please my sister's wish list below.

1. Premier DeadSea -- Para-Pharmaceutical Facial Exfoliating Gel (under NIS 240 ok, if more discount pls buy 2, if not, pls buy 1)

premierdeadsea-usa.com/skincare/shop-by-cate…

2. Premier Deadsea -- Skin Toner - Normal to Dry Skin (under NIS 150 ok, if more discount pls buy 2, if not, pls buy 1)

3. Premier Deadsea -- BIOX Thermal Beauty Experience Mask (under NIS640 ok, if more discount pls buy 2, if not pls buy 1)

4. Premier deadsea -- Day Cream Complex - Normal to Dry Skin (under NIS400 ok, if more discount pls buy 2, if not pls buy 1)

5. Ahava --- EXTREME RADIANCE LIFTING MASK (under NIS240 ok, 1 piece)

ahava.com/face/time-to-revitalize/extreme-ra…

6. Seacret Spa -- Mineral-Rich Clarifying Mud Mask (under NIS450 ok, if more discount pls buy 2, if not, 1)

http://www.seacretspa.com/dead-sea-mud-mask

10. Re: cosmetics prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2014, 06:17