We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to base and stay in the north of Israel from Tel Aviv

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
where to base and stay in the north of Israel from Tel Aviv

We would like to stay in the north of Israel for 5 days after staying in Tel Aviv for 3 days. My husband and I are leaving Tel Aviv on the Sept 7th and hiring a car. Would it be better to base ourselves in one spot, then drive around or split our time, say two days one area and three days another? say the Sea of Galilee. We will then leave on the 12th for Jerusalem which we have already booked and aware of the holidays, we are staying there for six days. We will be celebrating 29 years of marriage on the 8th, and any recommendations would be most appreciated. We enjoy walks, swimming, historical sites, cafes, and generally exploring beautiful areas. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
Sea of Galilee
Sea of Galilee
1,935 Reviews
Tiberias, Israel
Galilee
Galilee
Northern District, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,767 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to base and stay in the north of Israel from Tel Aviv

You could split your time between the Western Galilee staying at a Bed And Breakfadt (Zimmer) for one or two nights and then move to the Hula Valley for the remainder of the time. This will give you easy access to to the Upper/lower Galilee as well as the Golan Heights

For W. Galilee Zimmers see wwe.zimmers.co.il. For Hula Valley try Hagoshrim or Kfar Blum. There is also a lively kibbutz hotel at Merom Golan on the Golan Heights, as well as others.

Chana

Israel

Mentioned in this post
Galilee
Galilee
Golan Heights
Golan Heights
Middle East
Kfar Blum
Kfar Blum
Golan Hotel
Golan Hotel
186 Reviews
Tiberias, Israel
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to base and stay in the north of Israel from Tel Aviv

Dear Chana,

Many thanks for your help. We will look into these accommodations and will we have to book before we leave Australia? I'm guessing so.

Kind regards

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
18,561 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to base and stay in the north of Israel from Tel Aviv

It is best to book all your accommodations before you arrive. Israel is not the place to "wing it" for lodgings - places book up early and you are apt to find yourself stuck - having to travel farther or pay much more than you planned.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to base and stay in the north of Israel from Tel Aviv

Dear Oreets,

Thank you for your reply, yes I want to book now. Have been looking on the Zimmers site that Chana suggested earlier and was not sure which area was the best. I was advised to stay at a resort close to the lake for both areas by someone as well. Do you have any suggestions for the five days. I have also looked at Kfar Blum - Hula Valley and it looks lovely. Many thanks

Mentioned in this post
Kfar Blum
Kfar Blum
San Diego...
Level Contributor
90 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to base and stay in the north of Israel from Tel Aviv

We really enjoyed staying at Ein Gev Holiday Resort in a Superior Double facing the lake. They have a swimming area at their beach. I was originally concerned that it would be crazy there because tour groups book this place but it was GREAT. Only stayed 2 nights, wished it could have been longer. We stayed in a quiet area, ask for room 428, 429 or 430. There are places in the new shopping center to eat, not far away so you don't have to eat at the resort. Grocery store there too for picking up picnic items. Spent 2 other nights at Nof 10 Amirim, could have been 3 there too! Two very different experiences, I posted reviews and photos of both.

Mentioned in this post
Nof Ginosar Hotel
Nof Ginosar Hotel
500 Reviews
Ginosar, Israel
Amirim
Amirim
Galilee, Israel
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,767 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to base and stay in the north of Israel from Tel Aviv

Resorts such as Ein Gev are lovely especially those the shores of the lake. I suggested earlier staying in the W. Galilee which may have confused you a bit. You wouldn't want to stay in two resorts on the lake but rather one there and perhaps the other on the northern Mediterranean coast.

Chana

Israel

Mentioned in this post
Galilee
Galilee
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to base and stay in the north of Israel from Tel Aviv

Thank you so much for your help, very much appreciated. I will look into those places you have suggested.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to base and stay in the north of Israel from Tel Aviv

Thank you once again for your advice, it narrows it down for us as we have been looking and there are so many places to choose. It looks wonderful.

Arizona
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to base and stay in the north of Israel from Tel Aviv

I am of a contrary view - unless you like to pack and unpack and repack, pick one spot, and make day trips. You can stay on the western Golan and make it to Haifa in under 2 hours (depends on time of day of course). I have stayed all over the north, and have done the 2-days in Haifa, 3 days on the Kinneret arrangement, and it never lets you feel settled.

I would say to try to stay in the eastern Galilee - Amirim, Tzfat/Zafed, Rosh Pina -- and go from there. I will be doing just that, staying at a new place to me - Kibbutz Moran - with my teenaged grandson for 6 nights. From there we can easily drive anywhere and do anything from the Jezre'el Valley to Mt. Hermon to Rosh Hanikra to Gamla. Then we'll come back to our base camp to crash - and not worry about having to reorganize every few days.

Mentioned in this post
Golan Hotel
Golan Hotel
186 Reviews
Tiberias, Israel
Haifa
Haifa
Haifa District, Israel
Kinneret
Kinneret
Galilee
Galilee
Amirim
Amirim
Galilee, Israel
Rosh Pina
Rosh Pina
Rosh Hanikra
Rosh Hanikra
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where to base and stay in the north of Israel from Tel Aviv

thank you for your lovely and helpful reply, I have been thinking along those lines and especially staying in Rosh Pina or Amirin, we will have a car as well. Our anniversary falls at that time as well as our friends we are travelling with so a nice B and B we are thinking with access to a small town and restaurants. Then we head off to Jerusalem. Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Rosh Pina
Rosh Pina
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel