We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Postponed Israel Trip

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
22 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Long Postponed Israel Trip

hi! we are visiting from the Philippines and we plan to do a side trip from europe to Israel. we visit europe regularly for business meetings and for March 2014, we will be in barcelona for the Mobile Congress Conference. I plan for us to take the time to go to Israel as we have always wanted. there are several things that is stopping us during our previous trips such as:

1.) direct flights to tel aviv and airlines --- i find that only El Al has direct flights to Tel Aviv from Barcelona. Iberia and Vueling seems to be in code share with El Al.

El Al flies a smaller, one-aisle plane for the flight. can you suggest an airlines that flies with a larger aircraft to tel aviv as i am very sensitive to turbulence

Info: we are a couple in our early 30s who loves to travel but have limited time given that we run a business

2.) we plan to do israel in 7 days. what are our options in terms of guided tours?

i like guided tours but do not want to join a pre-packaged tour like Gate1. i want to take some days and explore on our own, or use different operators to minimize risk if they do not do a good job.

it seems that private guides are very expensive. I inquired about one and she charges 580USD per day. another one charges 380 per 8 hours plus 250 for the car. are these the normal rates for such guides?

we want to visit catholic/christian sites although not in deep detail about religion

i am quite at a loss due to the limited amount of info and travel operators for israel

thanks in advance

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
197 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long Postponed Israel Trip

I think ELAL might fly 767's for some flights , you best check .

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long Postponed Israel Trip

Private guides without a car in Jerusalem (don't need a car there) cost from $300 for a full day. Half day rates should be less. Shop around. With a car, you can expect to pay around $600 for a day. You would benefit from a guided day in Jerusalem's Old City or take a Sandemann's free tour for orientation. You can drive yourself north and also arrange a guide for a day or two. Judicious use of a guide will add to your experience especially if you are only here for a short visit. If you take a private guide book directly with them. An operator will take a cut.

Edited: 19 June 2013, 16:39
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,569 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long Postponed Israel Trip

I want to emphasize that if you do decide to use a private guide you should book directly. This way YOU talk with the guide and together decide what you are doing. Also, when hiring through an agent you really should then tip the guide. If you hire directly, it is really not necessary ( but none will refuse extra cash) There is a top question about private guides with 3 links. In those links are the names of many many guides. In the last link I have included an explanation of the process you should use to find the very best guide for you.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,586 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long Postponed Israel Trip

Iberia flies directly to Tel Aviv.

The prices quoted are accurate. Lower prices do no assure a professional guide so always ask for licensing information.

Chana

Israel

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,935 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long Postponed Israel Trip

You don't need to have private guides, there are lots of group tours, both walking and bus tours.

For walking tours of Jerusalem check out

www.newjerusalemtours.com/daily-tours.html

6. Re: Long Postponed Israel Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2014, 05:18