We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

on our own to haifa vs day trip tour

phila
Level Contributor
272 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
on our own to haifa vs day trip tour

After visiting Tel Aviv for a few days we are deciding between renting a car & driving ourselves to Haifa, staying overnight, then returning the car in Jerusalem or doing a day trip to/from Tel Aviv.

We are Jewish and, from looking on line, I think are interested in Caesarea, Acre, Haifa. I like the idea of having a guide (for information) and my husband wouldn't mind not driving but am worried an organized day trip may be too rushed. The cost for these 2 options is close so not a factor. Of course a private guide would be great but at $325/person a bit over the budget.

Love everyone's opinion. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
Haifa
Haifa
Haifa District, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel
Caesarea
Caesarea
Haifa District, Israel
Acre
Acre
Northern District, Israel
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,631 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: on our own to haifa vs day trip tour

A private guide does NOT charge per person. THey charge the same whether they are guiding one person or an entire busload. What you could do if you really want the guide is YOU drive YOUR rental car and the guide comes along as both navigator and information provider. THe guide can not drive your car and if they used their own vehicle the price would be significantly more.

If you want to visit those 3 places it pays to stay overnight in Haifa--or near Haifa. It is a lot to do in a one day trip from Tel Aviv!

Mentioned in this post
Haifa
Haifa
Haifa District, Israel
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,947 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: on our own to haifa vs day trip tour

If you rent a car and drive and then hire a private guide, they will be your navigator and the price will be far lower that $325 a person. That would be a great option if it fits your budget. You could do this just in a day trip though since you would have to pay for your guides meals and overnight which would add substantially to the cost (unless your guide lived in Haifa, in which case they would go home for the night).

Oy, this was supposed to be a simple answer but I see it getting more complicated by the minute.

Posted at the same time as rdlady

Edited: 20 June 2013, 22:03
Mentioned in this post
Haifa
Haifa
Haifa District, Israel
phila
Level Contributor
272 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: on our own to haifa vs day trip tour

For a guide to go with us Im being told is $400 plus the car rental. Less than $650 but still a lot. Thanks for the imput

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,631 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: on our own to haifa vs day trip tour

I know of no guide who gets $400 a day! That is a lot of money. Guides get between $250-$350 a day as far as I've been told. ( by the guides I do know)--and yes, you then have car rental and gas! ( but you would have that if you went on your own. BTW how many are you?

phila
Level Contributor
272 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: on our own to haifa vs day trip tour

Just 2 of us, my husband and I. We are Jewish and good travelers. If a guide is interested in doing this please feel free to have them contact me. (Not sure if its ok for you to give me their name). Thanks!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,631 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: on our own to haifa vs day trip tour

There is no one here who can have a guide contact you. We are all volunteers. Also, if a guide contacts you without your first contacting them, they are breaking the rules of Trip Advisor. I would stay away from any individual who is willing to do this. This is what I suggest.

On the upper right hand side of this page is a section called Top Questions. Seven or eight questions down is a question that says, "private guides" If you click on it you get three links. Read the links through. It contains ideas and names of guides for YOU to contact. I am sure that any free guide would be willing to work with you. ( hey--they may love Israel, love guiding etc. etc. BUT it is their job and they also love putting food on their family's table)

The third link also has a post that explains HOW to find and hire a guide. It isn't hard. Happy Reading!!!

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,947 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: on our own to haifa vs day trip tour

I would suggest that the price you are looking at is somewhere between $250-$350 for the day (for the both of you). There may be an additional charge if you go over the allotted time that you agree on ahead of time. You need to have a contract that spells this out. Also, you will probably cover the guides meals, that is pretty standard. Professional guides will have a contract and will make everything really clear about what you can expect. Do not be afraid to ask questions. Having a guide for the day can be a wonderful experience but only if you are comfortable with the situation. There are lots of terrific guides around so don't be wary of seeking them out. I have had some amazing guides in Israel and there are some which are regulars on this forum (and not so regular) who get terrific reviews as well.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: on our own to haifa vs day trip tour

If the price of a private guide is a problem, you can also do this independently. Personally in any case, and particularly if you don't have a guide to navigate, I'd use the train rather than a rental car as the service is good and less prone to traffic jams and parking issues (especially an issue in Haifa). Use taxis to get from the station to the sites in Akko (Akko station) and Caesaria (Binyamina station), and the cute Carmelit underground funicular to get to the Bahai Gardens in Haifa.

In terms of guiding, there is an excellent audio guide that takes you around the Crusader ruins at Akko - you pick it up at the information centre in Old Akko. You can also join guided tours of the Bahai gardens in Haifa. I don't know about Caesaria, but minimally all national parks offer good information leaflets.

Mentioned in this post
Haifa
Haifa
Haifa District, Israel
israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,408 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: on our own to haifa vs day trip tour

Touring Casearia, Akko and Haifa is easily done on your own as Avigail explained. You can choose between a rented car or the train. If you are going without luggage the train is a good option.

Mentioned in this post
Haifa
Haifa
Haifa District, Israel
phila
Level Contributor
272 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: on our own to haifa vs day trip tour

Thanks! As always lots of good info. We will have luggage so guide or car is prob our best option. Will email some guides to see about prices. Thanks for the info on audio guide.