We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waze app

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Topic
Waze app

I just reviewed the FAQ's for Waze as I was hoping to use it driving ( current plan: TLV-Caesarea-AKko-AMirin-Jerusalem) but I feel bit dazed and confused by the this seemingly big, massive app. Do I really need all that detailed road info? Is there a simpler Israel gps app , even at the risk of encountering some unexpected traffic , construction, etc? Or... is Waze more user-friendly once on the road? Can I view the Israel map on waze from US?

Thank you so much .

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Waze app

okay... I just played with Waze and, like often with all things technology , its not too bad once you try it and get to know. So I answered many of my own questions on my OP. (Before I was reviewing the map editing info which I don't need really)

But any road trip advice (or all travel advice from any of you) is always welcomed and appreciated.

Anyway, many thanks.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,902 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waze app

Waze, as good as it is does not always take you in the most direct way, even if there is no traffic. In other words it is not flawless. The Google GPS is better and will even call out the directions (Waze does not do this). I highly recommend investing in a map atlas of Israel to keep with the front seat passenger who can map out the way. The GPS knows where there is road construction and one way streets, which may not be apparent on the maps. Your trip to the north is pretty straight forward as all of the sights are off the coastal road and then east to Amirim, without the need for many side roads. In Akko and Caesarea there are great signs once you are in town and driving toward the old cities.

Chana

Israel

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
3,847 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waze app

adr

I am using WAZE daily travelling back and forth from north of Haifa to Tel-Aviv area. I can say that it saving time at least once a week! I would certainty use it. WAZE has also the voice instructions option.

Tip if you pass Haifa towards Akko use the new Road #22 and do not use Carmel Tunnels (Road #23).

Edited: 31 July 2013, 06:27
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,639 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waze app

WAZE is very user friendly and does a great job of getting you where you are going - and yes, you can set it up to have voice commands too so that it will "talk you through" your route.

Just remember that for it to work you need wifi, internet, a data plan, etc.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Waze app

Yes, even with good gps, I'm hoping to pick up maps, from Avis or hotels (or where?), when I get to Israel. I can't seem find them in DC and its too late to order online. Would BG airport be good place to get them? However we arrive 420pm saturday...nothing will be open in airport , yes?

We will have a MIFI and Ipads with us, i hope it works well on the road.

Giora, thanks for letting me know about the new road #22. A few questions: is #22 the road number or exit number? Is this road on maps/gps already and ready for travel or still under some construction? Is it near a particular junction name? What will its sign say?

Some driving questions: can you make a right on red lights (as here in US)? And how are the laws about driving and hands-free mobile phone use?

Day after tomorrow we depart!!

Thanks so much, you are all great!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,122 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Waze app

Everything including the Steimatzky bookstore will be open in the airport on Saturday.

22 is the road number. Exits are not numbered; interchanges and junctions have names.

Sorry, I don't drive and can't answer your other questions, but no doubt someone better qualified will come along soon!

Edited: 31 July 2013, 14:58
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,639 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waze app

No right turn on red in Israel.

Yes, there are laws about hands-free, etc. Don't even touch your phone while driving - no talking, texting, checking messages, etc - the fine is very high and the police have the right to take your license away on the spot. You are legally allowed to use the phone hands free - for example if you have a built in connection or a blue tooth earpiece.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
3,847 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Waze app

Hi again

Road #22 is completed starting from downtown Haifa until few miles from Akko. You will see signs everwhere with roads numbers.

Maps can be peaked up at the airport, I would not invest in expensive ones

On top of what Oreet mentioned, I suggest you come with an inexpensive mobile phone holder that can be attached to the front window. That is what I am using

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,922 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Waze app

Check out these two links for driving tips

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g293977-i1733-k5720…

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g293977-c181911/Israel…

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Waze app

When I use google maps Caesarea Nat.park to Akkotel I get this link:

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en . Hopefully when you open this link, you get the same map and directions as I do here in US. I have (too many?) questions:

I see rt#22 but it does not route it that way...it says to take rt2 , then take "גשר שמואל ארד‎ ", which i don't understand. Will signage be in english even if is not on Google maps?

Should I continue to rt4, around Haifa then rt 22, as adviced on post #8? Also I do not see rt# 23 or the Carmel tunnel on this google map...Do you see it? Hoping Waze maps are better...please help mapping this trip, getting a wee bit anxious about the drive...but its part of the adventure ;-)

Big thanks from this soon to be tourist driver.