We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel between Tiberias and Jerusalem

Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Travel between Tiberias and Jerusalem

Going to Israel next June, staying in the Tiberias area and would like to travel to Jerusalem for a day by car. I seen in past posts on this subject that route 6 is very scenic and a good way to go. Another reply mentioned taking route 90, which looks to me like it goes through the Palestine Territory. Forgive my American ignorance, this is our first trip to Israel, but is it safe to travel through there for an American? And about how long is the drive?

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Tiberias
Tiberias
Galilee, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,168 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel between Tiberias and Jerusalem

Route 6 isn't scenic, unless you consider a fast toll road scenic.

Road 90 goes through the West Bank, but this part of the West Bank is under full Israeli control and there is no problem whatsoever for Americans or anyone else to drive there. You cannot take an Israeli rental car (regardless of your own nationality) into the parts of the West Bank that are under *Palestinian Authority control*, which is mostly cities: Bethlehem, Ramallah, Jericho, Nablus and maybe some I've forgotten to mention. But driving on road 90 won't take you anywhere near those places.

Mentioned in this post
Bethlehem
Bethlehem
West Bank, Palestinian Territories
Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel between Tiberias and Jerusalem

Thanks for the info, it's route 90 to route 1 to Jerusalem. Do you have to go through check points when traveling this way? Is this a scenic drive and are these roads toll roads?

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
18,536 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel between Tiberias and Jerusalem

Taking Route 90 and 1 has some beautiful views along the way - best to travel in daylight as there are also a fair number of twists and curves in the road. Yes, you will go through at least 2 checkpoints (as the situation is today - it's a long way to next June) - you will probably be waved right through them.

No, it is not a toll road.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,168 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel between Tiberias and Jerusalem

Just to clarify, the only toll road in Israel is Route 6. If you do decide to use Route 6, there are electronic readers on the road that record your car license plate. Because it will be a rental car, the rental company will pass the charge on to you.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,720 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel between Tiberias and Jerusalem

Going on the toll road is out of the way from Tiberias to Jerusalem. If traveling by day use 90 & 1. It is shorter and less expensive (no tolls and less miles - thus less gas.

Chana

Israel

Mentioned in this post
Tiberias
Tiberias
Galilee, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel between Tiberias and Jerusalem

I will add to Shuffaluff post - there are 2 more toll roads in Israel: The carmel tunnels road and the "fast lane" to Tel Aviv.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,268 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel between Tiberias and Jerusalem

While no one else has asked. Why are you making Tiberias your base while in Israel. It is not a practical location. I also find it hard to believe you are planning on spending only 1 day in Jerusalem.

Mentioned in this post
Tiberias
Tiberias
Galilee, Israel
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,168 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel between Tiberias and Jerusalem

I stand corrected on the toll roads. But then what do I know?

Yes, I should have thought of the "fast lane" to Tel Aviv since the buses go in that lane... ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel between Tiberias and Jerusalem

We are spending a 1 week in the Galilee area and 1 week in Tel Aviv. We want to see as much of Israel as we can on our stay. It seems there is much to see and do around Galilee, Mt Tabor (Transfiguration), Tabgha(Mt of Beatitudes), plan on visiting Nazareth, Jordan river where John baptized Jesus, a drive over to visit Caesarea and Haifa, and we plan to take a day and ATV or horseback ride in the Golan Heights and a day at the beach at the Sea of Galilee. Then when in Tel Aviv we would like to enjoy that city as much as we can, but we do plan on spending the night at the Dead Sea and possibly taking a flight down to Eilat, not sure about that yet. And if we feel that we hadn't spent enough time in Jerusalem, we have left enough open time in Tel Aviv to take another trip back there. In our journey from Galilee to Jerusalem we are spending the night, so we really have almost 2 days there. Still putting the trip together rdglady so any suggestions you or anyone else has would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Galilee
Galilee
Northern District, Israel
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Mount Tabor
Mount Tabor
194 Reviews
Kfar Tavor, Israel
Tabgha
Tabgha
99 Reviews
Tiberias, Israel
Mount of Beatitudes
Mount of Beatitudes
316 Reviews
Capernaum, Israel
Nazareth
Nazareth
Galilee, Israel
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Caesarea
Caesarea
Haifa District, Israel
Haifa
Haifa
Haifa District, Israel
Golan Heights
Golan Heights
Middle East
Sea of Galilee
Sea of Galilee
1,927 Reviews
Tiberias, Israel
Dead Sea
Dead Sea
1,919 Reviews
Dead Sea Region, Israel
Eilat
Eilat
Southern District, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,072 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel between Tiberias and Jerusalem

I assure you that you've not booked enough time in Jerusalem. It's obviously your trip, but I usually recommend that folks allocate about half of their visit time to that city -- it has that much to see and do.

Enjoy your visit!

Douglas Duckett

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem