We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walkie Talkies

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
120 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Walkie Talkies

Hi Everyone, I was considering bringing walkie talkies to Jerusalem to help with communicating with my husband. Does anywhen know if there will be any problems with them working? Thank you! Debra

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walkie Talkies

Why not cellphones? Then you can communicate with anyone you want, not just your husband.

Edited: 11 August 2013, 02:53
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,579 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walkie Talkies

Walkie talkies have limited range cell phones ate unlimited. You can get 2 Israel SIM cards at very little cost.

Chana

Israel

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,524 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walkie Talkies

If you are talking about toy walkie talkies - then their range is extremely limited.

If you are referring to anything more professional you will need to check what frequencies they use and if these frequencies are available for civilian use in Israel.

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,645 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walkie Talkies

I buy SIM cards for our phones. My husband's sense of direction isn't good - if we get separated then the ability to phone him to track him down is a 'must'. If you have smart phones then your SIM cards can give you Internet access for the duration of your stay and that can save heaps if the hotels you stay at dont give free internet access. For me it more than paid for the cost of the SIM cards. You can even use some of the apps to get each others location if you need to.

Edited: 11 August 2013, 12:33
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
120 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walkie Talkies

Thank you all for your responses ; I have used the walkie talkies in other cities in Europe without a problem. But it they may not work, then I don't want to take them.

I have a cell phone with a Telestial international SIM card that works in almost every country. Calls within Isreal are $0.45 per minute/ I also have an iPhone. I plan to get an international data plan for the iPhone, but I'm not planning to switch out the SIM card. (The phone is locked.) Perhaps I should buy another unlocked phone and get a SIM card for Israel. Can anyone suggest where to buy this? Thank you!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,562 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walkie Talkies

.45 a minute is very very expensive!

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,645 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walkie Talkies

Does it cost you to unlock an iPhone? When I first got mine it was quite expensive if you had to unlock them, but now I don't think they charge at all here in Australia (or if they do it is a very small charge.)

The problem with using an iPhone without a local SIM card is that you can be charged a phenomenal amount in data roaming.

You can hire phones or purchase SIM cards for an unlocked phone on arrival in Israel (if you are coming in with a tour group there might not be time for you to do this.). Someone else will no doubt be able to give you the options on this.

We have always purchased orange SIM cards and that has worked very well for us.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
435 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walkie Talkies

As far as I remember, frequencies for civilian use 2-way radios in Israel are the same as Europe and different from those used in the US.

Theoretically, this may cause an issue when entering the country (small chance they may be confiscated at customs) or when using them (frequencies may be busy).

Additionally, the old city in Jerusalem is made up of very narrow alleys with thick walled stone buildings. This would greatly limit the range of any 2-way radio.

So it’s a great idea in theory but not for this specific use.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,935 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walkie Talkies

Having used walkie talkies when on family vacations (Disney World for example), I understand the appeal. However, R_Balboa brings up the point that immediately sprang to my mind when I read you intended to use them in Jerusalem. Those stone walls are high and thick and can create all kinds of interference. I wouldn't trust one bit that walkie talkies would work reliably in the old city.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,579 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walkie Talkies

There are several companies that will ship a rented phone to your home which you can either return at the airport or send back to the company when you get home.

Perhaps others will suggest the companies they have used.

Chana

Israel