We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 day Haifa Cruise visit ??? ON OUR OWN... HOW ???

san diego
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
2 day Haifa Cruise visit ??? ON OUR OWN... HOW ???

Hi, We are re-routed from Egypt and now get to enjoy !!! 2 DAYS IN ISRAEL !!!

Porting Haifa 8am Friday 10/2013

Depart Noon Saturday

We just gotta see lots... on a budget

So... ??? Who, How, When, Where... and Why ???

!!! Thanks in Advance !!!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
38,359 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 day Haifa Cruise visit ??? ON OUR OWN... HOW ???

One of the problems that seems to be occurring with these rerouted ships is that many seem to be arriving on Friday and or Saturday. Friday late afternoon until after dark on Saturday is the Jewish Sabbath. There are no buses or trains running on those days. That means you need to travel by taxi. While there are ships tours they are usually expensive, large groups and slow. I would suggest that you head to Jerusalem and spend the night there. You may also want to consider getting together a group of 6 or 8 and hiring a private guide. ( use roll call on cruise critic) The guide will help you plan your 1.5 ( barely) days. In terms of what to see--what do you think you want to see?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,933 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 day Haifa Cruise visit ??? ON OUR OWN... HOW ???

If you do decide to spend the night in Jerusalem, what that will give you is opportunity to maximize your time on Friday. In reality you will not have much, if any, touring time on Saturday as you need to leave Jerusalem 8:30 ish to make sure you get back to the port in plenty of time to make a noon sailing.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 day Haifa Cruise visit ??? ON OUR OWN... HOW ???

You will have public transportation till ~3-4 PM so you can use it.

I would recommend to go see the Bahai Gardens first since they close early - http://www.ganbahai.org.il/en/.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g293982-d3…

You can get an English tour in the gardens.

Straight from there I would go down from the park (by foot) to the German Colony. Its a nice place to walk in. tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g293982-d3…

You can go from there to the flee market which is a nice experience tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g293982-d2…

The flee market is open from 8AM-3PM on Friday, and 8AM-4PM on Saturday.

You can grab something to eat there if you wish, although you probably will go back on the ship for lunch :).

Note that after ~3-4 PM you will only have taxis to use.

IN the evening you have plenty of coffee shops, bars, restaurants and nightclubs to choose from.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g293982-d4…

https://foursquare.com/explore…

Saturday - I would go to the beach tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g293982-d3…

If you have an organized excursion on Sat to go out of the city to Mount Carmel or out of Haifa for a hike and site seeing -I would take it on Saturday.

I would also suggest you go eat some good hummus. There's a good place at Paris Square.

Enjoy :)

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,215 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 day Haifa Cruise visit ??? ON OUR OWN... HOW ???

There is little point staying overnight in Jerusalem because you have to leave very early in the morning to get back to your ship.

It is also difficult to go to Jerusalem on your own on a Friday-Saturday because of the limited public transport available.

The best option is to take the ship's tour of Jerusalem on Friday and then visit the Bahai Gardens in Haifa on your own on Saturday morning. Look at this thread:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293982-i4592-k6759446-Suggestions_of_what_to_do_on_a_Saturday_morning_in_Haifa-Haifa_Haifa_District.html).

Edited: 19 August 2013, 06:15
Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,215 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 day Haifa Cruise visit ??? ON OUR OWN... HOW ???

Sorry, the link is:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293982-i4592-k6…

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
38,359 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 day Haifa Cruise visit ??? ON OUR OWN... HOW ???

There are two opinions, 1 go to Jerusalem and 2 stay in Haifa. I think a lot depends upon what you want to see. I do think Jerusalem is the best AND stay the night. Even though you will just be sleeping, getting up and eating breakfast and leaving staying the night enables you to be up late on Friday night. BUt again, what do YOU want to see and do? Give us an idea and we can help you facilitate it. (realizing that as we write you are sound asleep)

7. Re: 2 day Haifa Cruise visit ??? ON OUR OWN... HOW ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 November 2013, 07:35
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,229 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 day Haifa Cruise visit ??? ON OUR OWN... HOW ???

Nadav, advertising is not permitted on TripAdvisor. Your post has been reported and will be removed.

9. Re: 2 day Haifa Cruise visit ??? ON OUR OWN... HOW ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2014, 06:20