We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone can offer backpacking tips?

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone can offer backpacking tips?

Hi, I'm planning to go backpacking to Israel and Jordan some time next year, maybe around March, April, or May. Is that a good time of the year to go there? My trip will be about 10-14 days long in total. I haven't really started doing my research much. I'm just wondering if anyone could give me some tips on must-visit places, itineraries, or transportation in Israel and Jordan. Or some useful links. Anything will help :) Thank you!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,442 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone can offer backpacking tips?

April or May is an ideal time to visit Israel as long as you avoid the period 14-21 April 2014 during which the major Passover holiday will fall in 2014.

In Jerusalem, I strongly recommend you book the Abraham Hostel (http://www.abraham-hostel-jerusalem.com/). The hostel also offers unguided tours to sites outside Jerusalem and this is wonderful place to meet other young people from around the world exploring our fascinating country.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,756 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone can offer backpacking tips?

Adding to the above. Israel has a wonderful hostel system. However, you need to realize that you can't always just walk in--you frequently need reservations in advance and that the hostels in Israel are often more than hostels elsewhere. ( and the accommodations are a lot nicer) For information on Jordan, you need to post on the Jordanian forum.

Also, don't forget that those flying on an Indonesian passport will NOT automatically be issued a VISA at the border---you need to get one in advance.

Edited: 30 August 2013, 12:52
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,609 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone can offer backpacking tips?

Check with the Israeli consulate in Singapore if you are able to obtain a visa to visit Israel, as till now only group visas were issued (individuals who come on a group tour).

Rdglady is correct that hostels in Israel are like HOTELS in other places and require advanced reservations in most instances and certainly during high season (December/January, March/April, July/August, September/October -- depending on the Jewish/National holidays in Israel).

Chana

Israel

Coventry
Level Contributor
258 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone can offer backpacking tips?

If you are going to Nazareth, definitely go to the Fauzi Azar inn...the best hostel we stayed at during our 14 day trip to Israel and Palestine. We stayed in the Citadel Hostel in Jerusalem, in the heart of the old city, we really liked the location of this hostel. We did 2 nights Jerusalem, 2 nights Bethlehem (couchsurfing), 1 night Jaffa..the hostel was new and ok, but really needs aircon (The Overstay), 2 nights Nazareth, 1 night Tiberias (Aviv hostel) 3 nights Nablus (Nablus Youth hostel) 1 night back in Bethlehem..Bethlehem youth hostel and 1 night jericho, Sami Guest house.

In Jordan I would recommend, Mariam hotel Madaba, Seven Wonders Bedoiun camp at Little Petra and Full moon bedoiun camp in Wadi Rum. Hope that helps a little and good luck with the trip.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone can offer backpacking tips?

Abraham Hostel in Jerusalem is like hostels in other countries that will sell you a bed in a shared dorm room - maybe around $25/night. That is NOT usual in Israel. Most hostels are part of the Israel Youth Hostel Association. These places are simple hotels, all the rooms are private with shower and toilet. They do not have dorm rooms. You will have to pay for a private room, expect to pay at least U.S. $85-90 night.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone can offer backpacking tips?

Thank you so much for your tips! I really appreciate it. It will definitely help my travel plan :) If anyone else has other tips, please do.

Edited: 01 September 2013, 16:25
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone can offer backpacking tips?

Hi..

Kalau kasih saran sih, untuk mempermudah mendapatkan visa

- jangan sendirian, kalau bisa booking tempat nginap selama tour di Israel (contohnya, 2 malam di Tiberias, 3 malam di Yerusalem, dan 1 atau 2 malam di tel aviv sudah cukup. dari tel aviv yerusalem juga cuman satu jaman naik transportasi umum.

penginapan di israel antara hotel dengan hostel atau lain sebagainya, banyakan malah hotel gede lebih murah, kecuali dorm yang tidur barang sama orang lain yg cuman sewa tempat tidur doank dan 1 kamar 6 sampai 8 orang.

kalau mau tanya tanya bisa contact saya in private messege...

I my self Indonesian live in Tel - Aviv

Edited: 02 October 2013, 14:07
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,756 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone can offer backpacking tips?

Cahkia--this is an English language forum I realize you, as an Indonesian are writing to make it easier for the poster to understand. The problem is --no one is able to verify exactly what you are saying and indicate whether they feel it is a good idea or not. Ioncar apparently reads and writes and excellent English!

I did put your post into google translate and it seems as if you are telling her not to do things on her own. ( google translate could be wrong) If that is true--that information is 100% incorrect.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,663 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone can offer backpacking tips?

Cahkia, I also ran your post through Google Translate (before I saw rdglady's post), but the result wasn't much more intelligible than the original! If you want to send a private message to ioncar, you can do so by clicking on her name under her photo, and then "send message".

And it is perfectly safe to travel alone, provided you use the same common sense as you would anywhere else.

Tel Aviv, Israel
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone can offer backpacking tips?

Hi all

What I told her in Indonesian is that:

I suggest her to travel with a group and not alone, and to book a place to stay, before you apply a Visa, to try and make it easier to get one.

I also told Her that the price difference between a hostel and a hotel is not always so big.

There are some Hotel that are cheaper than a Youth Hostel.

She could stay/book a place or hotel in Israel (example 2 nights in Tiberias, 3 nights in Jerusalem, 1 or 2 nights in Tel Aviv. 1 or 2 nights in Tel Aviv are enough.

Public transportation from Jerusalem to Tel Aviv or Tel Aviv Jerusalem takes about an 1 hour.

If she stays in a dorm with 4, 5 or 6 others people, its could be cheaper.

I told here to contact me with private message to get to know more about me, since we speak the same language and i could help with some information that might be helpfull in her adventure in Israel :D