We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be careful in choosing Israir Airlines

Paris, France
3 posts
Save Topic
Be careful in choosing Israir Airlines

I strongly warn all travelers considering purchasing tickets on Israir Airlines.

I had my return flight changed from midday to 5:10am and the customer service was unsympathetic when I--politely as I could manage--suggested that this was unreasonable. The representative somewhat patronizingly told me "sometimes airlines make a change" and that there would be no alterations or refunds for the extra 150€ I had spent on the Israir flight specifically so I wouldn't have to travel on a red-eye flight.

Edited: 01 September 2013, 09:59
Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,376 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Be careful in choosing Israir Airlines

I strongly suggest that you write to Israir and point out that you are very aware of the price difference between the two flights and that you demand a refund. Do not accept the decision of a lowly clerk !

From the Israir web site:

Written inquiries can be sent in one of the following ways:

Mailing address: POB 26444, Tel Aviv 63806.

Fax: 03-7969213.

Telephone calls to inquire on the status of an inquiry can be made Sunday to Thursday from 10 am to 2 pm (excluding Festivals) on 03-5115577.

Also send a copy to the Ministry of Tourism:

Ms. Aviva Avraham

email: AvivaA@tourism.gov.il

Keep us informed.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Be careful in choosing Israir Airlines

I cannot see why you are complaining. It happens with all airlines and is not something worthy of criticising any particular carrier about. It is rather unfair to particularise something that is a vicissitude of the industry to Israir.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,431 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Be careful in choosing Israir Airlines

I actually agree with both of these replies. It is NOT unique to Israir -- sadly, all airlines shaft their passengers like this all the time. It IS worth complaining about and seeking a refund of the extra amount you paid to have the time you wanted. You may not be successful -- that is more likely to work if you are a regular customer of the airline in question whose business they want to see kept -- but it's worth a try.

I see you are from France. Hands down, with no competition, the most miserable customer experience service of any airline in my life was with Air France. A flight was postponed and postponed and then eventually cancelled, massively inconveniencing hundreds of people. I was trapped at CDG, a terrible airport, for 36 hours. Air France personnel gave out almost no information, and when they did, outright lied on several occasions. Passengers for this UK-bound flight nearly rioted they were so angry, and the British are not known for demonstrative, hot tempers. But would I say "Never fly Air France again"? I'd prefer not to -- it really was abysmal customer service -- but I also know the reality of how bad airlines can treat folks.

I do not say this to provoke you about France -- I tell this story because yours seems fairly mild in comparison, and I offer it for perspective only. I fly a lot and fairly happily so, but it does happen.

But yes, I would try to get some money. I actually am thinking as I write this that I should have tried that with Air France. :-)

Good luck!

Douglas Duckett

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,711 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Be careful in choosing Israir Airlines

If there were scheduling changes and you fly within 12 hours of the original flight, there is no compensation. If the airline offered you a flight that you did not like and you decided to take a more expensive flight, that is your prerogative and no blame can be put upon the airline. Assuming you were flying on a charter Israir flight, scheduling changes are common -- on all Charter flights and for this reason they are much less expensive, until there is a change.

Hope you enjoyed your trip to Israel nonetheless.

Chana

Israel

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,092 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Be careful in choosing Israir Airlines

Unfortunately airlines do change schedules for various reasons. The impression I get is you talk Israir which was more expensive than an alternative airline since you liked the Israir flight time better. To be honest, in my wildest dreams I can't see them giving you a refund to enable their ticket to match the cost of the other airline.

Also, you didn't indicate why they departed later than scheduled. Was there a technical problem with the aircraft? Did France change their landing time? Without knowing these answers, you do not even begin, IMO, to have a leg to stand on. My personal feeling let it go. You'll only aggravate yourself, spend time and emotional energy and end up with the same nothing you have now. Sometimes you need to just move on.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,376 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Be careful in choosing Israir Airlines

I don't understand some of the responses here. Was the Israir 5:10 AM flight cheaper than the Israir midday flight ? If yes, why should he be charged more than the price of the flight that he took ? And what is the problem with writing a letter of complaint ? Sometimes customers are compensated out of goodwill even though technically they are not entitled to anything.

Paris, France
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Be careful in choosing Israir Airlines

Before I sound like a mean spirited traveler, let me be clear: my trip is not for several months.

If it were the day of the trip and there was an unexpected delay (weather conditions, etc) I would completely understand it as the 'vicissitudes' of the industry dcweymouth mentioned. This is not what happened, the time of the flight has been changed months in advance. Changing the schedule in advance and telling passengers to 'deal with it' just seems a bit odd to me based on my prior experiences flying.

Thank you everyone for the feedback.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,072 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Be careful in choosing Israir Airlines

Don't know what the regulations in Israel are, but, if your departure date is months away, you can ask for full refund. They broke the contract you have with them (midday to 5am is a serious time difference). If you still want to fly with them, then they should refund the ticket difference. Like you said, you paid extra for the convenience of an earlier flight. If they void that, then you are entitled to a refund. I had the same problem with jetblue, and the time difference was 4hrs. If that does not work, try a dispute with your credit card company.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,431 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Be careful in choosing Israir Airlines

This last response is true -- at least when I fly Delta, my usual airline. When they make a schedule change -- as nytoparis states, effectively breaking the contract -- you can cancel outright. Whether that is Israir's policy, I don't know -- but it should be every airline's policy, as you are not getting the flight you contracted for.

Now, that may not be a viable option, and if they offer that option but you decline it, then your case for a refund of the price difference is nil, in my view, because you had the option to get all of your money back. But if that is an option, I would absolutely ask for a refund.

Douglas Duckett

Edited: 01 September 2013, 13:39
Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,431 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Be careful in choosing Israir Airlines

To add, however, this is still not a reason to blast Israir in particular. Airlines do this ALL the time -- every airline in my experience. This is an industry issue, not an issue of one company. If that is a reason to boycott airlines, then you won't be flying at all.

Douglas Duckett