We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some musings ...

North Lanarkshire...
Level Contributor
607 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Some musings ...

It's now four weeks until I go on pilgrimage to The Holy Land. I am just so happy about this and the excitement and anticipation is growing by the day. The itinerary is amazing and I cannot believe some of the places I will experience.

The Almighty is good indeed.

That is all. I Just wanted to admit to my childish excitement :-)

PS Thank you to all who participate on this forum, giving your time so generously to help all who come here. I've been helped in so many ways, whether through direct answers to my questions or by my reading others' posts and answers. This forum is invaluable.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,447 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some musings ...

Anne, that is lovely. I get your excitement. I am returning in November for my twelfth visit, and I can tell you . . . .

* When I first see the Israeli coast from my airplane window, my heart will leap and I will tear up.

* I always pray Psalm 122 when I first see Jerusalem (and when I go to the Wall) and I always pray Psalm 137 when leaving the city -- and when I do it again on this trip, I will still tear up as well.

* When I see the Sun setting in the Mediterranean, the view of Haifa Bay, and just walking around Jerusalem, my heart will be full almost to bursting.

You're about to have a wonderful experience, and we rejoice with you.

Douglas Duckett

North Lanarkshire...
Level Contributor
607 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some musings ...

Thanks for that Douglas.

I just read those beautiful and very appropriate psalms. Our itinerary quotes paragraph and verse from Sacred Scripture when detailing the places we will visit. I am looking forward to reading and meditating on these particular pieces relating to our visits in the evenings before we take the trips.

I can see me being a bit of an emotional wreck on more than one occasion in October :-)

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,922 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some musings ...

I have just returned from my 18th trip to Israel. It is as exciting to go the 18th time as the first time. Be careful Anne, you may get 'hooked' and need to return again and again.

Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some musings ...

Beautiful Psalms Labatt, my anticipation of standing in Jerusalem for our first visit, is at a peak. Problem is I don't arrive till next June. Pray for the peace of Jerusalem, just this past week at mass I lit a candle and did just that. Seems like a dream, that I'll my feet will be standing within thy gates, O Jerusalem. Just can't wait to get to the place that I read of daily in The Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth(Bible). The Almighty is good indeed Anne. I also thank all those who participate in this forum, they have been a light unto my feet in planing our trip.

Edited: 08 September 2013, 02:33
Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,392 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some musings ...

As one who is now 'hooked' I share your excitement. It is 180 days until I leave for Israel again! :)

Anne, you will truly have a dream trip. I can't explain the amazing experience it is to see God's Word come to life. Some of the places just completely took my breath away.

Please come back and share your trip with us here, Everyone's experiences are different, *grin* and we would love to hear how you get on at Masada and the Dead Sea. ;).

North Lanarkshire...
Level Contributor
607 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some musings ...

Anmejoshme, I have a feeling a will become as hooked as others on here. :-)

Heather, hopefully my trips to The Dead Sea and Masada will prove completely uneventful.

I'm still not entirely convinced about Douglas' comments about the Snake Path though!

New Albany, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some musings ...

Anne F, I feel the same way and our trip isn't until May of next year.

My husband and I have ranked lists of places we want to visit. They aren't exactly the same and we take turns on choosing each year. Israel was higher on his list than mine and next year was his year to pick. However, I am the one that does the majority of the research for our trips and now I have to say that I it has catapulted to the top of my list too. I have even increased the number of days because I just couldn't leave some things out and am still frustrated that we don't have more time.

These forums have been invaluable to me as well. I find that even when I read a thread that I think will have no bearing on what I am planning, I often find a tidbit of information that is helpful to me. At some point, I will post my planned itinerary for refinement and advice and I know that I will get excellent responses.

I hope you have a wonderful trip Anne and I would look forward to reading a trip report from you.

Douglas Duckett - I read in an earlier thread that you are visiting Petra for the first time on your next trip. I will be particularly interested in hearing your report as I have crossed it of my "must see" list after reading reviews of the visible animal abuse. That is particularly sensitive to me and if it is as people have written, I wouldn't be able to take it. I will trust what you have to say.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Some musings ...

There are many excellent reviews about Petra and some about allegations if animal abuse..... I'm sure Douglas' review will be unbiased and clear but he's not goin until the end of the year!

Check out the Jordanian forums as well as previous Israeli reviews.

Having been there myself a couple times I can tell you that I did not see any signs of animal abuse. There is high usage of "beasts of burden", with whippings, and walking distances without water. Some may see this as abuse but I didn't.

You need to decide if those things are disturbing to you.

Dr. Z

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,392 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Some musings ...

When I went with my husband we didn't see any signs of animal abuse either. In fact, the opposite was true. We used the chariots to go through the Siq. They ensured that our party was split so that a light person was with a heavier person in each chariot - so that the horses didn't get more than one heavier person in each chariot.

Of course, you don't have to use any animals at all if you don't want to. You can walk through the Siq and once through that walk as much of the rest of the site as you want. For photographic purposes it is better to walk. We chose the chariots because my walking ability is limited due to a back problem.

Petra really is a 'must see' if you have the time to include it.

Edited: 09 September 2013, 16:31
New Albany, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Some musings ...

Thank you Heather and Drill-in-fill. I have always wanted to see Petra (I remember seeing if for the first time in the Indiana Jones movie and was amazed that it was a place that actually existed) and so I was disheartened to read those reviews. I have read many reviews that didn't see any abuse and if it had only been one rogue review then I could dismiss it. But there seemed to be several that described what I would call sadistic behavior, excessive whipping and kicking the donkeys and laughing at the tourists that showed concern, bloody hooves, using unwound wire hangers to whip them and yes, no apparent access to water. I'm no animal rights fanatic but seeing this would ruin the experience for me. I appreciate that many go and see none of this and have a wonderful time.