We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is taxi safe at Israel?

Manchester, United...
11 posts
Save Topic
Is taxi safe at Israel?

Hi all! I'm planning to go to Israel next year 2014 month of April. I have so many questions in my mind and I need all your help please. Is it safe to go by taxi from Tel Aviv Airport to the hotel that I book in Tel aviv or I'll asked the hotel to arrange a transfer for us. We're 5 persons in total including 2 kids. My first time to go to Israel and I don't know if it's safe for my family. Thank you very much for all your help.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is taxi safe at Israel?

It is perfectly fine to take a taxi from the airport and much cheaper than having the hotel make the arrangements. Just go out to the taxi stand and tell the dispatcher where you want to go, he will put you in a car and you will be told the set price to where ever you want to go in Tel Aviv. In fact it is perfectly safe to take a taxi anywhere in the country with your family. Israel is a very safe country to travel around in, you will be safe taking a taxi, taking a public bus, taking a train, walking the streets.....read some of the other posts on this forum with this regard.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,310 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is taxi safe at Israel?

It would be as safe as any other country.

The drivers, for the most part, are very good but you may come across a few that may drive a little agressively. I have seen MUCH worse in most other countries I've visited.

Dr. Z

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,398 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is taxi safe at Israel?

Just agreeing -- perfectly safe. It's a huge waste of money to arrange for a private transfer.

Douglas Duckett

Manchester, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is taxi safe at Israel?

Thank you all for your help. Your answers give me a peace of mind for me and my family.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,664 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is taxi safe at Israel?

Also, you didn't ask, but taxi drivers are not tipped in Israel. You might want to round the fare up, but even that isn't expected. If the fare comes to say 99 shekels and you give the driver a 100-shekel note, he will rummage around looking for change. You are of course free to tell him to keep it, but you don't need to feel you have to.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,753 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is taxi safe at Israel?

I think it is important for you to remember that Israel is a modern 21st century country. I do not think you would be worried take a cab in NY or London or Paris. Anything you do in these countries you can do in Israel. ( and in many ways Israel is much much safer)

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,609 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is taxi safe at Israel?

Safe for sure. However since you are 5 people you may want to arrange transportation in advance (taxi or otherwise) because you need a large vehicle. The advantage to this is not having to wait for such a taxi to show up. The dispatcher can call one if necessry. Note that you are not to accept a ride from anyone approaching you inside the arrivals terminal, but only from the official taxi dispatcher ourside the terminal to your left.

Israel
Level Contributor
290 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is taxi safe at Israel?

Its EXTREEEEEMLY safe but I would take 2 taxis or a larger car . You can not fit 5 people of any size plus 5 to 10 pieces of luggage into any regular cab. Enjoy yourselves and have fun.

9. Re: Is taxi safe at Israel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2014, 06:20