We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Israel and Petra trip

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Israel and Petra trip

Hi,

We are flying into Tel Aviv early on a Saturday morning and then leaving on a Sunday evening a week later so have around 9 days to explore. We want to see Jerusalem, Bethlehem, the Dead Sea, Tel Aviv, Galilee and Nazareth but would also LOVE to got to Petra. Can anyone advise of an efficient way of doing it all, not too expensive. We are thinking about hiring a car for Israel but it looks like we would probably need to jump on a tour for Petra due to the insurance issues for Israeli cars in Jordan.

Would be very grateful for any advice or tips if I have left something important out!

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
Desert Prime
Canyoning & Rappelling Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Eyal Korin- Ramon Crater Tours
Sightseeing Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours
Adam Sela
Sightseeing Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Canyoning & Rappelling Tours
London
Level Contributor
6 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Israel and Petra trip

And is it REALLY necessary to go to Petra from Eilat? I've read that most Petra tours start there so we'd have to stay there the night before and I would prefer to leave from Jerusalem or the Dead Sea.

2. Re: Israel and Petra trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 14 September 2013, 11:45
Edited: 14 September 2013, 11:45
Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,055 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Israel and Petra trip

I think you're trying to do too much in just nine days, which is barely enough time to scratch the surface of Israel itself. With travel time, a side-trip to Petra will take two days, maybe three, and you have little time to see the rest without just driving by it. As a point of reference, I spent a full week in Jerusalem on my first trip, and with my twelfth trip coming up in November, I will still be seeing new things in Jerusalem.

I am going to Petra on this upcoming trip for the first time, using Desert Eco Tours out of Eilat, but this is the first time. You are right that you cannot take an Israeli rental car into Jordan. And not much is inexpensive in Israel, including that trip, primarily because of the high border fees charged by the Jordanians.

Good luck!

Douglas Duckett

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Israel and Petra trip

Thanks Douglas, I think you may be right. It's a bit disappointing as I really wanted to see it all but I guess I will have to come again one day to see the bits I miss! Have you hired a car there to get around? Is that the best thing to do?

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
7,017 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Israel and Petra trip

Joanna, if you just want to do a day trip to Petra then you will need to go via Eilat. It would be too far, and more complicated to go from Jerusalem. The closest border to Jordan from Jerusalem is the Allenby border. However this is the only border point which requires you to have a visa in advance of the trip. It is also the busiest border and the queues there can be dreadful.. When my husband and I returned from a three day trip to Jordan via the Allenby bridge we were held up there for about three hours or more and for best part of two hours we were standing outside in the sun in a long queue. It just wouldn't work for a day trip. If you go via Eilat you can get picked up from your hotel at 7 am and you can be across the border quickly and easily within a short time. You then have a long drive to Petra and about four hours in Petra itself (not long enough to see everything) before having to return back to the border at Petra. It would be much better if you left this for a future visit to the area and had more time to spend in Petra itself.

Regarding hiring a car. You don't need a car for Tel Aviv or Jerusalem. I would suggest you start your trip in Tel Aviv. Stay there for a couple of days and then hire a car to go north to Nazareth and Galilee. Then go to Jerusalem at the end and return the car on arrival in Jerusalem, or after spending a day going to Masada and the Dead Sea.

There have been a lot of complaints on Trip Advisor about some of the car hire companies. The one that people are always happy with is Eldan. You should make sure that you book online to get a 20% discount. Also make sure you book at their Israeli website, not a foreign one, so that you are sure all costs are included. www.eldan.co.il

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
London
Level Contributor
6 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Israel and Petra trip

That's great advice. Thanks so much Heather!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
18,440 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Israel and Petra trip

I have to agree that with such a short time here Petra is not the best idea for this trip - it will eat up at least two, if not more, of your days here leaving you very little time to see things in Israel. I would suggest leaving it for another time.

Renting a car here is fine, as is driving here, just remember to rent on line and not in person and to use the Israel website, not the international one - that way you will be sure that the quote includes all the necessary insurance coverage and you won't have any surprises.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,752 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Israel and Petra trip

In any case you cannot take an Israeli rented car into Jordan but could drive to Eilat. I agree that you should drop the idea of Petra but if you insist you should arrange a one day tour including flights to/from Eilat. It is a very long day and not cheap but won't take much time off your visit. You could plan the tour for your date of arrival or departure which would be the most efficient way.

Chana

Israel

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Israel and Petra trip

Thanks for all of your input. We're going to drop Petra and enjoy spending time in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. Can't wait!

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
10. Re: Israel and Petra trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2014, 05:18