We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Complete Cost of Eldan Car Rental?

Reno, Nevada
2 posts
Save Topic
Complete Cost of Eldan Car Rental?

I have seen many positive reviews of Eldan Car Rental but I have had a hard time finding information on all the various fees which will be assessed when renting from them.

I used their online reservation system to see about how much it would be to rent their smallest car for a week at the end of December. The quote was $226.19 minus a $45.24 Internet discount for the rental rate and $70 for insurance.

This seems surprising low compared to a quick quote from one of the other big name car rental companies (which seemed to be about twice Eldan's price).

So I am wondering what people's experiences are with added fees from Eldan when you pick up the car.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,766 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Complete Cost of Eldan Car Rental?

Trying to understand exactly what you mean. I would imagine the quote is $250.95 for the week total. THAT, btw is expensive for Eldan!

BUT, assuming you did the week, put in accurate pick up and drop off charges ( airport has a surcharge for ALL companies) Chose Comprehensive insurance ( only 1 AMerican credit card allows you to take 3rd part liability only) then that is that. Extra charges that you could incur at the time of rental include

a. extra driver

b. ipad to use as a GPS device

c. surcharge for using Route 6 ( which is a toll road and it is entirely unnecessary to use)

d. child seat or booster seat.

BTW the number of manual cars owned by ALL companies is diminishing and odds are you will be getting an upgrade! ( unless you priced the "D" car which is the smallest automatic.

The only thing i would caution about a D car is that the "trunk" is really non-existant and if you are going to be carrying luggage from city to city and want to keep it hidden as you go to sites along the way, you will have difficulty.

Reno, Nevada
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Complete Cost of Eldan Car Rental?

Thank you for your reply!

To clarify, it was quoted at $180.95 for the week plus $70 for insurance. Total rental cost for the week would be $250.95.

Will they try to sell me extra insurance or anything like that when I pick up or will it only be the extras you wrote about?

Washington State
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Complete Cost of Eldan Car Rental?

Just a note, I've only rented from them once and found no unexpected fees, but I did take all the additional insurance. I don't want to mess with an insurance claim half a world away and I don't think my personal insurance covers this.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,766 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Complete Cost of Eldan Car Rental?

They will not try to sell you anything. THe "extra" insurance" is something that eliminates the deductible. The deductible is in the $400-$600 range! So, it is your choice if you want to risk that amount. Anything over that is covered by their CDW which you obviously ( from the numbers) have included in the price. I also assume from the price you are not renting at nor returning to , the airport.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Complete Cost of Eldan Car Rental?

Just returned my Eldan rental car 2 weeks ago. It was the 4th rental I did with them in Israel. I booked online and picked up at the airport. The costs were exactly as presented in my confirmation. In advance I requested a second driver and insurance coverage. When I picked up the car, I had to ask to purchase additional insurance. Since I was going to do city driving, I wanted a zero deductible. I also requested the pricing of a GPS which I thought was really expensive and I didn't take it.

Avoid taking Route 6 because the tolls are really high for rental cars as they also have an administration fee. Of course, if that is not a concern then there are times when it can be a time saver.

Keep in mind the cost of gas is quite expensive in Israel. In a week, it can add well over $100 to the cost of renting. If you are doing city driving (into or around Tel Aviv and Jerusalem) also budget for parking. Saving a few shekels by driving around for an hour looking for parking, isn't a savings at all. I have always been satisfied in renting from Eldan. Do look over some of the driving tips on this forum which can give you a heads up on some of the differences (although they are not great) between driving in Israel and the USA.

6. Re: Complete Cost of Eldan Car Rental?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2014, 05:17