We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe? & is it better than Jordan?

4 posts
Save Topic
Is it safe? & is it better than Jordan?

Hi all,

Planning a holiday for the last week of October. I want to do israel and Jordan but I'm aware a week is not long enough to do both! So should I choose israel or Jordan? What will we get the most out of?

Also, is it safe at the moment? We'll be travelling with our two kids, 6 and 13.

Thanks! :)

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,413 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe? & is it better than Jordan?

Israel is perfectly safe. I'm not objective, but most would agree that there are far more sites of monumental importance to all of humanity in Israel than you'll find in Jordan. I'd suggest spending much of your time in Jerusalem, the most fascinating city on earth.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,449 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe? & is it better than Jordan?

Israel is definitely safe. In terms of Israel vs, Jordan---you are on the Israel forum. What would you expect us to answer?--:) and the Jordanian forum would answer the opposite.

Objectively, make a list of what you want to see in each country and see which country has a longer list!

( now my subliminal message. Israel....Israel......Israel......Israel......)

4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe? & is it better than Jordan?

Thank you both for your advice. And yes I suppose I should have guessed which country you would advise to visit! I have also posted in the Jordan forum and so it will be interesting to see what I get there..

I am yet to look into an itinerary, but if there are any suggestions these would be gratefully received.

Thanks again

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe? & is it better than Jordan?

Israel is a very child friendly place with more activities to do then you could pack into a month of holidays, let alone a week. With beautiful beaches, world class children's museum, archeological and historical sites that have child friendly activities, great food, and nature, and so much more, Israel is a fantastic place to visit with children. I have prepared a document of activities for children and teens in Israel. It is 20 pages long! If you would like a copy of this please send me a private message with your email address and I will send you the document in a pdf. I am just a tourist to Israel like others but have gone many times with my own children and now I bring small groups of young teens. Looking at this document might give you some ideas of what you might like to do with your children in Israel and then you can also compare to Jordan.

It isn't fair to ask on one forum which is the better country to visit. Of course on the Israel forum, you are going to get Israel as the pick. You have to decide which you want.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
8,755 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe? & is it better than Jordan?

As a fellow tourist, having visited Israel before, and in the middle of planning a trip to Jordan and Israel, I would recommend you just do Israel this time. Granted I have yet to visit Jordan, but from research and my experience I would say that Israel is probably easier to tour with younger kids. Public transportation is more accessible, and probably driving is easier as well. Facilities at landmarks will likely be more developed. There are many historical places to visit, as well as different nature spots to explore. A week will be just enough time for a quick exploration of the country.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,303 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe? & is it better than Jordan?

Taking advice from someone that has not been to both probably wouldn't be that great......

I've been to both.

Both countries are easy to visit with kids. Both countries have public transit. With Jerusalems light rail and extensive Egged routes, I would give the nod to Israel.

Israel has more sites of biblical and historical interest. Jordan is less expensive.

For time, a proper tour of Israel should be about 12-14 days. For Jordan, 7-10 days.

Dr. Z

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
8,755 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe? & is it better than Jordan?

Drill-n-fill, thanks for that!

Having different opinions and perspectives is what TA is about. I am not a DE in my home forum but a regular contributor, plus I also follow the boards of the places I'm about to visit.. And I can tell you that sometimes the opinion of a visitor and not a local is very helpful and much more insightful.

In any case, I could just say that in this case the opinion of a DE for Israel is biased and thus not that great....

And, btw, everyone in the Jordan forum is telling her to go to Jordan.

Edited: 19 September 2013, 13:04
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe? & is it better than Jordan?

Of course an opinion is 'biased' that is why it is called an 'opinion' and not a fact.

Asking a question on a forum about Israel or Jordan for that matter, in itself can only result in opinions. All opinions count. Like I said before, it isn't fair to ask which country is better to visit, of course those who regularly participate on the forums of one country are more than likely to recommend that country.

I have been to both Israel and Jordan with my teen daughter so even went with a teen as the OP is proposing to do. The OP can collect the opinions and facts presented and make their own decision.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,460 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe? & is it better than Jordan?

Its safe in both countries. I suggest making a list of priorites(interests) as well as a budget for the trip. This will give you insight as to what is available in each country as per your budget -- and thus better help with your decision.

Chana

Israel

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
8,755 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe? & is it better than Jordan?

Anmejoshme, i was just answering drill-n-fill. I agree, every opinion counts.