We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Map of Israel

Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Map of Israel

Found a site with what looks to be a couple decent maps of Israel for those driving about the country. www.omnimap.com/catalog/int/israel.htm#p4. Also found a navigation app that looks good so far, still in the testing stage. It's called Sygic, have it on my Android. Can preset routes, and save them for when you arrive. Wonder if anyone has actually used Sygic in country.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,020 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Map of Israel

Shawn, I had a look at the site out of curiosity, and clicked on the first sample image (under Digital Israel Road Maps), and I immediately saw some very odd things that can lead to problems, especially when using a GPS. They are not inaccuracies, they are merely rather peculiar transliterations/translations, that you might not come across anywhere else.

Ein Khemed: everywhere I have seen this written, including on road signs, is Ein Hemed.

Ya'ar Yerushalayim is the Jerusalem Forest, and nobody speaking English, unless they are talking to a local who knows exactly what they mean, calls it Ya'ar Yerushalayim.

And so on. And I don't know what "Round Jerusalem Wall" refers to. Since the sample is cut off at that point, it's hard to be sure, but it is not the security barrier. It appears to be Road No. 60.

This isn't to say that any other maps, whether paper or online, would be better. It's merely an illustration of problems that are likely to arise, and why even the best maps with place names written in Latin characters may cause more difficulties than they solve.

Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Map of Israel

Thanks Shuff, that's why I'm also getting in hand maps.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,238 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Map of Israel

I really like the Carta and MAPA road maps. You can find both on line.

Douglas Duckett

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Map of Israel

The second map on that page (by Israeli "MAPA") is a good map, but sold much more cheaply in Israel, and there's already the 2014 version (they sell the 2011 version on that website).

I would say, hold on till you get to Israel. Bear in mind you get free road maps when you rent a car, and you can take maps for free from any tourism information center. There's even a tourism information center at the airport, in the baggage claim area, so you'll have maps even before you get out of the airport.

Edited: 20 September 2013, 12:45
Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Map of Israel

Didn't realize that, thanks Amos. Heard there may be some issues translating some road signs from Hebrew to English. Would be nice to have a map that had both Hebrew and English on it if this is an issue. Heard of any such map?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,020 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Map of Israel

A map with names in both Hebrew and English would be so cluttered with lettering that it would be difficult to read.

All road signs have place names written in Latin characters as well as Hebrew; see here for loads of examples:

http://tinyurl.com/q9j72eb

Sometimes the English and the Hebrew are not on the same sign, but the English one will be only a few yards after the Hebrew one.

To clarify: the numbers next to the place names on the first one on the top left-hand side are distances in kilometers. 40 and 12 in red borders are road numbers. In the pic below that one, 1000 on yellow is distance (in meters) to the exit; and 4111 is the road number.

Edited: 20 September 2013, 13:27
Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Map of Israel

Thanks Shuff, I see you just have to focus in on your language. I assume the multi lingo or multiple road signs are threw out the country. We'll be staying in Yavne'el, and taking a trip up to Dishon for some ATV fun.

Edited: 20 September 2013, 13:37
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,020 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Map of Israel

Yes, all the road signs are like that, in three languages, throughout the country.

Direction signs on most roads are green; direction signs on major highways are blue; signs pointing to tourist attractions, archeological sites and so on are brown.

http://tinyurl.com/ntxmaaq

You can see it says Masada in English. The two symbols are (on the right) national park; (in the centre) archeological site.

And you can scroll down for more examples.

Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Map of Israel

Great info, many thanks to all.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,813 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Map of Israel

Another idea is to print out google maps for directions. I don't print them all out--I just print out sections where there are changes or loads of small roads. On occasion I have had problems with google spellings, but it usually is okay. ( okay, they can't spell the street I live on in Netanya but.....)