We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eldan steals money 3 months after car rental

Prague, Czech...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Eldan steals money 3 months after car rental

Hi,

in May I rented a car in Eldan company. Everything appeared ok, they took money from my account for car rental as we agreed two weeks later (in July). That should be all to our agreement. But now I listed my e-banking account history and found out that in September they charged another 15 Euro. I don't know anything about this transaction, nobody from Eldan didn't coctact me nor asked me so I'm afraid they try to steal money from people account after a while. I've searched littled bit on the internet and found that more people have same problem. They remember your card details and try... What I now have to do is to block the credit card because of this "great" company. I've read they keep trying and that's the only way.. I rented a car many times elsewhere and this never happened so my advice is to STAY AWAY FROM ELDAN.

Edited: 27 September 2013, 12:27
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,680 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eldan steals money 3 months after car rental

Before you get more worked up - did you use Highway 6 at any time with your rental car? Or the express Tel Aviv Lanes, or the Carmel Tunnels in Haifa? All of these routes incur a toll which is applied later.

If you used any of these routes you will have been charged for these fees when Eldan got billed from them and then sorted out the paperwork to see who had the car the date of the charge.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eldan steals money 3 months after car rental

I rented a car from Eldon for a week last May as well with no extra charges since. Not only was it one of the less expensive car rentals Ive ever had but they were suppose to charge me for the iPad rental but have yet to do so. I would totally rent from them again.

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eldan steals money 3 months after car rental

Oreets' explanation sounds very likely. 15 euro is just the kind of amount that might be due after using Highway 6 (if anything, it sounds a bit low given the rental companies' commission charge for this). And if someone was really trying to steal from you, they'd probably try to get away with more than 15 euro.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,925 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eldan steals money 3 months after car rental

Three months is the time period for charging for electronic tolls. If you used a toll road, now would be about the time the charge comes through. The price is the actual toll plus a hefty admin charge. This is in the rental agreement but sometimes people miss this and land up taking Rte 6 without realizing it is a toll road. When you are dealing with different languages and heavy, fast moving traffic, you are sometimes following the GPS or map and not realizing that the road is in fact an electronic toll.

I have rented from Eldan several time and have not had an issue with charges after the fact.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
746 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eldan steals money 3 months after car rental

I agree with Oreets. It is most likely a charge for use of Route 6/Carmel tunnels/TA express lanes.

Just to illustrate:

The toll setup for route 6 is modeled after that of Canada's Route 407, running from just east of Toronto to the Hamilton area. I drove my rental car extensively on the 407, and was billed only about 6 months later. This is because it takes time until the the rental company receives the charge and processes it. However, I knew all this in advance, so I was expecting it. Do what I did: Ask the rental company for a detailed calculation of the fee they charged, just to check that it is correct. Let us know what happens eventually.

Edited: 28 September 2013, 14:05
Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
23 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eldan steals money 3 months after car rental

You have the right to challenge this charge with your bank. If it is a legitimate toll, of course, you should just pay it.

I rented a car overseas last spring. When I returned it, the co. inspected it, totalled up the bill, and I paid it in full. Months later, I received an additional charge. I challenged it and, after investigating, the bank reversed the charge. (Actually, what they do (by law) is suspend the charge, then hold it till the investigation is finished and then either reinstitute it or take it off permanently.

The rules are different for credit, debit and direct to your account charges but you do have recourse in most cases. Talk to your bank if you still think this charge is questionable.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,360 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eldan steals money 3 months after car rental

I have been renting from Eldan since 2001. I rent a minimum of 3 times a year and the past few years it has been more like 7-10 rentals a year. I never had false charges. 15 Euros or about $20 sounds EXACTLY like the charge for Route 6, There is a 50 NIS administrative fee for driving the road. That is about $14 and the balance would be the toll itself. Don't forget---there are NO toll booths when you enter route 6 BUT an overhead camera reads your license plate. At the end of the month they send bills to the owners of the vehicles. The owner, in this case Eldan has to figure out which renter had the car when the charge was incurred ( thus the administrative fee) AND then they process a charge. YOU signed permission for this when you signed the contract! I have found that Eldan does also send you the paperwork--but since they send it by snail mail to your address, it takes awhile.

So, while you could challenge it with your credit card company --Eldan WILL be able to prove the charge.

note to Oreet ( and others) If you drive the Carmel tunnels and go all the way to the left here are cash lanes.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,680 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eldan steals money 3 months after car rental

To highlight what has been said here with a personal example - I rented a car in the US in July - about 6 weeks after the rental I was charged an additional small charge (around $6) with no explanation - just today I received a letter from the rental company explaining that the charge was for a toll that I incurred (and yes, I do remember the situation) - why didn't I get an explanatory letter? Well they sent one, rather promptly but for some reason the person who read my address as Israel sent it to Iceland!!

My suggestion - a bit more patience, try to contact Eldan again for an explanation - now that the holidays are over in Israel, things will get back to normal this week.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eldan steals money 3 months after car rental

I just got done renting from Eldan and it's an experience I do not care to repeat. My issue is that the GPS in the car does everything it can to try to throw you onto Highway 6 even when it's uncalled for. Case in point -- On two separate days I needed to head West from Jerusalem, on one day to St. George's Monastery which is entirely reachable via Highway 1 (exit Mistspe Yeriho) and then another day down to Ein Gedi taking Highway 1 via Highway 90. On BOTH occasions, the GPS attempted to set me on the most time-consuming route, leading me back into the middle of the country to bafflingly take Highway 6. It appeared to be desperately trying to set me toward the Dead Sea via Beersheva from Jerusalem, which is insanity. Anyway, the entire miserable episode reeked of collusion with whichever entity it is that extracts the tolls and set me back an hour time-wise in both instances. I finally was obliged to turn the GPS off for much of my trip.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,680 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eldan steals money 3 months after car rental

Sorry you had an unpleasant experience, but what you experienced was totally avoidable.

First of all to get to St. George's Monastery and Ein Gedi from Jerusalem you go east and not west.

You should have been able to program certain parameters to your GPS which would have instructed it to avoid toll roads - the problem in your case is not that it was looking for a toll road since had you followed the GPS you would have taken a roundabout route, but the southern portion of Hwy 6 it sent you to is free - no tolls.

The issue is that you also needed to program the GPS to allow you to drive in Area C.

Just another one of the reasons that I am not a fan of GPS for tourists - there are too many factors that you need to be aware of and that most tourists are not.

Your only real complaint is with the GPS and that could have been alleviated with some help from Eldan, but it is not really their fault.