We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arranging for a Baptism at Qasr el Yahud

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
78 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Arranging for a Baptism at Qasr el Yahud

Hi-I didn't see this on any forum questions. I would like to get Baptized while in Israel. And want to go to Qasr el Yahud. I have arranged for a car and driver, but I don't know how to arrange for the baptism. Do I need to arrange my own baptism privately? Is there a priest on site who will perform the ceremony "on demand?" Do they sell the white robes there? Please help.....

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,125 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arranging for a Baptism at Qasr el Yahud

If you want to be baptized at Qar el Yahud you need to arrange for this privately. There is no priest on site, nor are there white robes, or any other paraphernalia available there.

If you choose to go to Yardenit for your baptism, they do have a shop that sells white robes, etc.

Haifa
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arranging for a Baptism at Qasr el Yahud

There are white robes on sell in the small souvenirs shop in Qasr El Yahud.

But no priest.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
78 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arranging for a Baptism at Qasr el Yahud

Thank you -very helpful

North Lanarkshire...
Level Contributor
626 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arranging for a Baptism at Qasr el Yahud

I imagine you would need to speak to a pastor of the denomination you want to be baptised into.

For example, I know that if an adult wants to be baptised into the Roman Catholic Church they need to be catechised and duly prepared beforehand.

I'm not sure what other denominations do though.

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,531 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arranging for a Baptism at Qasr el Yahud

At Yardenit, if you let them know in advance, they can arrange a priest to baptise you. I don't know whether that is just for Catholics (given the use of the word 'priest' on their website) or whether any Protestant denominations are involved also.

The page that mentions this is here:

http://www.yardenit.com/?section=61&item=85

If you are in a party where you have your own pastor then everything is usually arranged by those organising the tour.

North Lanarkshire...
Level Contributor
626 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arranging for a Baptism at Qasr el Yahud

Anglicans have priests as do the Orthodox Churches, as well as Roman Catholics. I believe some people call themseves priests although they're not necessarily affiliated to a mainstream denomination.

Washington State
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arranging for a Baptism at Qasr el Yahud

I'm not trying to talk you out of this, but have you seen the water there? It's kind of gross....

Feb of 2012 from the Jordan side:

…blogspot.com/-xGUsRTftFdY/…IMG_2289.JPG

Pinetop-Lakeside...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arranging for a Baptism at Qasr el Yahud

Agreed that the water there is not real clear, November 2011:

EDIT, guess posting a photobucket pic doesn't work here

I never stopped at Yardenit so I can't compare, but they do have robes. They do not have clergy.

Happy travels!

Edited: 30 September 2013, 03:27
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,125 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arranging for a Baptism at Qasr el Yahud

"Agreed that the water there is not real clear" is sadly an understatement - I've never quite understood, despite the religious significance how anyone can willingly go into the water there. "Kind of gross" comes closer to the situation.....

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
435 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arranging for a Baptism at Qasr el Yahud

Qasr el Yahud is more interesting to visit (Jordanian border, monasteries, etc.).

Yardenit (further upriver) has the benefit of huge trees providing shade and definitely cleaner water.