We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jordan border crossings on Fridays

New Jersey
Level Contributor
126 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Jordan border crossings on Fridays

I am in the preliminary stages of planning a trip to Jordan and Israel for this coming April. Our tentative plans are to arrive in Amman on April 11 and leave on the 19. We will have to cross from Israel to Jordan on Friday April 18 at the Beit Shean/Sheikh Hussein crossing. Is there an issue with timing the crossing due to Shabbat?

Also are there minimum stay requirements in Eilat and the Makkhtesh Ramon area due the Passover holiday? We would like to spend one night in each location. If there are certain places that you know do not have minimum stay requirements please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your input.

:

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,418 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jordan border crossings on Fridays

The opening hours of the border crossings are different on weekends (in Israel that is Friday-Saturday). According to the official website of Sheikh Hussein crossing (called "Jordan River" crossing on the Israeli side) the opening hours on Friday are 08:00-19:00. However, this might be changed due to Passover vacation, and that we would know only about a month before Passover.

Official website: iaa.gov.il/Rashat/…UsefulPhones

Hotels: I would say it would be (almost) impossible to find a one-night deal in Eilat during Passover. Therefore, try to reserve now. That could be easier in Mitzpeh Ramon, but again do the reservation now.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
126 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jordan border crossings on Fridays

Another border crossing question. I was originally thinking of crossing from Jordan to Israel at Eilat on April 15 which I just realized is the first day of Passover. Will this be a problem?

I checked the hotel we want to stay at in Mitzpeh Ramon and we cannot stay for one night right smack in the the middle of Passover but we can stay April 13-14. So I am now considering doing the trip in the opposite direction which would mean avoiding crossing into Israel at Eilat on the first day of Passover and allowing us to stay in Eilat for 2 nights assuming we can find a place there on April 14-15.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,906 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jordan border crossings on Fridays

I would not count on a two night stay in Eilat except at the cheaper hotels that generally cater to the younger crowd which means alit of noiise. Minimum nights in just about any hotel in rhe country including Tel Aviv and Jerusalem is three nights.

You could visit the Makhtesh on the way north if your itinerary allows such.

Chana

Israel

New Jersey
Level Contributor
126 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jordan border crossings on Fridays

Thanks Chana. I was just checking the hotel websites at the same time you posted and yes, the minimum for the better hotels is 3 nights. I think we may have to find other accommodations such as the Kibbutz hotels in the Arava.

What about the border crossing from Jordan into Eilat on April 15? Is this possible?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
126 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jordan border crossings on Fridays

Bumping. I couldn't open the link to the Jewish Holiday hours at border crossings that was imbedded in the link that Amos posted. I still need to know the hours at the Jordan-Eilat crossing on April 15. Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,128 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Jordan border crossings on Fridays

I also couldn't get that link open, but there is a "contact us" on the website.

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,391 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jordan border crossings on Fridays

I don't think the information will be available yet. Did you see this in Amos' post...

<<<However, this might be changed due to Passover vacation, and that we would know only about a month before Passover.>>>

If they don't normally make any announcements until a month before you might be better to avoid that date completely if you can,

8. Re: Jordan border crossings on Fridays

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2014, 06:21