We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner to be included or not in tour

Chino, California
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Dinner to be included or not in tour

Will be visiting Israel in November and taking an 11 day tour. Would you recommend including dinner as part of my tour or do it on my own? If I include it will cost me about $15 (US) per day. Thanks.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,747 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinner to be included or not in tour

No. You'll pay more but get out of the hotel and experience some of Israel's terrific and wildly varied food. You'll love it!

Douglas Duckett

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,925 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinner to be included or not in tour

Which hotels will you be staying in ?

Washington State
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dinner to be included or not in tour

Just to argue the other side, often by the end of the day you are exhausted. I find that on most tours, most people are happy to grab dinner as early and easily as they can and get to bed early. Eating at the hotel makes that easy and usually the food is, at least, OK.

If you are a foodie, this doesn't work. But at the end of a day of touring, you will need to figure out where to eat, see if you need/can get a reservation, get a taxi there and one back, and (often) get back late. If you really love dining out, it will be worth the effort. If not...

At any rate, most hotels will allow you to decide on the spot that you will eat there, but you will pay a rate the is somewhat higher that the pre-purchase price.

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dinner to be included or not in tour

If you are on your own for lunch, then I'd say take the hotel dinner for the reasons PastorAl cited. You'll have a chance to explore food options at lunchtime at a decent price. But if your lunches are included as part of the tour, then it may be a bit boring to not have any flexibility in your meals.

Again , if you are a foodie, you'll get quickly bored with hotel dinners.

Also, hotel dinners are usually buffet-style meat meals (as opposed to dairy), so take that into account when making your choice.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,343 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dinner to be included or not in tour

$15 a day for dinner is a good price. To beat that price you will have to limit your dinners to falafel, pizza, shawarma or at most a small salad.

As already noted, if you are a "foodie" this may not be the best option for you, on the other hand if variety of cuisine is not a big deal for you then I would go with the hotel dinners - you can always go out in the evening to walk around and get the feel of the area you will be staying.

Just to give you a better idea of what you will be getting in these buffet meals - there will be a wide array of salads - usually more than 10 different types of salads. You will probably have a choice of 3-4 entries ranging from fish to chicken to beef along with hot sides, at least one type of potatoes, one of rice, pasta, etc. There will also be a dessert bar - so you will have quite an assortment to choose from.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,101 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dinner to be included or not in tour

Go for the dinners included in the tour. You got good advice from others to do that. You will stay at some places where restaurants are not available or far from your hotel. The price is only 15$ so if you feel like skipping a dinner or two when you are In Jerusalem or somewhere else just go for it.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,364 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dinner to be included or not in tour

I think Shoshi has the best idea. Go for the dinners, but go with the understanding ( between yourselves) that you will skip out a few nights and get outside the hotel. There is so much to see and you do not have to be a foodie to want to eat in a restaurant and see what Israel is like. Even if lunch is NOT included, lunches on tours are frequently road stops where your choices and time are very very limited. With very large hotel breakfasts--I've been known to grab an ice-cream and call it lunch----back in the days when I traveled with a group!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,458 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dinner to be included or not in tour

Take the included dinners. As mentioned, many days exhaustion will take over and you'll just want to stay in the hotel. If one evening you feel like something different go out. Yes a waste of $15 but it gives you the option of flexability. Not all hotels are in a city with restaurants nearby meaning you will ne eating in the hotel (lobbyy/restauraunt as oppsed to dining room)in any case.

Chana

Israel

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,700 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dinner to be included or not in tour

The half-board option is definitely the way to go - especially at the price it's been offered to you.

Chino, California
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dinner to be included or not in tour

Thank you very much for your comment. I will keep that in mind...I am leaning towards that.