We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental insurance

Houston, Texas
12 posts
Save Topic
car rental insurance

I have read many posts here about the car insurance in Israel, but am still a bit confused.

We don't have any special kind of credit card. Sobthe cdw is required to rent, but now my husband says we have to pay extra for more protection. About $15-$20 per day?

We are going for 15 days, the car and cdw is about $500 plus $225 for the extra coverage. Does this sound right??

Also we are renting a Mazda 2 in Netanya, and returning at Ben Gurion. From what i see online they don't charge extra fees for pick up and drop off at different locations. Right?

If anyone who lives in Israel can call Eldan and ask in Hebrew that would bebso helpful!!!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,324 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental insurance

Hi! I am a regular Eldan renter and can respond for you.

First of all--you are Renting an E car which includes Mazda 2. It may or may not be a mazda 2 and if you look at the website it says "or similar"

The extra insurance basically is beyond the CDW which has a deductible. For an E class it is, I think $700--it says what it is on your reservation. The extra insurance brings the deductible down to nothing. It also means you don't have to look at the car for dings and dents--since all is covered. Over the years--since I am probably renting 40-50 days a year, I do not pay, ( I am in essence self-insuring) BUT this is a 100% personal choice. A friend and I rented a car last week in Florida and DID take the extra insurance.

There is NO charge to return the vehicle at a place different from where you picked it up. There IS ( by all companies) a surcharge to pick up or return vehicles to the airport. If they already know you are doing this--it is in the price already. If not, I think it is $27 but I could be wrong.

Be aware that the Netanya Eldan office near the Kikar ( Square) in the center of town is closing effective tomorrow. You will have to pick up your vehicle in the New Industrial Zone. ( Poleg, the area where Ikea and BIG are located BUT not exactly near those stores)

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,436 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental insurance

In general rhe cost of car insurance is almost half the cost of the rental fee.

Chana

Israel

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,743 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental insurance

IF you have a MasterCard World Card that offers CDW coverage in Israel (the World Card is the only US card that does so, and you need to verify it with your bank and bring a letter confirming that), you should be able to pay for the mandatory third-party liability insurance only (LI or TP) instead of the full CDW package, which also includes the LI or TP cost. That cuts your cost. If something happens, you will need to deal with your credit card insurer. So take that option (including me); others prefer to pay more for the "peace of mind" factor.

Otherwise, yes, the insurance is very expensive, outrageously so in my view.

Douglas Duckett

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,324 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental insurance

$500 for 15 days included CDW sounds about right for an automatic Mazda 2 type vehicle. If you are considering Douglas's plan ( which I do NOT do) I would suggest you go back to the Eldan site and do a "dummy" booking to find the price without the CDW.

Actually, I just did it both ways for Nov. 4-19 ( which is 15 days) It came up as $473.? for full rental with CDW and $425.? for liability only! For $45 I wouldn't want to mess with a credit card. The extra full insurance isn't quoted online. AND now I am wondering. Where did you get the $500 amount from. If you booked on the phone--I suggest you first make a new reservation online.

BTW the website is acting wonky ( too complicated to explain) and throwing weird numbers. It just went down and then up. --Try booking--if it is less--go for it, Eldan will back it. If you feel better, hold the two reservations until you get the confirmation!

Level Contributor
582 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental insurance

I found an Eldon website that converts to English. I, too, have had trouble with getting a quote. I wrote them and they are aware of the problem, and looking into it. Presently, I am unable to see what the cost is, at all.

From what I am reading here, it sounds like a person can rent a car with comprehensive insurance for about $35 a day from Eldon.

You rent regularly from them, rgdlady? Have you found their service good?

How does this price compare to other rental groups?

Thanks!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,743 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental insurance

Rdglady will answer for herself, of course, but I have used Eldan several times and will continue to do so. They have the best customer service of the lot, though not perfect. They have far more offices than the others. And I have always found their prices very competitive, particularly with the Internet discount. If you get a far lower price, count on a far iffier experience (see all the negative Sixt reviews).

Douglas Duckett

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,324 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental insurance

I had been using Eldan regularly for the past 12 years or so. For 8 of those years I rented 3-4 times a year. Now I have been renting twice that amount. Unfortunately, they closed my local Netanya office and I am going to have to go elsewhere.

Level Contributor
582 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car rental insurance

Okay ... thanks, Douglas and rdglady.

9. Re: car rental insurance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2014, 06:20