We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Israeli hotels world's seventh most expensive

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Israeli hotels world's seventh most expensive

Sad, but true.

www.globes.co.il/serveen/globes/docview.asp…

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,718 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Israeli hotels world's seventh most expensive

But not the most expensive.

Chana

Israel

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Israeli hotels world's seventh most expensive

And there are still great bargains to be had.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,106 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Israeli hotels world's seventh most expensive

It is important to remember they are comparing average prices. Average means half are more and half are less. No one should construe this as you can't find a less expensive option, BUT Israel is not a cheap travel destination.

australian
Level Contributor
4 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Israeli hotels world's seventh most expensive

Not half more/half less expensive, that would be "median". But sorry for being pedantic.

Don't stay in a hotel! try B and B's or apartments - far cheaper and often better located!

If looking for alternative accommodation then the airbnb website is fantastic.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,106 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Israeli hotels world's seventh most expensive

Yes yummy, technically that is median--but I wasn't teaching a Math class, I was talking practicalities.

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
3,002 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Israeli hotels world's seventh most expensive

Whether median or average, Israeli hotels are too expensive, in absolute terms and for what they give (as a generalization, of course).

Some of our friends abroad should consider introducing a Premier Inn type chain here. It would be a massive service for visitors, domestic tourists, and the Israeli tourism industry.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,435 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Israeli hotels world's seventh most expensive

I agree, PRSV. Everyone on this forum who knows me knows of my loyalty to the country and that I am no Israel-basher. I am coming in two weeks and again next May and I hope every year after that.

But love and loyalty do not mean denying reality. The prices of hotels in Israel are for the most part ridiculously high for what you get. Yes, there are more reasonable options -- but far too few.

Douglas Duckett

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Israeli hotels world's seventh most expensive

And.....to add my own .02 to the discussion....I often wonder...."WHY?" Why are hotels so expensive here (and, of course in other places as well)....when compared to, of course, USA (since I am American and most all of my travel is within the USA borders).......................??

Curt and I spent almost a week in Ft. Walton Beach, FL a year ago when I was in the recording studio for a few days and had a really, really wonderful, large room with king bed with pillow top mattress....plenty of space, desk, big TV and so on and so forth (full breakfast included)....for $100 a night. The cheapest hotel we stayed in on this Israel trip was $183 a night and was adequate.....I would stay there again ....but, old and "tired" and so on (and no breakfast buffet at this one...just a menu with a limited selection for their guests "free" breakfast.....).....why does it cost 3 to 4 X as much for Israeli hotels?

Yes, I have learned to compensate on these trips during the Jerusalem portion by renting an apartment.............but, I will admit a hotel where somebody "takes care of you" is quite nice. *grin*

Kathy

9. Re: Israeli hotels world's seventh most expensive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2014, 06:20